User Avatar Image

Heavy Rain inspired gameplay

posted by Woodsyblue on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

The Game Informer article said that the gameplay in Jurassic Park is going to be inspired by Heavy Rain.

Applying the Jurassic Park license to the storytelling systems Telltale has created in past games makes sense to a degree, but in our conversations with the team they kept coming back to Quantic Dreams’ Heavy Rain. “While our story is more linear than Heavy Rain, actions the player takes are reflected in the way the story is told,” Boyle says. “The choices the players make result in changes to the details of the story. Players will know we are paying attention to the decisions they make.”

Telltale is also heavily inspired by Heavy Rain’s gameplay mechanics. The team is still figuring out how actions are presented to the player, but Boyle says Telltale is approaching the task with “more focus on cinematic presentation of your interactions.” Expect plenty of investigating and looking around in the slower-paced gameplay sections, but when the tension escalates to life and death scrambling, the gameplay shifts from selecting destinations to immediate response.

(If you haven't read the article yet you can find it here.)

I don't own a ps3 so I've never played Heavy Rain but if they had released it on PC or 360 I'd would have picked it up in a heartbeat. (For the record I don't actually own a 360, my friend's brother works for Microsoft and they gave him one when he finished his internship and I just sort of inherited it because I have the nicest TV and game playing area of all my friends.) From what I've seen in the videos is that it looks heavy on the quick time events. Also, I hear that decisions in the game are final, like if a character dies, even a main character, they stay dead.

So what do people think of this change in direction from the more traditional adventure game formula Telltale usually employs? I for one like the idea, partly because I never got to play Heavy Rain and would like to get a taste of what the gameplay was like. I also think it would work better for a franchise like Jurassic Park were the element of danger can't be ignored.

160 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's interesting to see Telltale to branch out in this manner. At least they are changing up their formula

• User Avatar Image
    PoF

I'm so, so, so, so, sooooooo disappointed it will be a QTE based gameplay...

I so wanted to discover Nublar by myself, walking slowly, turning back every 5 seconds...

I could cry of frustration.

And worst thing is I'm loving JP so much that I'll still buy the TT game... Raaaah...

• I'm currently playing "Heavy Rain", and it's the most intense game I've played in ages, so I'm really looking forward to another game with a similar control system.

• Hey Telltale,

You know what made Heavy Rain awesome?

It WASN'T the Quicktime event gameplay.

It was the extreme amount of choice and freedom that you had as a player to influence the outcome of the story. It was the multiple paths and endings, and actions with real consequences. And player deaths that didn't result in an automatic restart.

Please don't just take the surface appearance of Heavy Rain's interface and apply it to a shallow, unrewarding, perfectly linear "experience" that takes away any sense of challenge or consequence to the player's actions.

Thanks,

--A fan of adventure games. Emphasis on "adventure" and "game."

• As long as it has an awesome story and loveable characters then I'm sure it'll be good. Being linear isn't always a bad thing. I don't hear people complaining about Dead Space being linear.

• @waroftheworlds01 said: As long as it has an awesome story and loveable characters then I'm sure it'll be good. Being linear isn't always a bad thing. I don't hear people complaining about Dead Space being linear.

Why not just rent a movie?

Dead Space is a COMPLETELY different type of game. First of all, you can actually move around and explore Dead Space's environments, and the action and atmosphere is tense and gripping.

I'm just wondering what experience I can get from this game that I can't get from pausing and unpausing the Jurassic Park movie.

• @Lambonius said: Why not just rent a movie?

Dead Space is a COMPLETELY different type of game. First of all, you can actually move around and explore Dead Space's environments, and the action and atmosphere is tense and gripping.

I'm just wondering what experience I can get from this game that I can't get from pausing and unpausing the Jurassic Park movie.

Well, its the challenge of having to push buttons to NOT pause the game :)!

One funny thing I thought of is that death is actually rewarded!
    You actually want to die to see important content of the game. That sounds scary...

Imagine Dead Space with big death animations, and instead fleeing from the monsters you let them kill you to see them. And after a few times you try to beat the game only to progress cause you grew tired of em and repeat that in the next stage.

• @Lambonius said: Why not just rent a movie?

Because I don't want to rent a movie. I want to play Jurassic Park!

First off, we haven't even played the game yet so we can't give an accurate description of if the game is tense and gripping or not. As for the two being completely diffrent. i doubt it. In the end every game is the same. Get from point A to point B with out failing. In the end, its about how well the game makes the journey between A and B.

You also have to keep in mind that this is an adventure game. And if you look at all the major advernture games there was no direct walking control involved. It was always point where you wanted to go. This game is taking what adventure games have been doing all along but giving it a new look.

And your wondering what experience you can get from this game that you can't get from pausing and unpausing the Jurassic Park movie? I can't answer that for you. For me, I want the game for two reason. One: It's a Jurassic Park game. Two: It's a side story that has never been told before. That's good enough for me.

• Heavy Rain is actually my #1 favorite PS3 game, so I'm all for JP using some of it's style.

• http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1375&news=telltale+games+jurassic+park+pax+east+2011

Herman also mentioned that the game will scale its difficulty according to how well you’re playing, which seems like a smart way to ensure that game still has challenging elements. If you keep missing those quicktime commands, it’ll let up on you, but keep nailing them and you could be in for a rough ride.

Interesting. So they're trying to incorporate something akin to the Left 4 Dead director AI to adapt the QTE difficulty to the player's skill level. I wonder how exactly that'll work?

Unfortunately, from the rest of the article, it sounds like they're not doing anything similar for the puzzle-solving aspects. If the puzzles are too easy, then too damn bad. At least the QTEs might be kind of tricky. :/

Add Comment