User Avatar Image

Roberta Williams/Josh Mandel discussion

posted by tomst on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Congrats to the Telltale team for announcing the return of mid-30 year old males (and anyone else old enough to remember this series) to the world of computer gaming!

Can anyone from TT comment on Roberta Williams's involvement in terms of story & design, if such plans even exist?

237 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: I don't think you make puzzles by accident as a result of technological limitations.

I think sometimes you do, really. I'm saying that sometimes creativity is fueled by limitations. I do think, sometimes, that because we live in an era of such powerful computing where almost ANYTHING is possible, creativity actually suffers.

Bt

• I once accidentally made a puzzle because I lacked the technology.

• @Irishmile said: I once accidentally made a puzzle because I lacked the technology.

Then you must be one wild, and-uh-crazy guy!!!!

Bt

• I don't see how they were limited, though. They could have made most things scripted events. Granted, memory limits the actual animations per disk, but they could remove a lot of space by taking out a ton of interactive objects, text boxes, death scenes, etc, and limiting the game to only those things that are very important(and making sure they're all in the same room, right next to each other, and often mentioned). And after the CD era? They made Phantasmagoria on that! They had full power by their CD games to make adventure games that lacked any sort of puzzles or gameplay.

I think that Sierra always had the option to create bad games too, and I don't think Telltale is in some sort of unique position where "games for toddlers" is some new concept that only came into existence with our super smart computers.

• Sierra did create some bad games. Remember Codename: Iceman??

Bt

• @Irishmile said: The whole point of gaming is interacting within a narrative.. Movies are the most popular form so comparisons are unavoidable.

Really? I think the fun is on #1 or how would you describe the narrative in Tetris?

• @der_ketzer said: Really? I think the fun is on #1 or how would you describe the narrative in Tetris?

It's a stylistic and experimental arthouse film meant to convey a lesson about the futility of all human effort. No matter how well you do in life, eventually you'll be crushed by the weight of the work you push yourself to complete or you're stopped by your own death. This was a popular message in the earliest video games.

That or video games are meant to be games that are played on a video screen(television or a computer/arcade monitor), but that would just be silly.

• @Rather Dashing said: a one-man boycott against a growing, changing monolith that once was a smaller and more manageable entity that meant something to me

Hipster. ;)

Add Comment