User Avatar Image

Anticipation/Doubt

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

This thread mostly exists for the poll, that is, I want to sort of gauge general opinion, given the lack of information we have.

How do you feel about the upcoming King's Quest game?

-----
Excited: I'm extremely excited, and I'm certain that Telltale will make something that at the very least borders on perfection. I love that Telltale has the franchise, and I can't wait to see what they have in store!

Cautiously Optimistic: I'm not really sure they'll do a good job, but I expect them to.

Unsure: I'm really mixed on the whole thing or have no real opinion yet.

Pessimistic: I don't really expect them to do a good job, and need convincing.

Upset: Angry or otherwise unhappy that Telltale got the license. I'm almost certain that Telltale can't or doesn't want to deliver something that meets or exceeds my expectations for a King's Quest game. I do not like the idea of this at all.
-----

I'm on the "Upset" category, and if anyone thinks my wording or the poll are in any way unfair or biased, please let me know. I tried to balance it out as well as I could, without directly insulting any responses. I understand that I'm probably an outlier, and the majority of people probably exist somewhere in the middle three options. "Upset" and "Excited" don't necessarily mean you CAN'T be convinced otherwise(though this may be the case), but that you at least are going to need some heavy persuasion to the contrary.

132 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: A lover of King's Quest who feels like they still have to "play for the home team" and make their title "accessible to a wide range of players" by compromising it and dumbing the title down and providing a stale and indistinct experience and a person who should be allowed to work on a new King's Quest game are not necessarily on eand the same. ;)

See, that's a gamble. In order to be able to give this reasoning, as a valid opinion, they have to produce an episode, give you a demo or SAY something implying on them, actually planning on dumbing down the franchise. They may also produce something completely faithful to the original. It IS a non-profitable situation for you no matter the outcome may be. If they eff it up, you'll be totally right and probably called a prophet of TTG forums who wields the all wisdom the future has to offer on humanity, but also will have to witness the downfall of one of your favorite game franchises. If they actually do a better job than what you've assumed, you'll enjoy a great game but you'll have to eat your own words.

• I hope he does have to eat his own words. That'd mean we got a damn good game.

• @Falanca said: See, that's a gamble. In order to be able to give this reasoning, as a valid opinion, they have to produce an episode, give you a demo or SAY something implying on them, actually planning on dumbing down the franchise.

Gotcha. One sec.

@Falanca said:
    I want to do this series justice. But I also want to make it fun and accessible to a wide range of players- introduce a new generation to them.
    [...]
    Whatever the case, I wouldn't want to compromise the series. That said, I also have to play for the home team-- Telltale has vision, goals, and missions that I have to consider.

They may also produce something completely faithful to the original. It IS a non-profitable situation for you no matter the outcome may be. If they eff it up, you'll be totally right and probably called a prophet of TTG forums who wields the all wisdom the future has to offer on humanity, but also will have to witness the downfall of one of your favorite game franchises. If they actually do a better job than what you've assumed, you'll enjoy a great game but you'll have to eat your own words.

I don't care about "being a prophet" or "eating my own words".

I divide up my options like this: I'll either be proven right or made happy. If I was excited, I'd be either proven right or made unhappy. And besides, the way I see it, the chances are stacked in favor of this not turning out well at all.

• I hope he does have to eat his own words. Just for the sake of seeing R to da' D do that.

@Rather Dashing said: And besides, the way I see it, the chances are stacked in favor of this not turning out well at all.

Yeaaah, you're with me on this one.

• Count me as "curious"...so, right between "unsure" and "cautiously optimistic". I've enjoyed most everything Telltale's done, but I never would have said they were right for a King's Quest game. But there are a few things that give me hope, and I look forward to actually hearing more about the game.

• I have to go with pessimistic, though I'd prefer the term skeptical.

It's human nature, and the nature of human-created organizations, to take the path of least resistance, and that path leads to

Tales of King's Quest Playhouse: The Game

• Excited, and I will choose to judge the project on its own merits...

I will keep it detached from my opinions of the series as a whole. I don't expect it to be the same, and it probably will be different. I will judge it based its own positives and negatives.

• This is the middle part of Sinaz's quote that people seem to keep skipping over:

@Sinaz20 said: Maybe that means incorporating puzzle complexity into the actual difficulty settings so that our hardcore Sierra ex-pats will have the option to play it old school. Maybe it means finding a new strategy to art and production so we can deliver huge environments like the original games. Maybe it means toggling fail events for the casual gamers.

It sounds like the best case scenario is that we'll get a game with different difficulty modes. I have no idea how that's going to turn out, but I'm curious to see what they come up with.

I voted "cautiously optimistic," but I suppose I'm actually more curious than optimistic. Good or bad, true to the series or something completely different, I'm excited to see how this turns out. "Telltale's King's Quest" -- the phrase alone is the ultimate paradox. I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

• Indeed, the naysayers seem to be rather selective in their reading and quoting. :)

@GuybrushWilco said: I voted excited :). That is my default stance, until I see something to convince me otherwise.

Good on you, sir! I applaud your optimism. And actually, Cautiously Optimistic is leading the vote right now.

• I keep waving back and forth between Pessimistic and Upset. I've not gone past Pessimistic, though, and I won't until I play the demo and see for myself. If the demo doesn't impress me, or worse if it depresses me, the whole thing will be a write-off for me. I'll just go about my daily life as if it never happened and not even acknowledge it. I'll consider it a bad fangame that's worth completely ignoring. I'll choose 'pessimistic' for now. But I'll probably end up 'upset' again in the future.

I will not pay money and support Telltale's rape of the KQ legacy if that's what it turns out to be. On the other hand, if it turns out great I'll be too happy to pay. But it's gotta be really really great.

Add Comment