User Avatar Image

Roberta Williams/Josh Mandel discussion

posted by tomst on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

Congrats to the Telltale team for announcing the return of mid-30 year old males (and anyone else old enough to remember this series) to the world of computer gaming!

Can anyone from TT comment on Roberta Williams's involvement in terms of story & design, if such plans even exist?

237 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: You must have posted this 3 times in different threads. Why does it need its own thread now? And what is the point?

Don't shoot the messenger but I think he posted it so many times so that he can prove a point to you.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Again, what point?

To change your mind? LOL You know how there are some ppl out there who will do anything to change someone's opinions. Maybe he is one of them

• I think maybe he's suggesting that a complete lack of involvement from Roberta in the new game would be the natural progression of the trend of her diminishing involvement in the previous games. :P

• @doom saber said: To change your mind? LOL You know how there are some ppl out there who will do anything to change someone's opinions. Maybe he is one of them

it is the internet. Of course he is one of them.

• @der_ketzer said: it is the internet. Of course he is one of them.

Haha

• @Daventry said: Also, I think sometimes the credits were just listed in alphabetical order (e.g. Jane Jensen before Roberta Williams, Lorelei Shannon before Roberta Williams, Mark Seibert before Roberta Williams.) The games still had her name and face on the box (although I guess you could argue this was done for marketing purposes).

Sierra did do that kind of thing for marketing purposes. Josh Mandel posted at adventuregamers that he saw a review state that Freddy Pharkas was "Al Lowe at his purest" or something like that. Meanwhile Al Lowe had done virtually nothing on the game, with Mandel being the real designer.

• @JuntMonkey said: Sierra did do that kind of thing for marketing purposes. Josh Mandel posted at adventuregamers that he saw a review state that Freddy Pharkas was "Al Lowe at his purest" or something like that. Meanwhile Al Lowe had done virtually nothing on the game, with Mandel being the real designer.

I agree. They even made a questionable type of advertisement on the packaging. The reason why my brother bought Freddy Pharkis because of the tag that says "Al Lowe hopes to have over 1,000,000 copies sold!" However, everything written prior to over was in very fine print.

• @JuntMonkey said: Meanwhile Al Lowe had done virtually nothing on the game, with Mandel being the real designer.

I'd like to see the source backing up that statement. Al has an entire section on his website dedicated to the game.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion/how we interpret what we've read and heard. But bottom line is no one can say for certain since none of us were actually there. It's all speculation. In my opinion, Roberta was still heavily involved all the way up to Mask of Eternity. She decided to bring in addional writing help after King's Quest V because she was working on multiple projects at the same time (e.g. King's Quest VI, Dagger of Amon Ra, King's Quest VII, Phantasmagoria).

I'd like to show you guys a recent Jane Jensen interview where she talks about how Roberta really made all the big decisions regarding King's Quest VI. She says something to the order of (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Roberta called all the shots, and damn it, she was usually right." I'll keep searching for the interview on my spare time and post it here if I find it.

Also, keep in mind that for Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra, Roberta DID actually take a backseat, as writing and design were handled mainly by Bruce Balfour (with additional help from Josh Mandel and Lorelei Shannon). The credits reflect this fact. And Roberta has publicly spoken about how little she was involved. In other words, she was honest in giving credit where credit was due.

• To be fair Al Lowe does give a lot of praise to Mendel in his Pharkas section:
    http://www.allowe.com/FPFP/index.htm

Add Comment