User Avatar Image

Exploration or story?

posted by Lambonius on - last edited - Viewed by 609 users

Telltale's games have always been strictly story driven, sometimes to their detriment. A great story can draw you in and really make you care about the characters, but at the same time, the strict linearity of many story-driven games (Telltale's games are VERY guilty of this) almost completely destroys the sense of exploration and discovery that was such an important part of classic adventure games.

So...which is more important to you for a Sierra-style adventure game? A strong story? Or the sense of exploration and discovery that comes with being able to wander a vast area, looking and interacting with the landscape and objects as you see fit? Or do you think a game can realistically do both?

What approach should Telltale take if they want to capture the "feel" of King's Quest?

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I definitely think there needs to be a good mix of story and exploration. I would like to see something with a non-linear plot and multiple endings along the lines of KQVI but with an original location and characters. Whether or not Telltale can accomplish that remains to be seen, but I think that is what is needed to capture what KQ is to me. If possible, I would like to see them get the original creators involved at least as consultants.

• @Lambonius said: So far this poll is doing exactly what I expected...proving that Telltale's usual approach to game design absolutely is at odds with what fans of King's Quest would like to see in a new King's Quest game. Please take this to heart, Telltale.

I think how they're dealing with Jurassic Park shows how they think making the game to fit the story rather than forcing the story into a certain type of game.

• @Lambonius said: So far this poll is doing exactly what I expected...proving that Telltale's usual approach to game design absolutely is at odds with what fans of King's Quest would like to see in a new King's Quest game. Please take this to heart, Telltale.

My big concern is that they don't pay much attention to those on the forums. I imagine they will do their market research and not try to listen to the fans of the old games.

I don't want to come away from the game feeling like I watched a movie. If I wanted to do that, I would actually watch a movie. But so far from what I have seen from telltale, this is what they produce (probably because it can be marketed to the masses; and to be honest, that is good business even though old school fans don't get what they want).

• @chucklas said: I don't want to come away from the game feeling like I watched a movie.

That's it exactly. I voted exploration, but not because I don't want a strong story; I most certainly do. It's just that I want the story to be told during the course of exploration and interactivity, and not through an over-abundance of cutscenes.

Besides, I don't think there's any question whatsoever that Telltale's KQ is going to be strong on story.

• I voted exploration because I'm not so eager for something referred to as a compromise or so intent on them "going for both" that I would want real exploration to be sacrificed for a story. And I think that, with Telltale's resources(not just technology, but time and budget), some form of opportunity cost is going to exist on an exploration/story spectrum. And if we're at a point where a sacrifice has to be made, where there is a choice, I want exploration to win out. It doesn't mean I hate narratives, but it does mean that they are less important to me than filling a world with things to experiment with.

• I voted for both, but I'm still skeptical whether TTG can pull it off.

I suppose, after reading RD's and MI's posts (which I agree with), I might have voted for exploration instead given that their most recent game (BTTF) has so sacrificed gameplay for story.

• I don't think King's Quest is a 'cinematic' game series in the way that Telltale have been leaning towards lately. I'd rather see full beautiful screens instead of quick camera shots of close-ups and other similar angles as has been done with all Telltale games since W&G.

@corruptbiggins said: I think how they're dealing with Jurassic Park shows how they think making the game to fit the story rather than forcing the story into a certain type of game.

Well, we haven't even seen Jurassic Park in action yet. We're promised a lot of new things but we have no idea how it will all work out once we get it in our hands. So all we really have is their word.

• Jurassic Park is good, better gameplay than Back to the Future in my opinion. The looks is really solid too, very nice artwork and visuals going on.

Add Comment