User Avatar Image

A KQ8 remake

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 391 users

Does anyone else want to see TT--if they're successful with this reboot--do a remake of KQ8, more adventure-esque and closer to the way Roberta originally imagined it before the direction of the game got taken out of her control.

Early photos of KQ8:
Riveroflava.JPG

Connor:
Connorconcept.JPG
Farmhouse2.jpg

Daventry4.JPG

Daventry:
Daventrywoodskq8.JPG

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I actually prefer the Connor of the release MOE than the pre-release character. He looks like someone from the desert there.

    I'd actually like to see MOE remade as something more resembling Morrowind or Oblivion.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: I actually prefer the Connor of the release MOE than the pre-release character. He looks like someone from the desert there.

    I'd actually like to see MOE remade as something more resembling Morrowind or Oblivion.


    Yeah, that early clothing style he has on in those screenshots above isn't very "Daventry-esque." I too prefer the Connor design of the final game.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: I actually prefer the Connor of the release MOE than the pre-release character. He looks like someone from the desert there.

    I'd actually like to see MOE remade as something more resembling Morrowind or Oblivion.



    I think it makes him look cool. He looks like a Knight Templar or a Bedouin, and it's a different look. I don't see why every KQ hero has to fit a certain look/style of clothes.

  • Yeah I thought it was supposed to be Templar like gear too....
    pastlife-knights-trans.gif

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: I think it makes him look cool. He looks like a Knight Templar or a Bedouin, and it's a different look. I don't see why every KQ hero has to fit a certain look/style of clothes.



    You don't have to. That's just my preference.

    I never made the connection with the Templar gear, though. Doesn't really resemble it to me. Either way I don't think it's fitting.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Does anyone else want to see TT--if they're successful with this reboot--do a remake of KQ8, more adventure-esque and closer to the way Roberta originally imagined it before the direction of the game got taken out of her control.



    While I agree that it would have been better game if it was pure old school adventure, I would rather see new adventures of Connor than remake of MoE. MoE is enjoyable game even with it's flaws. Personally I think that MoE had three big flaws:

    1. Lack of puzzles, although couple of puzzles which were included were good ones and took some thinking before I solved them. Game would have been more enjoyable with more puzzles.

    2. Fighting. I don't oppose it per se, but if you include fighting you should make it challenging. In MoE even the "boss monsters" are ridiculously easy to kill.

    3. Lands have too much empty space and running around becomes quite tedious soon. Some of the lands were interesting and I would have wished to see more interaction in there, rather than just killing the monsters and trying to find few items which allow you to pass into the next land.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: You don't have to. That's just my preference.

    I never made the connection with the Templar gear, though. Doesn't really resemble it to me. Either way I don't think it's fitting.



    Yeah it wouldn't really be all that fitting, unless he was a knight for the Pope.

  • Living statue.
    These photos are from 1996


    Actually a bit of a correction, those images are all from the Connor mac Lyrr, son of a Fisherman stage (1995-1996 or so). It's when Connor was first established as a peasant. I have the magazines the images came from.

    No artwork from the statue stage (the character didn't have a name at that point) has been released. That prototype idea was actually late 1994-1995 brainstorming around the time Phantasmagoria was in development (way before they even started working on designing any game models). So that idea never went very far, and was quickly replaced with an early version peasant Connor.

    Those magazines also speak of "changing armor", so what you see in the image is actually just a placeholder, starting outfit, or one of the armors he finds along the way. Its unclear. But even back then, they had plans for much of what you see in the finished game. The game just would have been even longer, had more battles.

    What you don't see in those images, but show up in some of the others from the magazines at that time, is that same model, standing around with monsters, that he would have fought. They didn't even have a playable game at that point, they were just using the level editor from Dynamix (and placing "objects" in the world), there was no animation, or interactivity.

