User Avatar Image

What's Mr. Purcell Doing?

posted by Falanca on - last edited - Viewed by 406 users

So here we are, in between seasons. It's almost TOO clear that there are no plans of a fourth season at the moment. So, what's Steve doing? Is he there at the office? You keep him there sitting? Is he with you there?

Hey Steve! How are you, my man! How you doin? What do you think of Dreamworks' Puss in Boots movie? Those guys are ridicilous, am I right? Could you rate me on how I look? I took on my best pose just for my main man!

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @RAnthonyMahan said: Steve has said before that he's not interested in letting Pixar adapt Sam and Max, because the Freelance Police wouldn't mix well with Telltale's style.

wat

• I love Cars... I am DYING to the see the next one.

I'll just go away now and shut up forever 'cos I seem to go off topic with bloody everything.

• D'oh. I meant Pixar's style. Damn typing on auto-pilot...

• @RAnthonyMahan said: D'oh. I meant Pixar's style. Damn typing on auto-pilot...

Well, that's something.

That's sadly true. Flawless, beautiful animation comes with a price if we're talking about characters that don't fit the general archetype of a CGI movie character. But, you know, movie industry has always marked their accomplishments with doing things out of ordinary, who's to say a possible Pixar movie starring Sam and Max, that retains their humor that everyone loves, will not completely change the way we look at animation? I think that's a risk some people should try to take, and I can't think of any other fictional duo fitting such a role.

• I always thought the "Pixar Style" Meant the children's movies they make. So a Sam and Max movie would be too risky with Pixar's reputation.

• @Remolay said: I always thought the "Pixar Style" Meant the children's movies they make. So a Sam and Max movie would be too risky with Pixar's reputation.

@Remolay said: But, you know, movie industry has always marked their accomplishments with doing things out of ordinary, who's to say a possible Pixar movie starring Sam and Max, that retains their humor that everyone loves, will not completely change the way we look at animation? I think that's a risk some people should try to take, and I can't think of any other fictional duo fitting such a role.

I still say such self restrictions are harmful more than helpful for any company or individual. If it's good, it's good. Would it be controversial? Yes. Creative thinking always baffles people that aren't used to do so. But in my vision, it would be successful.

• @Remolay said: I always thought the "Pixar Style" Meant the children's movies they make. So a Sam and Max movie would be too risky with Pixar's reputation.

what?

Not really. Pixar's always sort of abided by Walt Disney's old philosophy of "making movies children aren't ashamed to take their parents to." There's a difference between being for children and being for all ages.

Look at The Incredibles. That's a pretty adult movie. I don't mean "adult" in the sense of having lots of sex and violence (though it was pretty violent as far as PG movies go), but actually being adult. Before we get to see all the cool superhero fights kids came to watch, we have Mr. Incredible going through job issues, family issues, and just all-around being discontent with his life. And they've been going more and more in that direction. I can pretty much promise the adults watching Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 got more out of it than the kids did. Being too "adult" isn't a problem, especially since Sam and Max can be made light and kid-friendly with little effort. (See the cartoon and, to a lesser extent, Telltale's first two seasons.)

I think it's more that Sam and Max clashes with what Pixar's aiming for. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Sam and Max, and I'm not saying it should try to be more deep and complex (although the ending to 305 proved such a thing can work). But Sam and Max just isn't about being complex. It's about two crazy characters living in an even crazier world and going on a never-ending series of increasingly deranged adventures. That isn't a bad thing at all, but Pixar doesn't want to be nothing but comedy. They want to prove that animation is art, and that you can feel for a cartoon character just as much as you can a live actor. I'm not Steve Purcell and I can't speak on his behalf, but I'm guessing that was what he meant.

Then again, I'm sure a Sam and Max movie would be a step up from Cars 2. :p

• Wow, everyone hated Cars? I hated Ratatouille the most (it's too long for its own good). Everything else Pixar made is great.

Anyway, Pixar better give Steve Purcell some more free time so we can get a new Sam and Max comic!

• So basically, Sam & Max might be a better fit for Dreamworks?

...Nah.

Add Comment