User Avatar Image

Back to the Future pricing

posted by Maikel Steneker on - last edited - Viewed by 698 users

Telltale is really pissing me off. I need to get this off my chest.

When Back to the Future was available for preorder in december of last year, I thought about getting it, but in the end I decided to wait for the Steam/PSN version. The price of 20 dollars (15 euros) was definitely worth it for me, but I'd rather keep my games in one place.

The Steam version then launched for a fair price of 25 dollars. The European version was slightly more expensive, but with other companies ripping us of when they get the chance, 19 euros wasn't bad at all.

By the time the second episode came out, the first episode finally launched on PSN. They kind of made it up by lowering the price to 20 dollars though. I patiently waited for the European release. I reasoned that, because Telltale has always been fair when it comes to exchange rates, I might as well wait for that.

Today, more than two months after the PC release of episode 1 and 3 weeks after the US PSN release of episode 1, Back to the Future finally launched on the European PSN. For a price of 20 euros. In other words, they simply replaced the dollar sign with the euro sign and made European PS3 owners pay more than anyone else.

Unwilling to pay this high price, I booted up my PC to get the Steam version. Unfortunately, as we can see on steamgamessales.com, the price of the Steam version was increased to 25 euros!

I'd really like an explanation for this, because I just don't get it. It feels like Telltale is deliberately teasing me. There are people who preordered this game for 15 dollars and got it on day one. I patiently waited for over two months and I was willing to accept late PSN releases for all other episodes, yet I have to pay 27 dollars - almost twice the amount other people paid!

Who else is frustrated by this?

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @mightypiratetm said: If the PC/Mac are ports of the PSN version, then why does the PC version run better than the PS3 version?

We don't know. Even if the PC version wasn't a port, that's not relevant to the main point of this topic.

• I bought a $20 PSN card for £14! Everybody who wanted it at the same time as the US should have done the same. I even seen a $20 card as low as £13 on ebay! Pretty happy i got it a month earlier and cheaper. :) Roll on episode 2 this month! (15th i guess?)

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Although TTG has been known to rapidly drop prices, nothing like that has happened with BTTF yet. You could somehow manage to get the PC version for 19.95 via the facebook game, but that's about it. The PC version is still 24.95 if you buy it from TTG (Season DVD included).

It's different with Steam, as Giant Tope noted. They make their own prices, and that's where anger is supposed to be directed if you feel that their pricing policy is too unreliable. Same goes for PSN.

• @Vainamoinen said: It's different with Steam, as Giant Tope noted. They make their own prices, and that's where anger is supposed to be directed if you feel that their pricing policy is too unreliable. Same goes for PSN.

I'm a bit confused now, because I was actually convinced of the complete opposite. For example, take a look at this quote:
    #
    OMG WTF BBQ those differences are ridiculous. Be ashamed of yourself Valve!?

Well, the prices may differ heavily, but don't blame Valve - they don't make the prices. Each publisher is on his own responsibility.
    Maybe Telltale can tell us more about this?

• @mightypiratetm said: If the PC/Mac are ports of the PSN version, then why does the PC version run better than the PS3 version?

The compatibility of the engine they're using has something to do with it. They can make multiplatform games using the engine but the engine was designed to make PC games. Even if they port the game from PS3 to PC, it works more efficiently in PC.

• All this confusion over the pricing and release dates of this game. I agree that TT kinda dropped the ball here, I would be frustrated with all the date and price changes if I had been watching them from the start.
    However it seems like you had the opportunity to jump on a couple different editions of this game at lower/preorder prices. You gambled and lost, essentially. I paid 25 dollars for this season on Steam in December, and could really care less that some people got it for 5 dollars less. Just my 2 cents. :)

• Basically we have full control over our pricing at the Telltale Games store. There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes for pricing of our games anywhere else though.

• @Ribs said: Nope, someone from TTG said it was made with the developers tools for PSN first, then the PC/Mac version came from that.

An oft-quoted quote, but one that seems relevant:

Originally Posted by TTG - Caleb
    When we want to put a game on any of the major consoles, we have to send Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/etc a finished version of the game for approval. This approval process usually takes at least two weeks--sometimes longer, if the company finds problems or requests that changes be made. Every game that comes out for every console goes through this same process.

On Sam & Max Season 3, the PS3 versions were developed first, and the PC/Mac versions were finished while the PS3 versions were in the approval process. So when each episode was approved and we knew when it would be up on the Playstation Network, we could release the PC/Mac versions at about the same time.

With BttF, it was decided to develop the PC/Mac versions first, which is why they're coming out earlier--the PSN versions don't take that much longer to finish, but the approval process can take a while, and those versions can't come out until they're completely approved.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

• What does it matter if your games aren't all in the same place? Does that hinder your enjoyment of them? Just go with the cheapest option.

• @Sixkiller said: What does it matter if your games aren't all in the same place? Does that hinder your enjoyment of them? Just go with the cheapest option.

It kind of does. When I want to play a game, I want to be able to just press a button and play it. Consoles and Steam allow me to do this.

When I have to download a seperate installer for every game I want to play, I will play them less and thus enjoy them less. For some people this might seem ridiculous, but if you switch computers a lot and play a lot of different games, it makes sense.

Add Comment