User Avatar Image

Opinions of KQ8: Mask of Eternity?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 970 users

Personally, I actually really liked that game. Yes it had a bit too much violence, but then again violence was an option in the early KQ games. While KQ5 is my favorite KQ, I wouldn't have minded KQ going in that epic, Arthurian direction. KQ8's story and symbolism is much deeper than any of the previous games, and Connor isn't that bad of a character in retrospect. I personally find it a true KQ game and criminally underrated.

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I enjoyed King's Quest 8. It could have been better and would have loved to seen it remade as an adventure game by some of the independent fandevs out there.

That having been said. I've always considered it King's Quest 8. It's good for what it is.

• @Simo Sakari Aaltonen said: Strange, for me the word has just the right feel. These are storybook or fairy tale games, after all. Of course, anyone not keen on it is welcome to offer alternatives. :p

It seems silly to dismiss a title only because the word "Tales" appears in the title of the Monkey Island episodic. (If that is one's reason.)

Using the same prefix in the title as Monkey Island sends completely the wrong message, first of all. Secondly, what wilco said.

• To this day even thinking about King's Quest 8 makes me angry. Without a doubt one of the worst game I have ever played and easily the worst sequel ever made to one of my favorite franchises. I have yet to hear people make even one convincing case for a way in which this game doesn't fail miserably.

• @Roivas said: To this day even thinking about King's Quest 8 makes me angry. Without a doubt one of the worst game I have ever played and easily the worst sequel ever made to one of my favorite franchises. I have yet to hear people make even one convincing case for a way in which this game doesn't fail miserably.

Tis true it sprang not from noble stock, but it's resolve was true and it's challenge was clear...

While it lacked the King's Quest theme song, I did think the game had good music. I definitely don't think it's the worst game I ever played. That distinction probably goes to Phantasmagoria 2.

• @G.byrne said: Tis true it sprang not from noble stock, but it's resolve was true and it's challenge was clear...

While it lacked the King's Quest theme song, I did think the game had good music. I definitely don't think it's the worst game I ever played. That distinction probably goes to Phantasmagoria 2.

There is no real KQ theme song....
    KQI (original) and KQII use Greensleeves.
    KQIII, KQIV and KQI SCI have their own distinct themes
    KQV, KQVI AND KQVII use different variations of the same theme.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: KQI (original) and KQII use Greensleeves

Greensleeves is so great that even it's PC speaker version is good. :D

I have version of Greensleeves on CD where they use renaissance English lyrics and old instruments. That's truly a beautiful song.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: There is no real KQ theme song....
    KQI (original) and KQII use Greensleeves.
    KQIII, KQIV and KQI SCI have their own distinct themes
    KQV, KQVI AND KQVII use different variations of the same theme.

I like the title roll from KQV and VI. AGDI reused it for their remakes of the first three games.

• @Olaus Petrus said: Greensleeves is so great that even it's PC speaker version is good. :D

I have version of Greensleeves on CD where they use reneissance English lyrics and old instruments. That's truly a beautiful song.

If anything, Greensleeves should've been the theme for the series, used in every game. The KQ Companion states that it's the official theme of King Graham's court--a nice touch IMO.

• Greensleeves would have been fine back in the day, but it'd be pretty tacky now. Kind of like how wearing green clothes that say "kiss me, i'm irish" while drinking a shit ton of beer on St. Patrick's day is tacky. That's how I feel at least.

• I think a nod to Greensleaves to be found as easter eggs would have been a nice touch. I wouldn't have wanted to see it as an 'intro' song in every game... Seriously KQ4 probably had the best introduction music in the entire series, and it was original.

For that matter Greensleaves only appeared on certain versions of the KQ games as far as I know. KQ1 for example had at least two different intro music depending on the system it was played on.

Add Comment