User Avatar Image

What's with all the aggression on this forum?

posted by Daventry on - last edited - Viewed by 756 users

I've mentioned before that I'm relatively new to these forums. I've been a huge King's Quest fan since I was a little kid, so a new KQ announcement naturally attracted me to this message board. At first I was quite excited to see such a dedicated community, but over the course of these past few weeks I've picked up on a fair bit of hostile aggression, making this place (in my opinion), not as pleasant as it could be.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way? I've been active on several other adventure gaming forums throughout the years (SierraGamers, SierraForums, Cort-X, and even Sierra's own forums before they were shut down, just to name a few), and this one seems to have the most hostile group of posters by far.

I don't mean to single anyone out specifically. I understand that we're all quite opinionated and feel strongly about Sierra, Telltale, King's Quest, and Roberta Williams in one way or another. But the fact that we all share the same passion should bring us together, right?

If you feel the same way, maybe we can all (emphasis on all) try a bit better to stay cordial with our comments? And remember, we can always agree to disagree.

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • TSL, AGDI, and IA games have all been really great... I love them and I would have gladly have paid money to have had a nice DVD copy sitting next to my other "official" games.... BUT now I am trying not to offend... but those game are really great and a lot of fun but they are NOT professional.. much of it still comes off as fan efforts while its good its NOT what I would expect from a Modern official product... For that I am glad that TTG has gotten the license... But I fully support you all and will gladly play any games you all make... I look forward to buying and playing Mage's initiation... I signed up to pre-order.

• @Irishmile said: TSL, AGDI, and IA games have all been really great... I love them and I would have gladly have paid money to have had a nice DVD copy sitting next to my other "official" games.... BUT now I am trying not to offend... but those game are really great and a lot of fun but they are NOT professional.. much of it still comes off as fan efforts while its good its NOT what I would expect from a Modern official product... For that I am glad that TTG has gotten the license... But I fully support you all and will gladly play any games you all make... I look forward to buying and playing Mage's initiation... I signed up to pre-order.

I don't think it's fair to compare what a person does for free in their spare time and what a person does when it's their full-time job.

• I agree with what you just said, Rather, and I think it is a fallacy to believe that the result of any of the fan groups doing a commercial KQ title would be just like their fan games. I feel fairly safe in saying this, because my own approach to the small creative hobby projects I have done over the years has always been markedly different than to those conceived as commercial products. I think the same goes for each of the fan groups, to a greater or lesser degree.

• I don't think it's fair to compare what a person does for free in their spare time and what a person does when it's their full-time job.

they make a good point

• @Irishmile said: stick around there are plenty of really great people here...

like me. :D

lol, but seriously. Speaking for myself, if I'm opinionated about things in this KQ forum, it's probably mostly nostalgia talking.

I got in on these forums when ToMI was coming out, and people around here can get on edge at times, but usually we are really pretty friendly.

Certain specific topics do seem to set people off though, like the whole Ron-Gilbert's-MI3 discussion that get so many people riled up, including myself.

• I don't think it's fair to compare what a person does for free in their spare time and what a person does when it's their full-time job.

At least with AGDi one can compare the quality of their commercial games, Himalaya, they did release Al Emmo. Looking at screen shots it doesn't look much different than their fan games as far as technology is concerned. It still appears to use outdated VGA-style graphics. That style is outdated and simply not commercially viable. It really only appeals to to an extreme niche of indie gamers.

Telltales engine is modern, it looks good, and the company has proven their games sell. They sell to broad demographics. They likely have huge budgets to put towards the games as well. They update the technology with improved graphics with each game they release.

• Al Emmo is not VGA. It's 640x480, just in case you weren't aware. It's more detailed than the remakes. The problem is people don't see 2D gaming as viable when it could be.

• Thank you the screen shots don't adequately represent that, I stand corrected.

I also agree with your assessment. 2-d gaming got a bit of a life on the DS, but hasn't really been marketable on PC and consoles from what I've seen.

• @Valiento said: Thank you the screen shots don't adequately represent that, I stand corrected.

I also agree with your assessment. 2-d gaming got a bit of a life on the DS, but hasn't really been marketable on PC and consoles from what I've seen.

which is a shame. Some of my favorite games of the last years are in 2-D.

• @Rather Dashing said: I don't think it's fair to compare what a person does for free in their spare time and what a person does when it's their full-time job.

Yeah but that is kind of the point isn't it... I wasn't saying it was bad either.. Just a fan effort... My point was that they wanted the license and only had the games they have in their library as their argument for deserving it...

Add Comment