User Avatar Image

Are you excited for this game?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 424 users

I really don't want it to seem like the naysayers are in the majority, so I was wondering, if you're excited for this game, like I am--could you post in this thread?
There are some very negative, even hateful very vocal people--but they're in the minority, I believe, and I don't want the loudness of the minority's negativity to doom this game before it's even out. It's like some people are refusing to even give this game a chance.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @doggans said: I don't think "downplay this game" is official TSL team policy.

    Public, official statements and actual goals/personal feelings not stated officially are two different things. PR, baby, PR.

  • @doggans said: I don't think "downplay this game" is official TSL team policy.

    I'm not a member of the TSL team. I get that you don't like TSL--there's plenty I don't like about it either. But this personal vendetta you seem to have against them is getting old.

    This personal vendetta will continue until the game is a distant memory, and until there's absolutely no chance of them ever even having any official connection to any future Sierra Quest games.

    And it will continue so long as their members come here to downplay this game here (even if their official statement on their website says they're all for it--just like their official website said their game was coming out in Winter 2005) to strengthen their own efforts at securing a commercial license. They have much to gain by TT failing in this.

    To sum it up, Manannan is not Valanice's father. Graham is not a wise fatherly sage who spouts off cliched insightful words. Alex is not an emotional basket case who cries like a child over his traumas. Valanice is not a lying, half Druid, secretive and suicidal miserabe. Rosella isn't a spoiled, mischevious, careless brat. The BCS is not responsible for every single event in the KQ series. And I'll keep fighting against any of those ideas ever becoming anything resembling canon.

  • Right, we still totally agree on that, but that was Sierra's business model, not Telltale's. Telltale doesn't work that way. I'm not saying that it's bad for them, they've actually done quite well with their model. And I'm not a naysayer at all here, I'm looking forward to this game and I do plan to buy it, I'm just not going to have unrealistic expectations about it.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: This personal vendetta will continue until the game is a distant memory, and until there's absolutely no chance of them ever even having any official connection to any future Sierra Quest games.

    I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no risk of any of the fan games becoming canon, so you don't need to worry.

    @Anakin Skywalker said: just like their official website said their game was coming out in Winter 2005

    This is hardly the first megascale all-volunteer fan project to get pushed back. (Ask a Star Wars Fanfilm forum about "Tyderium" sometime.)

    @Anakin Skywalker said: To sum it up, Manannan is not Valanice's father. Graham is not a wise fatherly sage who spouts off cliched insightful words. Alex is not an emotional basket case who cries like a child over his traumas. Valanice is not a lying, half Druid, secretive and suicidal miserabe. Rosella isn't a spoiled, mischevious, careless brat. The BCS is not responsible for every single event in the KQ series. And I'll keep fighting against any of those ideas ever becoming anything resembling canon.

    Faramir does not take the ring to Gondor. Treebeard doesn't hesitate before deciding to attack Isengard. Elves don't show up at Helm's Deep. Saruman takes over the Shire.

    And yet, despite the fact that these things were changed in a way I strongly dislike, I have no personal vendetta against Peter Jackson. He told the story the way he felt it fit his movie. I disagree with him, but I understand his perspective, and I can even enjoy much of the movies.

    Hell, there's even LESS that I like in the Rankin-Bass and Ralph Bakshi LOTR films. But I don't go to every Tolkien forum and turn every post into a rant against those filmmakers.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: This personal vendetta will continue until the game is a distant memory, and until there's absolutely no chance of them ever even having any official connection to any future Sierra Quest games.

    And it will continue so long as their members come here to downplay this game here (even if their official statement on their website says they're all for it--just like their official website said their game was coming out in Winter 2005) to strengthen their own efforts at securing a commercial license. They have much to gain by TT failing in this.

    To sum it up, Manannan is not Valanice's father. Graham is not a wise fatherly sage who spouts off cliched insightful words. Alex is not an emotional basket case who cries like a child over his traumas. Valanice is not a lying, half Druid, secretive and suicidal miserabe. Rosella isn't a spoiled, mischevious, careless brat. The BCS is not responsible for every single event in the KQ series. And I'll keep fighting against any of those ideas ever becoming anything resembling canon.

    Wow, hater much? Nice try attempting to speak for how our team feels about the Telltale project too. You don't know what our internal discussions are like so don't even try to guess because you couldn't be more wrong. We are definitely interested to see what Telltale does with the series both in public and in private. We don't sit around whining about how we wish we had the license - we've moved on and have other things to work on. We literally spent like 5 minutes talking about how nice it would have been for us and then we left it behind.

  • @wilco64256 said: Right, we still totally agree on that, but that was Sierra's business model, not Telltale's. Telltale doesn't work that way. I'm not saying that it's bad for them, they've actually done quite well with their model. And I'm not a naysayer at all here, I'm looking forward to this game and I do plan to buy it, I'm just not going to have unrealistic expectations about it.

    Having outside designers with no prior experience in the series they're working on designining most of the game with miminal to no oversight by the original designers was Sierra's business model in adventure games in their middle and later days.

    See:
    KQ1SCI (designed soley by Josh Mandel with only one piece of input from Roberta)
    Laura Bow 2 (designed by Bruce Balfour with barely any involvement from Roberta)
    King's Quest V (designed by Roberta but with Bill Davis acting as Creative Director)
    King's Quest VI (designed mostly by Jane Jensen while Roberta went on vacation, and written almost solely by Jane)
    King's Quest VII (no real imput from Roberta other than the idea that the direction should be Disney inspired)
    Phantasmagoria II (handed off completely to Lorelei Shannon, who had NOTHING to do with Phantas I)
    Space Quest 6 (Designed mostly by Josh Mandel who had very limited prior experience with SQ).

    Not all that different.

  • @wilco64256 said: Wow, hater much? Nice try attempting to speak for how our team feels about the Telltale project too. You don't know what our internal discussions are like so don't even try to guess because you couldn't be more wrong. We are definitely interested to see what Telltale does with the series both in public and in private. We don't sit around whining about how we wish we had the license - we've moved on and have other things to work on. We literally spent like 5 minutes talking about how nice it would have been for us and then we left it behind.

    Proud hater :D and there's plenty others who agree with me.
    And getting a commercial KQ license might've been nice for you, but it would've sucked for KQ fans.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Proud hater :D and there's plenty others who agree with me.
    And getting a commercial KQ license might've been nice for you, but it would've sucked for KQ fans.

    If our game is really that bad, why don't you make a better one with all that energy rather than just constantly whining about it? Do something productive instead?

  • @wilco64256 said: If our game is really that bad, why don't you make a better one with all that energy rather than just constantly whining about it? Do something productive instead?

    If Iyam, Iyam. If I'm not, I'm not.
    Tis for me to know what I do and what I don't do.
    I could very well be doing that right now, or I might not be.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Proud hater :D

    I will never, ever, ever understand this mentality. To take pride in dwelling on something that displeases you? It doesn't make any sense to me.

    If a piece of entertainment bothers me, especially one that I got *for free*, I usually review it and point out where I think it could have been improved, and then I ignore it. Makes life a *lot* less stressful.

This discussion has been closed.