User Avatar Image

Unused Material from the original King's Quests (and other Sierra games)!

posted by Akril15 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Hello all,

I plugged this site in another subforum, but with the recent announcement from Telltale that resulted in the addition of this nice new subforum, I figured that I'd advertise it again here.

Occasionally, I like to poke into the resource files of old adventure games to see if I can uncover anything interesting. Sometimes I find sprites, backgrounds and dialogue that never appear in the final product (sort of like deleted scenes on a DVD). I found so many interesting items in the files of Sierra On-Line's games that I decided to put together a small site to showcase them. Here's a trio of teaser backgrounds I found in King's Quest V, VI and VII:

Wow, the quality of King's Quest V's backgrounds sure improved a lot since this scene was made.

I don't remember this part of the Realm of the Dead...

...And I don't remember this part of Vulcanix either!

Here's a link to the page covering King's Quest V and VI[/URL] (along with several other Sierra games), and here are the first and second of King's Quest VII. I also have a page for "Inside the Chest" and "Behind the Developers' Shield", two programs that came with the first and second KQ Collections (but not the 2006 collections -- Thanks, Vivendi Universal). There's a lot of behind-the-scenes art shown in those programs, but there's even more of it hidden in the resource files. And it doesn't really need to be said at this point, but SPOILER ALERT!!! (And enjoy!)

(By the way, this whole site originally started out as a couple of pages full of stuff I'd found just in the resource files of King's Quest VII -- that game is bursting at the seams with unused material...including this. I don't know what the heck the story behind this picture is -- it looks like it's straight out of Space Quest 6!)

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thom-22 said: Hmmm... I am replaying KQV right now, from GOG.com, and that scene definitely *is* in the game.

What's changed is the picture in the Restore/Restart/Quit screen. In the original game IIRC it shows a simple tombstone. However, this guy hacked the game files to use an alternate image from the KQ5 resources, which shows the innkeeper's face leering at you (with a gold tooth glinting).

• @Sarendor said: This is an unused death animation from King's Quest V. And gosh, thanks for it! I died this way so many times, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see it each time.

I've seen that video before, and if that animation of the innkeeper's face had been in the game, I definitely would have remembered it. Brrr.

@Sarendor said: I'd rather pay you just to see the storyboard intro you have for KQ7, and an actual KQ9 game based on your fanfic. Have you ever considered doing it with Flash? Your Flash animations are quite good.
    Heh, thanks again. I've tried making adventure games in Flash before, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I've gotten a lot more comfortable with Adventure Game Studio now. As for making an actual game out of that story...who knows? Maybe someday.

• This may not be quite the right thread, but here's something interesting:

This is an early screenshot of Alexander confronting the Lord of the Dead in KQ6.
    kq6deathearly2.png

In the final game Alexander's sprite was completely redrawn and his costume altered slightly.
    kq6deadlord2a.png

In the WIP screenshot, Alex's costume is modeled more closely on this drawing seen in the KQ6 hint book. Interesting that the image seems to show Alex with longer hair.
    kq6alexhb.png

There are also four early concept sketches for Alexander's costume, which likewise show him with a mane of long, flowing hair.

Much as KQ7 Valanice's appearance reuses some things from an early sketch of her for KQ6, Alex's early long hairstyle was later given to Edgar in KQ7:

kq7edgar.png

I should also mention that, as can be seen in the Making of KQ6 video found on the game CD, the actor who played Alex in the motion-capture sessions seems to have had long hair tied in a ponytail (visible at 2:36 in this video). Perhaps this was a remnant of the "long-haired Alexander" idea? Or was it just the actor's actual hair, and thus always meant to be edited out later by the artists?

---

Akril, a few notes on miscellaneous things on your site:

The early "granite" high-res Sierra logo from the KQ7 resource files is actually the one used in the Windows version of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

The motion-capture animation of a StarCon red-tuniced officer waving around a stick from SQ5 seems to be intended (in my guess) to be an officer cleaning a window with a wiper, as seen through the glass from the other side. It was probably scrapped because the guy isn't wearing a spacesuit.

