User Avatar Image

Anticipation/Doubt

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

This thread mostly exists for the poll, that is, I want to sort of gauge general opinion, given the lack of information we have.

How do you feel about the upcoming King's Quest game?

-----
Excited: I'm extremely excited, and I'm certain that Telltale will make something that at the very least borders on perfection. I love that Telltale has the franchise, and I can't wait to see what they have in store!

Cautiously Optimistic: I'm not really sure they'll do a good job, but I expect them to.

Unsure: I'm really mixed on the whole thing or have no real opinion yet.

Pessimistic: I don't really expect them to do a good job, and need convincing.

Upset: Angry or otherwise unhappy that Telltale got the license. I'm almost certain that Telltale can't or doesn't want to deliver something that meets or exceeds my expectations for a King's Quest game. I do not like the idea of this at all.
-----

I'm on the "Upset" category, and if anyone thinks my wording or the poll are in any way unfair or biased, please let me know. I tried to balance it out as well as I could, without directly insulting any responses. I understand that I'm probably an outlier, and the majority of people probably exist somewhere in the middle three options. "Upset" and "Excited" don't necessarily mean you CAN'T be convinced otherwise(though this may be the case), but that you at least are going to need some heavy persuasion to the contrary.

132 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Simo Sakari Aaltonen said: Indeed, the naysayers seem to be rather selective in their reading and quoting. :)

Selective because the quote includes only the firm statements and omits the maybes? It would be useful if you could actually demonstrate that the selective quote is misleading instead of just implying it and writing off the quoter as a naysayer. It's just possible, you know, that the partial quote was selected because it is representative. In fact, it's not the first time something like this has been said.

...the thing is, games *have* to be reasonably easy, because if someone can win a game, they'll be more interested in buying the next one. Ditching the concept of commercial viability and making an incredibly difficult, fan-centric game is an excellent idea for die hard fans, but a company which intends to make more than one game MUST pay attention to what sells and what doesn't. We can't make a super hard game just because we think the idea is cool... these games cost an incredible amount of money to make and if we don't get a return on that we can't make more :P"

That's a quote from a different Telltale team member. Here is the whole post, in context, so I can't be accused of selectivity. Even more telling is what was said just prior:

Multiple difficulty levels... It's a cool idea, and I'm not going to be all "We'll NEVER do that" because someday someone will quote it and start screaming, but it would add a ton of extra effort for our programmers and I really doubt it would make the game significantly 'better.'

So there's real cause for doubt about that list of maybes that was left out of the first citation. (Please note that I'm aware the context of the two discussions is slightly different; the post I've cited was focused on difficulty level, whereas in the KQ forum the issue has been framed, somewhat sloppily IMO, as exploration vs. story. But it all boils down to Telltale's attitudes towards gameplay.)

You see, the skepticism being expressed here is not just pulled out of thin air. It is based on observation and analysis of patterns and trends in Telltale's past behavior, their response to fan queries, their existing games, as well as statements by various personnel.

If you have actual evidence and reasoning to offset the skepticism expressed in this thread, please do provide them. I am always willing to adjust my views when warranted by facts or logic. But blind faith and mislabeling as naysayers, or haters, or whiners those whose views discomfort you is a poor substitute for rational counter-arguments.

• @thom-22 said: You see, the skepticism being expressed here is not just pulled out of thin air. It is based on observation and analysis of patterns and trends in Telltale's past behavior, their response to fan queries, their existing games, as well as statements by various personnel.

This. I can't stress enough this point. While many of you are basing your excitement and optimism (even to the point of raw fanboyism) on what you expect to happen we're basing our skepticism on real facts and not sensationalist extremes.

If you have actual evidence and reasoning to offset the skepticism expressed in this thread, please do provide them. I am always willing to adjust my views when warranted by facts or logic. But blind faith and mislabeling as naysayers, or haters, or whiners those whose views discomfort you is a poor substitute for rational counter-arguments.

Well stated.

• I vote unsure. I'd like to be optimistic, but given that TT havent really improved on their game design, it prevents me from being overly estatic

• Unsure, never been a KQ fan, and at this point, I am not really certain I will enjoy any of TTG's future endeavors.

• Cautiously Optimistic: I hope they can do it but I don't really have faith in it. But I am waiting for the demo to see if they can pull it off.

• Cautiously optimistic: Was happy when Sam and Max was announced, but was disappointed in the direction they have taken the game. Same with KQ. I am happy that the KQ is being resurrected, but wouldn't be suprised it isn't as good as the previous KQ games

• Hahaha Rather Dashing. I'm allowed to be excited.

• Unsure.

Depends for me on the following:
    1. Are they following th BttF route (damn easy puzzles, and lack of puzzles) or a(n) (almost) Sierra like route.
    2. Are they getting outside help (Like Roberta Williams) to help with the mythos or not (Like they got Bob Gale for BttF as a consultant for the story etc)

• I'm cautiously optimistic, but it could easily lower.
    I'm also one of the few who favours KQ7 over the others, and would love to have that sort of atmosphere and death scenes which aren't too punishing.
    I also can't seem to picture a good 3D Kings Quest game.
    Only time will tell. :)

Add Comment