User Avatar Image

Unused Material from the original King's Quests (and other Sierra games)!

posted by Akril15 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Hello all,

I plugged this site in another subforum, but with the recent announcement from Telltale that resulted in the addition of this nice new subforum, I figured that I'd advertise it again here.

Occasionally, I like to poke into the resource files of old adventure games to see if I can uncover anything interesting. Sometimes I find sprites, backgrounds and dialogue that never appear in the final product (sort of like deleted scenes on a DVD). I found so many interesting items in the files of Sierra On-Line's games that I decided to put together a small site to showcase them. Here's a trio of teaser backgrounds I found in King's Quest V, VI and VII:

Wow, the quality of King's Quest V's backgrounds sure improved a lot since this scene was made.

I don't remember this part of the Realm of the Dead...

...And I don't remember this part of Vulcanix either!

Here's a link to the page covering King's Quest V and VI[/URL] (along with several other Sierra games), and here are the first and second of King's Quest VII. I also have a page for "Inside the Chest" and "Behind the Developers' Shield", two programs that came with the first and second KQ Collections (but not the 2006 collections -- Thanks, Vivendi Universal). There's a lot of behind-the-scenes art shown in those programs, but there's even more of it hidden in the resource files. And it doesn't really need to be said at this point, but SPOILER ALERT!!! (And enjoy!)

(By the way, this whole site originally started out as a couple of pages full of stuff I'd found just in the resource files of King's Quest VII -- that game is bursting at the seams with unused material...including this. I don't know what the heck the story behind this picture is -- it looks like it's straight out of Space Quest 6!)

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Apologies for the triple post, but I'm not done yet!

Here's Cupid's pool at daytime from the AGI version of KQ4, just for comparison.
    kq4agi1.pngkq4agi1a.png

And here it is at night.
    kq4agi1b.png

Here are more images to compare the three versions of KQ4.

In the following pictures, the upper left image is the first SCI version, the upper right one is the later SCI version, and the lower left one is the AGI version.

kq4old2.pngkq4new2.pngkq4agi2a.png
    The Save/Load screen. Note the button colors on the two SCI versions.

kq4old7.pngkq4new7.pngkq4agi4b.png
    The minstrel sitting on a tree stump.

kq4old3a.pngkq4new3.pngkq4agi3.png
    Entering the troll cave. Note how different the lantern glow is in the early and later SCI versions.

kq4old4.pngkq4new4.pngkq4agi4.png
    The three witches' skull cave.

kq4old5.pngkq4new5.pngkq4agi4a.png
    The ogre's house.

kq4old6.pngkq4new6.pngkq4agi5.png
    The haunted mansion at night. A marked difference in the SCI versions!

kq4old8.pngkq4new8.pngkq4agi5a.png
    The waterfall at night.

kq4old8a.pngkq4new8a.pngkq4agi5b.png
    The bottom of the path to Lolotte's castle at night.

In almost all cases the AGI graphics are modeled on those of the original SCI version.

• Here's a bit of alternate background art from the KQ1 SCI remake.

This is how the gates of Castle Daventry originally looked:

kq1altcastle3.pngkq1altcastle2.png

And here's the original version of the castle's eastern bridge over the moat:
    kq1altcastlea.png

This is Castle Daventry as it appears in the final game:

kq1scicastle.pngkq1scicastle1.png

In the WIP screens, the castle appears much older, more time-worn, and more vine-encrusted. Interesting that they went for a much "cleaner" look in the final game.

Also, where are the gate guards in the early pictures? Was the new introduction cutscene in place yet, or did the remake at this early stage mimic the original AGI KQ1's beginning more closely? I wish I knew.

• Also check out this early screenshot of KQ5, with the game title displayed in the upper black bar:

kq5alttopbar.png

• I stumbled upon a video of Sierra's 1988 video catalog (part 1 and part 2), which advertises, among other things, KQ4.

Here are some screencaps of the early version shown in the promo, compared with the final game (the first SCI version, that is).

kq4catalog1.png
    Here's an early version of the status bar.

kq4catalog1b.png

In the version of KQ4 shown in the video, the narrator's text is captioned "Narrator," as with the dialogue of other characters in the game.

kq4game3.png

In the final game narrative text is not captioned in that way.

kq4catalog2.pngkq4catalog2b.pngkq4catalog2e.pngkq4catalog2d.png

In this version of KQ4, the starting screen and closeup of Rosella with Genesta were different: Rosella started out standing at the base of a cliff.

kq4game1a.pngkq4game1.pngkq4game1b.png

In the actual release the cliff was removed. It disappeared from both the overall background and the close-up image.

kq4catalog3.pngkq4catalog3a1.png

An early pass at the haunted mansion with different, less grassy soil, seen at day and night.

kq4game2.pngkq4game2a.png

The haunted mansion in its finalized appearance.

kq4catalog3b.pngkq4catalog3c.png

The mansion's west graveyard and the witches' skull cave at night, as they initially appeared.

kq4game2c.pngkq4game2b.png

The west graveyard and skull cave in the finished release. The graveyard scene was lightened considerably, and the skull cave was made to stand out more from the surrounding rock.

• Man, I'm having trouble keeping up with these posts!

As usual, nice finds, ATMachine. They might be better suited to your site than mine, since I try to limit my finds strictly to unused material found in the actual game files.

• That's fine, Akril. I'm not asking you to post them on your site--you have your niche and I have mine! :) I have however been asked to add them to the King's Quest Omnipedia wiki, which I've accordingly done.

• I just realized--and I'm ashamed to admit it never occurred to me before today--that Alexander's outfit in KQ6 is basically ripped off wholesale from Kevin Costner's costume in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Funny how blatant the resemblance is once you're looking for it.

• @ATMachine said: I just realized--and I'm ashamed to admit it never occurred to me before today--that Alexander's outfit in KQ6 is basically ripped off wholesale from Kevin Costner's costume in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Funny how blatant the resemblance is once you're looking for it.

Hey, wow, you're right.

That's really interesting too, since King Graham's outfit is modeled after the more traditional Robin Hood costume you see in older Robin Hood movies.

• @ATMachine said: That's fine, Akril. I'm not asking you to post them on your site--you have your niche and I have mine! :) I have however been asked to add them to the King's Quest Omnipedia wiki, which I've accordingly done.

Great -- I'm sure they'll gain a lot more attention there.

@ATMachine said:
    [QUOTE=ATMachine;463210]I just realized--and I'm ashamed to admit it never occurred to me before today--that Alexander's outfit in KQ6 is basically ripped off wholesale from Kevin Costner's costume in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Funny how blatant the resemblance is once you're looking for it.

Hey, wow, you're right.

That's really interesting too, since King Graham's outfit is modeled after the more traditional Robin Hood costume you see in older Robin Hood movies.[/QUOTE]
    Wow -- like father, like son. :)

Add Comment