User Avatar Image

Are you excited for this game?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 417 users

I really don't want it to seem like the naysayers are in the majority, so I was wondering, if you're excited for this game, like I am--could you post in this thread?
There are some very negative, even hateful very vocal people--but they're in the minority, I believe, and I don't want the loudness of the minority's negativity to doom this game before it's even out. It's like some people are refusing to even give this game a chance.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @wilco64256 said: It's also worth keeping in mind that when the folks from Telltale spoke with Josh there was no story written for this game, no screenshots or gameplay to speak of at all.

How do you know this? I bet there's at least an outline of a story written, as well as a general idea of a gameplay. Just because we haven't seen anything regarding this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. From the sounds of things Telltale have been working on this idea for a while prior to the press release.

• @corruptbiggins said: How do you know this? I bet there's at least an outline of a story written, as well as a general idea of a gameplay. Just because we haven't seen anything regarding this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. From the sounds of things Telltale have been working on this idea for a while prior to the press release.

He's a part of the TSL team. If you know anything about them, you should know they have and have always had an agenda--They wanted the license themselves to reboot the series too, and since they've been denied it, they are trying to downplay this game.

• No I'm not trying to downplay Telltale's game, we're actually all very interested to see what they do with it. Yes we would have been interested in a commercial license for the series, but that didn't work out and we haven't lost a moment's sleep over it.

My only point here is that some people are getting way over-hyped about the fact that a couple of people from Telltale talked to Josh Mandel once that we know of. That's really not that big of a deal. If he does end up working with Telltale (which I do highly doubt because that's simply not how Telltale operates) that would be great.

And yes there may be a story written at this point for the game, but there wasn't several months ago when that contact was first made with Josh. Telltale doesn't take months to write a story and get working on a game, they're very fast movers and if they had started the story in December they'd have screens and trailers for this game done by now.

• I'm excited about this game :). I am of the opinion that the majority of KQ fans are excited.

• @wilco64256 said: No I'm not trying to downplay Telltale's game, we're actually all very interested to see what they do with it. Yes we would have been interested in a commercial license for the series, but that didn't work out and we haven't lost a moment's sleep over it.

My only point here is that some people are getting way over-hyped about the fact that a couple of people from Telltale talked to Josh Mandel once that we know of. That's really not that big of a deal. If he does end up working with Telltale (which I do highly doubt because that's simply not how Telltale operates) that would be great.

And yes there may be a story written at this point for the game, but there wasn't several months ago when that contact was first made with Josh. Telltale doesn't take months to write a story and get working on a game, they're very fast movers and if they had started the story in December they'd have screens and trailers for this game done by now.

You shouldn't be one to talk about hype as when Roberta played your very brief first episode of your game (with apparently no inside info about the game or plot twists) and gave a general positive review of it, you hyped that as much as you could and your leader even literally proclaimed your company the heirs to Sierra/Roberta.

Not only that, but you don't know of his contact with them since, or of any potential contact in the future.

• And neither do you. What we do know for sure is how Telltale's business model has worked on every other game they've done. And this would be the first time they've ever brought in someone from the outside to work on a game. Completely goes against every aspect of their management, design, and production models. So yeah I doubt that's happening. If it does I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm nowhere near as optimistic about that as you seem to be.

• @wilco64256 said: And neither do you. What we do know for sure is how Telltale's business model has worked on every other game they've done. And this would be the first time they've ever brought in someone from the outside to work on a game. Completely goes against every aspect of their management, design, and production models. So yeah I doubt that's happening. If it does I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm nowhere near as optimistic about that as you seem to be.

So getting Ron Gilbert to consult on Tales of Monkey Island doesn't count? What about the Brothers Chaps and SBCG4AP? Not forgetting Steve Purcell & Graham Annable.

• There's a difference between getting some basic advice from someone on the series (Ron Gilbert spent like 3 days at Telltale talking about the story and giving some puzzle ideas) and Telltale actually hiring on someone to do significant writing for them, which is what's being discussed here.

Certainly I expect Telltale to try to run their concepts by people like Josh Mandel or Roberta Williams, but they're not going to make any attempt to actually bring them on full time to help with the project. Telltale has their own writers and directors, and bringing in someone else from the outside (even someone as awesome as Josh Mandel) would cause serious internal problems for them.

• @wilco64256 said: There's a difference between getting some basic advice from someone on the series (Ron Gilbert spent like 3 days at Telltale talking about the story and giving some puzzle ideas) and Telltale actually hiring on someone to do significant writing for them, which is what's being discussed here.

Certainly I expect Telltale to try to run their concepts by people like Josh Mandel or Roberta Williams, but they're not going to make any attempt to actually bring them on full time to help with the project. Telltale has their own writers and directors, and bringing in someone else from the outside (even someone as awesome as Josh Mandel) would cause serious internal problems for them.

I'm sure you guys have been telling them just that ;).

The fact is, the set up you're talking about (having an original designer on board with minimal help from them) is the same system which which gave us KQ6 and KQ7. Roberta had very little to do with the creation of KQ6 other than the most basic story ideas, and she didn't write KQ7 at all.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: He's a part of the TSL team. If you know anything about them, you should know they have and have always had an agenda--They wanted the license themselves to reboot the series too, and since they've been denied it, they are trying to downplay this game.

@Anakin Skywalker said: We have heard about Telltale’s announcement, and we’re excited to see where it goes! It’s great that the series will be getting an official continuation, and TTG has made some great adventure games that have been reviving not only classic franchises but the genre overall. We love the work they’re doing, and of course our own game has been influenced by their episodic model.

We’ll still be completing The Silver Lining as planned. (In a funny twist of fate, Episode 3 just launched yesterday, while this announcement was going down!) We like to think that TSL has helped show that the fans are still eager for more KQ, so it’s great to see the life in this series returning in an official way.

It’s definitely a great month to be a King’s Quest fan!

I don't think "downplay this game" is official TSL team policy.

I'm not a member of the TSL team. I get that you don't like TSL--there's plenty I don't like about it either. But this personal vendetta you seem to have against them is getting old.

This discussion has been closed.