User Avatar Image

What's with all the aggression on this forum?

posted by Daventry on - last edited - Viewed by 857 users

I've mentioned before that I'm relatively new to these forums. I've been a huge King's Quest fan since I was a little kid, so a new KQ announcement naturally attracted me to this message board. At first I was quite excited to see such a dedicated community, but over the course of these past few weeks I've picked up on a fair bit of hostile aggression, making this place (in my opinion), not as pleasant as it could be.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way? I've been active on several other adventure gaming forums throughout the years (SierraGamers, SierraForums, Cort-X, and even Sierra's own forums before they were shut down, just to name a few), and this one seems to have the most hostile group of posters by far.

I don't mean to single anyone out specifically. I understand that we're all quite opinionated and feel strongly about Sierra, Telltale, King's Quest, and Roberta Williams in one way or another. But the fact that we all share the same passion should bring us together, right?

If you feel the same way, maybe we can all (emphasis on all) try a bit better to stay cordial with our comments? And remember, we can always agree to disagree.

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Anakin Skywalker said: We already got a sequel dealing with 1,000 year old plots, reinventions and utter re imaginings of key characters, deep conspiracies which tie all the originals together as tight as a Botox recipient's face. No thanks.

If KQ2VGA is any indication of what an AGDI sequel would be like, it'd be TSL without the emo-ness.

The only fan group I'd trust at this point is IA.

It's actually pretty obvious that the only sequel you wouldn't utterly and totally hate is one that you made yourself as anyone who adds or changes anything in the KQ universe as you perceive it is immediately villified in your book. I hate to break it to you, but any company that does any sequel is going to add something to the series in some way, and while the quality of Telltale's take on the KQ series remains to be seen, one thing you can be totally sure of is that it will be radically different from any previous King's Quest.

• @wilco64256 said: It's actually pretty obvious that the only sequel you wouldn't utterly and totally hate is one that you made yourself as anyone who adds or changes anything in the KQ universe as you perceive it is immediately villified in your book. I hate to break it to you, but any company that does any sequel is going to add something to the series in some way, and while the quality of Telltale's take on the KQ series remains to be seen, one thing you can be totally sure of is that it will be radically different from any previous King's Quest.

Oh no, see, I have nothing against DIFFERENT.
    I have a certain thing against shoehorning in modern fantasy CRAP and either:

1) Tying all the games tightly together in a ridiculous fashion (to me the games are standalone entities with only menial ties to each other. They're adventures, in much the same way that the Indiana Jones films are. References can be made to previous entries but there's not an overarching arc or conspiracy that binds everything together. I'm also not a Jane Jensen worshipper and don't think the KQ universe revolves around the Black Cloak Society)
    2) Going a totally emo/soap opera route (Valanice trying to commit suicide, her father being Manannan, etc etc. KQ is not a soap opera.)

I liked the direction KQ7 and KQ8 took the series, and both were very different games and I'd have supported either direction.

I'm even excited for KOS and loved IA's prequel. So, no, I'm fine with change. Just not making backstories where it doesn't even make sense to or going all emo and gooey. I also don't support going the teenage fantasy route.

I like all sorts of fantasy stories, from the light funniness of the Hobbit and classical fairy tales, to the medium classical fantasy worlds of the Forgotten Realms, to the pulpish, eerie adventures of Conan the Cimmerian, and finally to the grimdark world of Warhammer Fantasy. So my tastes run the gamut but there's certain things I feel--given the past games--which fit in KQ and certain things that don't, couldn't, and shouldn't be tried.

See, for all it's flaws, KQ8 is an epic, in the tradition of Malory or JRR Tolkien--Not saying it's AS GOOD as either of those--but it's in that very medieval epic vein. TSL on the other hand...is very Twilight. Hopefully you can see the difference in quality between Twilight and LOTR.

• I have a hard time believeing Telltale will take the time to make hard references to previous KQ games, in great detail, or convoluted ways.

Especially since it would probably be confusing to new players introduced to the series. One of the reasons why the old games were so 'self-contained' was so that new players wouldn't be required to play older games to understand what was going on.

I'm sure Telltale will make a sophisticated story (and it'll probably be more sophisticated than most of the old KQ games), but while doing it, they'll probably avoid too many links to the older games (so that new players won't be required to play those games to understand what's going on).