• @ATMachine said: What's changed is the picture in the Restore/Restart/Quit screen. In the original game IIRC it shows a simple tombstone. However, this guy hacked the game files to use an alternate image from the KQ5 resources, which shows the innkeeper's face leering at you (with a gold tooth glinting).

you're pretty much a superhero..

• Wow -- your attention to detail is amazing, ATMachine. I always enjoy reading your observations on various obscurities.

@ATMachine said: Akril, a few notes on miscellaneous things on your site:

The early "granite" high-res Sierra logo from the KQ7 resource files is actually the one used in the Windows version of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

The motion-capture animation of a StarCon red-tuniced officer waving around a stick from SQ5 seems to be intended (in my guess) to be an officer cleaning a window with a wiper, as seen through the glass from the other side. It was probably scrapped because the guy isn't wearing a spacesuit.
    I actually knew that logo was from GK1, I just never added that to the description for some reason.

That's also a pretty good guess as to what that officer is doing -- it's better than anything I could have come up with, anyway. :) I'll add both of those comments to the site when I have the chance.

• Thanks, Akril!

Interestingly, the KQ Companion describes Graham in KQ1 and KQ2 as having a long, flowing mane of dark brown hair. This is also seen in the Companion's illustrations; the 3rd edition replaced the illustrations from the 1st/2nd editions with new ones, but the various editions' drawings always kept Graham's hair quite long. Maybe that's where the idea for proto-KQ6-Alexander's and KQ7-Edgar's long hairstyles came from?

• Here's an early version of Cupid's pool, in King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella, as seen in Sierra's InterAction newsletter magazine.

kq4altcupidpool.png

Notice the fountain in the upper part of the pool. In the final game there's no fountain there; instead, the north end of the pool is where Rosella can climb out if she's fallen in.

Here's the pool as it appears in the initial release (ver. #1.000.111, with green menu buttons) of KQ4 SCI.

kq4cupid1.png
    Much of the background has been generally redrawn, including the small twin trees in the foreground.

Here's Cupid's pool as it appears in later releases of KQ4 SCI, which have different graphics (and white menu buttons).

kq4cupid2.png
    Like many backgrounds in the game, it's been very notably altered from the original release. In this case, it's especially noticeable, because the two trees in the foreground are now gone!

Also note that the tree branch in the upper left corner is now depicted in shadow instead of being fully colored. In the later versions of KQ4, the art was altered so that the day and night versions of scenes could share art resources, which resulted in changes like this one. The original version of the game had included separate backgrounds of each location for day and nighttime.

• I remember seeing a post about those two shrubs being removed on the Sierra Help Pages forums (I think). That one scene really has had a lot of alterations.

• It's not just that one scene, Akril--just about every background in the game was redrawn in some way between the two versions of KQ4. Some were retouched only slightly, but most have very notable changes when you compare them.

Even some of the animations are different; for instance, the sprite of Rosella walking through the troll cave with her lantern lit is remarkably different in the two versions.

Interestingly, the earlier version changes Rosella's walking speed based on the scale of her sprite, so that if she's seen from far away on a particular background, she'll walk more slowly than when seen from closer up. In the later version she walks at the same (relatively fast) speed all the time, regardless of the size of her character sprite on-screen.

• Here's a screenshot of Cupid's pool at night from the back of the KQ4 box:

kq4altpoolnight.png

(On the box it was mistakenly mirrored, so I've corrected it here.)

Here's the pool at night as it looks in the original release of KQ4 SCI:

kq4poolnight1.png

The starry night sky has been redrawn, and many of the trees are now visible in full color instead of appearing cloaked in shadow.

Also note the tree branch in the upper left corner. In the early version of the room, the branch bark was visible and the leaves were in shadow; now it's the tree limb that is shadowed, and the leaves which are visible.

In addition, look at the ground at the back of the screen; it was light green in the work-in-progress background, but now appears brown.

Here's the same pool at night in later releases of KQ4 SCI:

kq4poolnight2.png

Because the new version overlays a night-sky backdrop directly on top of the daytime backgrounds, the whole scene is much brighter.

The small trees in the foreground are gone now, as with the daytime version of this screen, and the upper-left tree branch is now entirely in shadow. Plus, the sandy ground behind the pool is now much brighter.

Add Comment