User Avatar Image

KQ6: Overrated?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 6.3K users

I know I'm committing blasphemy in the eyes of many KQ die hards by saying this, but am I alone in feeling that KQ6 is overrated? KQ6 kind of reminds me of TSL--It's a little too dark, it's dialogue is a little too formal and clinical (it's a bit too wordy and not to the point as the previous games), it strives--and goes overboard--in trying to get a mature, "epic" feel. It loses that fun, bright, mindless, lighthearted fairy tale feel which characterized the previous games, especially KQV (which is IMO the pinnacle of the series in many ways).

It's kind of like KQ meets GK (a series I've personally never cared for) in some ways with it's story of political intrigue, a dark murderous plot, and a secret society. It takes things into an adult sort of direction--As in, more catered to adults rather than the whole family as the previous games were.

That's not to say it doesn't have it's light moments--of course it does. But the lighthearted moments don't feel nearly as innocent or as natural as in KQV or KQVII--They feel almost kind of forced.

I actually find KQVII to be a better KQ sequel than VI. KQ7 to me is like Roberta meets Don Bluth--which IMO is a good mix.

I'll put it this way: KQVI opened the door to TSL. That makes it bad enough:p

268 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I really like KQ6, but I do think it is over-rated. My problem isn't necessarily with the dark tone of some Jensen games, it's the fact that EVERY Jensen game has a dark tone--it's boring and cliche after the 5th or 6th dark Jensen story, in my opinion. KQ6 is the sole exception to this rule, in that it's really not that dark, but even IT has undertones that are more serious than any other game in the KQ series. Again, I don't think it's bad--in fact, it's probably my second favorite in the series--I just don't think Jensen's writing is what makes it great.

• I never saw KQ6 as that dark compared to the other games. I mean, come on - you were digging up children's graves in KQ4. As a fan of mystery and horror, Roberta Williams has always lent a little darkness to her work. KQ6 is simply different in the sense that it has more depth and complexity than the other games.

And the game is still very light-hearted. Just look at the Isle of Wonders, or the more colorful characters strewn throughout the land. There's a very good balance of light vs. dark in the game, so it's never too colorful or too dreary.

• @Lambonius said: I really like KQ6, but I do think it is over-rated. My problem isn't necessarily with the dark tone of some Jensen games, it's the fact that EVERY Jensen game has a dark tone--it's boring and cliche after the 5th or 6th dark Jensen story, in my opinion. KQ6 is the sole exception to this rule, in that it's really not that dark, but even IT has undertones that are more serious than any other game in the KQ series. Again, I don't think it's bad--in fact, it's probably my second favorite in the series--I just don't think Jensen's writing is what makes it great.

Most of her games are supposed to be dark. I wouldn't expect anything else if games are about voodoo or werewolves, in fact I would be disapointed if such game was bright and happy. Many writers usually write only certain genres of fiction and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I couldn't imagine Leisure Suit Larry written by Jane Jensen or Gabriel Knight written by Al Lowe.

• I love KQ6. I thought it was a deeply emotional and powerful story (in a very successful way, as opposed to my thoughts on TSL). I don't think it's dark or too serious at all. I think some people (including my friends at IA) go a little too far in that opinion. I don't even dislike Jane Jensen or Gabriel Knight. I thought Gabriel Knight was a really powerful story. Maybe some just don't like that type of story period and prefer lighthearted stories for everything. I didn't realise this at first, however. I thought you guys simply didn't like TSL in that it didn't do it well, and I agree. But I can't agree that Jane isn't a great writer and made a great story and game with KQ6 and GK.

That said, that doesn't make KQ6 my favourite. KQ5 will always be my favourite. Personally, I don't hold the whole simple-story/light-hearted/"anti-contrived"/"non-convoluted" standpoint of what KQ should be at all. I don't mind backstories, tying things together, and having a bit of drama in it (a la KQ6). Honestly, this kind of stuff just makes things more interesting to me. That doesn't mean I have to consider stuff like the Father or TSL storylines canon but it is fun to experience and see unfold. I enjoy it for what it is. I don't really understand why you guys are so against that, honestly. Maybe it's just your style I guess. Like how some people love horror flicks and I just cannot sit through one. Not my scene. All this doesn't mean they are automatically cliche, bad, and contrived though.

• Geez, MI, get out of my head! :)

Except about cursors. You and I already want to smack each other around over that.

Oh, sorry everybody, that's a reference from other forums.

• I think the Kings Quest series itself is a bit overrated, when it comes to only the gameplay itself.
    The first Kings Quest game was obviously amazing both technically for the times and in how it invented the 'modern' adventure genre that is still used in adventure games today (well, the basics).
    And being Sierras flagship series, new improvements were often put in KQ titles first, such as Kings Quest 4 being the first game utilizing a sound card (or one of the first in any case?).
    But the gameplay isn't all that great... the storylines are banal and often not very imaginative, and just not terribly interesting.
    It's my one of my least favourite Sierra series. I still enjoy the games but probably mostly because of nostagia in some of the cases.

However, in my opinion, Kings Quest 6 really stands out in a good way... nice story, a bit of a serious feel, good writing... I think it's the best Kings Quest game by far.

But then came Kings Quest 7...

• God. I just tried to play KQ6 again and it has the same problem as The Silver LIning. NPCs will not stop to talk for several minutes once they started. Go into the book store and you are in for several minutes exposition-overload. I cannot stand it. And of course the talking dog-humans.

In KQ5 the story parts were short and ignoreable. KQ6 beats you over the head with it again, again and again. I hate it.

• @der_ketzer said: God. I just tried to play KQ6 again and it has the same problem as The Silver LIning. NPCs will not stop to talk for several minutes once they started. Go into the book store and you are in for several minutes exposition-overload. I cannot stand it. And of course the talking dog-humans.

In KQ5 the story parts were short and ignoreable. KQ6 beats you over the head with it again, again and again. I hate it.

Well that's just the thing--what people (even fans) so often don't "get" about the Sierra classics. They aren't about story. They are about exploration and discovery. Story provides a framework for the exploration and discovery, but it should not intrude on or overshadow it, as it does in KQ6 (and most certainly does in TSL.) This is why King's Quest games started going downhill after King's Quest 5.

This is why so many of us are so uneasy about Telltale trying to handle a Sierra franchise.

• I think that KQ6 (and KQ5 for that matter) actually has been undeservedly forgotten over the years.

I think people are much kinder to the Lucasarts adventure games and they forget just how much Sierra and Lucasarts MADE each other better.. Much to the benefit of we the gamers. 5 and 6 are really important in terms of what we expect a great adventure game to be like... so I think that if anything they deserve more reverence and surely not less.

Add Comment