User Avatar Image

Back to the Future - Can't click "Play"

posted by Capitalist on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

I installed back to the future, after I log in however, the button marked "Play" doesn't launch the episode so I can't start it.

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • if you are running windows and you are the admin right click the launcher and "Run as administator"

• @Lotty said: if you are running windows and you are the admin right click the launcher and "Run as administator"

This sure works, but admin rights shouldn’t be required. In fact, they aren’t for any other Telltale game, so why for BttF?

• 'Run as admin' Did the job for me. But Seriously why does it take so much to make a game work. I'm glad I'm pc savvy. Imagine some young kid that just wants to play the game. And not search for .dll files and forums to make it work.

I'm not super impressed with the crap some people have had to deal with just to make it work.

• I had the same problem and running as Admin also did the job for me. It was really annoying while it lasted.

What I'm surprised about is that no one from Telltale is helping solving these problems. To be honest I haven't looked for a FAQ, troubleshooting post or something like that but I think this one should be added to them.

• Same problem here, it won't launch the game.
    I get to choose episode and when i press "play" the window closes and nothing happens...
    Win 7 x64, running as admin. The ctrl shift -/ ctrl shift + fix didn't help either.. reinstalled TWICE..

Please.. fix now!

UPDATE:
    After a few hours of troubleshooting i figured out that the game didn't like AirfoilInject3.dll, a file associated with Airfoil. So i uninstalled Airfoil and now i can play! The game looks great!

• well atleast I know I'm not the only one
    I guess I'll try reinstalling it now

• Hello everybody. I had the same problem and I think I found a workaround:

[LIST]
    [*]Log in as administrator and uninstall the game
    [*]While logged in as admin, grant your normal user administrator rights
    [*]Log back in as your regular user and install the game (all available episodes) from there
    [*]Log in as admin once more and make your regular user normal again
    [*]Finally, log back in as yourself and enjoy the game.
    [/LIST]

I can't say why, but this worked for me. Apparently the game can only be played by the user who installed it. Hope this helps,

Joel

• 'Run as admin' Did the job for me. But Seriously why does it take so much to make a game work. I'm glad I'm pc savvy. Imagine some young kid that just wants to play the game. And not search for .dll files and forums to make it work.

I Know! Thank God somebody found it before I uninstalled my save game and everything.

• @Capitalist said: I installed back to the future, after I log in however, the button marked "Play" doesn't launch the episode so I can't start it.

turn off windows security alerts and make sure you under the admin account.

• @Haplo23 said: Hello everybody. I had the same problem and I think I found a workaround:

[LIST]
    [*]Log in as administrator and uninstall the game
    [*]While logged in as admin, grant your normal user administrator rights
    [*]Log back in as your regular user and install the game (all available episodes) from there
    [*]Log in as admin once more and make your regular user normal again
    [*]Finally, log back in as yourself and enjoy the game.
    [/LIST]

I can't say why, but this worked for me. Apparently the game can only be played by the user who installed it. Hope this helps,

Joel

Wow. Just... wow.
    I haven't needed to do this for years! I thought that now non-screwed-up software was supposed to work well in multi-user environments.
    This is really annoying. How did that happen? Was this game compiled in 2005?

Add Comment