Future seasons will likely then link more directly into the Telltale season, rather than the older games (similar to the structure Telltale has done with S&M).

Even ToMI is a pretty self-contained story, not requiring knowledge of the previous series. Even the intro makes references to Guybrush's previous adventure, and that adventure has nothing to do with EMI (but something completely unconnected to the previous series).

If TT's KQ is a true reboot, it won't really make direct references to the previous games at all, instead reinventing the world for a new audience.

• KOS is VERY KQ5 in tone. The story is interesting, but not convoluted, and we've been very careful to try and capture a Roberta Williams dialog style, rather than a Jane Jensen one. Narrations are in 3rd person rather than 2nd ("Graham hangs his cloak on a nearby branch." rather than "You hang your cloak on a nearby branch.") I think fans of KQ5 will very much appreciate it.

• @Valiento said: I have a hard time believeing Telltale will take the time to make hard references to previous KQ games, in great detail, or convoluted ways.

Especially since it would probably be confusing to new players introduced to the series. One of the reasons why the old games were so 'self-contained' was so that new players wouldn't be required to play older games to understand what was going on.

I'm sure Telltale will make a sophisticated story (and it'll probably be more sophisticated than most of the old KQ games), but while doing it, they'll probably avoid too many links to the older games (so that new players won't be required to play those games to understand what's going on).

Future seasons will likely then link more directly into the Telltale season, rather than the older games (similar to the structure Telltale has done with S&M).

Even ToMI is a pretty self-contained story, not requiring knowledge of the previous series. Even the intro makes references to Guybrush's previous adventure, and that adventure has nothing to do with EMI.

If TT's KQ is a true reboot, it won't really make direct references to the previous games at all, instead reinventing the world for a new audience.

This.
    I'm fine with sophistication. I mean it's not my cup of tea, I prefer simple but good, but I'll accept a sophisticated story that's also straightforward and true to KQ rather than one that's utterly twisted, convoluted and soap opera-ish.

See--Sophisticated does not have to equal melodrama.

And a reboot which starts things afresh could be really interesting if done right. I consider, for example, the Roger Moore version of James Bond to be a reboot from the Connery version...and I love them both because they're two great takes on the same character, while keeping the same general continuity and feel.

• @Anakin Skywalker said:
    See--Sophisticated does not have to equal melodrama.

I would go so far as to call "sophistication" and "melodrama" polar opposites. Sorry, TSL.

• @Lambonius said: KOS is VERY KQ5 in tone. The story is interesting, but not convoluted, and we've been very careful to try and capture a Roberta Williams dialog style, rather than a Jane Jensen one. Narrations are in 3rd person rather than 2nd ("Graham hangs his cloak on a nearby branch." rather than "You hang your cloak on a nearby branch.") I think fans of KQ5 will very much appreciate it.

Excellent news, given that KQ5 is my favorite game. The little screenshots you guys have put out look great. Personally I'd love to see an original KQ game done by IA.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Excellent news, given that KQ5 is my favorite game. The little screenshots you guys have put out look great. Personally I'd love to see an original KQ game done by IA.

Special care has been taken so that it slides into the continuity without disrupting, retconning, or altering any existing story elements of the series. Certainly, it's an all new story, but it is self-contained, and doesn't really affect the timelines around it, though there are allusions to other KQ games (namely KQ3) in there in places.

• @Lambonius said: Special care has been taken so that it slides into the continuity without disrupting, retconning, or altering any existing story elements of the series. Certainly, it's an all new story, but it is self-contained, and doesn't really affect the timelines around it, though there are allusions to other KQ games (namely KQ3) in there in places.

And that right there Ladies, Gentlemen and TSL people, is how you do good fanfiction.

• I think the aggression and hostility we have all seen on this forum is as far from what King's Quest stands for as I can imagine...

I suggest an exercise. Look in the magic mirror and ask which KQ character your behaviour most resembles. If the answer pleases you, give yourself a pat on the back and carry on adventuring with your head held up high! :)

If the answer is less pleasing, there is no need to give up! Look again and ask which character you truly want to be like. Then click "Try Again", look through your inventory and consider all you have seen and heard. Good luck! ;)

Add Comment