    You can see the level editor in use here as well as some of the enemies;
    Making of video

    The above video seems to show interviews from various points during the development around 1995-1996 (during the boardroom meeting, during the prototype art stage, and level editing stage). Some of those ideas (like the large world) were dropped pretty early on as well, as being too ambitious for the technology they had.

    You can even see, in that video some of her staff kept on telling Roberta her ideas were too ambitious and couldn't be done with the technology they had. That was some of the start of the problems where others in the staff were undermining her control.

    If you want to hear the most details explanations about the development difficulties Roberta was having (and material that was cut), listen to her own words;
    Interview 1
    Interview 2

    Both are pretty long, but interesting. There was a part three that specifically about cut material and development nightmares in great detail, but unfortunately that's missing.

  • @Valiento said: Actually a bit of a correction, those images are all from the Connor mac Lyrr, son of a Fisherman stage (1995-1996 or so). It's when Connor was first established as a peasant. I have the magazines the images came from.

    No artwork from the statue stage (the character didn't have a name at that point) has been released. That prototype idea was actually late 1994-1995 brainstorming around the time Phantasmagoria was in development (way before they even started working on designing any game models). So that idea never went very far, and was quickly replaced with an early version peasant Connor.

    Those magazines also speak of "changing armor", so what you see in the image is actually just a placeholder, starting outfit, or one of the armors he finds along the way. Its unclear. But even back then, they had plans for much of what you see in the finished game. The game just would have been even longer, had more battles.

    What you don't see in those images, but show up in some of the others from the magazines at that time, is that same model, standing around with monsters, that he would have fought. They didn't even have a playable game at that point, they were just using the level editor from Dynamix (and placing "objects" in the world), there was no animation, or interactivity.

    You can see the level editor in use here as well as some of the enemies;
    Making of video

    The above video seems to show interviews from various points during the development around 1995-1996 (during the boardroom meeting, during the prototype art stage, and level editing stage). Some of those ideas (like the large world) were dropped pretty early on as well, as being too ambitious for the technology they had.

    You can even see, in that video some of her staff kept on telling Roberta her ideas were too ambitious and couldn't be done with the technology they had. That was some of the start of the problems where others in the staff were undermining her control.

    If you want to hear the most details explanations about the development difficulties Roberta was having (and material that was cut), listen to her own words;
    Interview 1
    Interview 2

    Both are pretty long, but interesting. There was a part three that specifically about cut material and development nightmares in great detail, but unfortunately that's missing.



    Thanks for posting those Talkspot files! I remember those shows fondly (I actually called in to talk to Roberta, and she was extremely nice and lovely to speak with).

    I was wondering if you have the links/files for the other show(s)? You posted one with Roberta and another with Roberta and Mark together. I think there may have been one more with Roberta alone? Is there any way to browse the Sierragamers files archive?

    Also for those who may be interested, Talkspot's Sierra reunion featuring Roberta, Ken, Jane, Scott and others is available on Sierragamers: http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/blob2/blobpage.aspx/msgid/637692

  • No one seems to have a copy of the third show, its a shame... That's episode was the motherload for discussing the cut material from the game.

    Back to the question, do I want to see a KQ8 remake?

    No, not really, I'd rather see Telltale games continues where MOE left off, with all new adventures. At some point, i'd like play as Connor again.

    Back in the day, Roberta had alot of neat ideas for what would have went into KQ1, but were cut due to limitations in the game. Many of those ideas were then recycled and put into KQ2.

    Similar to how Spielburg and Lucas had alot of interesting ideas to toss into Raiders of the Lost Ark, but were cut, and then adapted into Temple of Doom.

    Ideas that made the cutting room floor of MOE? I'd say if the ideas still exist, they should be adapted it into a sequel!

    However, if Activision decided to make a KQ8 Enhanced (updating the game for the modern PC/consoles/etc), with new material, improved nextgen graphics, new and better ending, etc, I would be very surprised, but I wouldn't turn it down either.

    Still it would be interesting to know what was cut from each KQ game in the series, and what cuts were readapted into later games, and which never were reused again.

Add Comment