User Avatar Image

What's with all the aggression on this forum?

posted by Daventry on - last edited - Viewed by 721 users

I've mentioned before that I'm relatively new to these forums. I've been a huge King's Quest fan since I was a little kid, so a new KQ announcement naturally attracted me to this message board. At first I was quite excited to see such a dedicated community, but over the course of these past few weeks I've picked up on a fair bit of hostile aggression, making this place (in my opinion), not as pleasant as it could be.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way? I've been active on several other adventure gaming forums throughout the years (SierraGamers, SierraForums, Cort-X, and even Sierra's own forums before they were shut down, just to name a few), and this one seems to have the most hostile group of posters by far.

I don't mean to single anyone out specifically. I understand that we're all quite opinionated and feel strongly about Sierra, Telltale, King's Quest, and Roberta Williams in one way or another. But the fact that we all share the same passion should bring us together, right?

If you feel the same way, maybe we can all (emphasis on all) try a bit better to stay cordial with our comments? And remember, we can always agree to disagree.

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Anakin Skywalker said: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=453492&postcount=6

and I could completely understand his reaction after what they did with BTTF and most of The Devils Playhouse.

• @der_ketzer said: and I could completely understand his reaction after what they did with BTTF and most of The Devils Playhouse.

So, don't play it. Don't even bother.
    You and others should drop the facade that you have anything more than hope that this game fails. It's easily seen through.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: So, don't play it. Don't even bother.
    You and others should drop the facade that you have anything more than hope that this game fails. It's easily seen through.

I have to agree with Anakin on this one. Hoping that something fails before it's release is ridiculously narcasistic and promotes nothing but anger. If you don't want to support the effort, simply leave. Win/Win situation. As for the previous comment of "Look what they did to BTTF..." What have they done? The only game that was available for BTTF was an NES game that had nothing to do with the movie. TTG brought us the feel of the movie which made it enjoyable. Let's see those arguing develop a game before commenting on how much you hate anything.

The only complaint I may have regarding BTTF is the lack of complexity. It did seem very linear, but Episode 2 made up a bit for it. I'm anticipating Episode 3 to move beyond my expectations because of the feedback provided by the community. If you don't promote what you enjoy, no one will listen and you will be left with nothing in the end.

• I don't hope Telltale's KQ project fails, I just hope they can pull it off right and make it feel like a King's Quest game, not a Lucasarts version of a King's Quest game. But forums are meant to debate issues, not sit around and agree on everything. People are just pointing out obstacles with building a new KQ game.

• @der_ketzer said: and I could completely understand his reaction after what they did with BTTF and most of The Devils Playhouse.

It was a knee-jerk reaction at the announcement riding on the coattails of my reaction to Back to the Future: The "Game": Episode 2. It was expressed a tad less restrained than I care for in retrospect.

@der_ketzer said: I have to agree with Anakin on this one. Hoping that something fails before it's release is ridiculously narcissistic

Wait, narcissistic? How? Where does ego and inflated self-worth come into the equation?

and promotes nothing but anger. If you don't want to support the effort, simply leave. Win/Win situation.

Sounds like a losing proposition to me. They get to hear the concerns well after the point where anything could actually be done about it? I get to be treated like some sort of outcast pariah in a community of people that I generally like, and that I've been an active part of since relatively far back in the company's history? Other people who don't like the direction this company is going get to feel alienated and like nobody thinks the same way they do? Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose/Win, more like.

As for the previous comment of "Look what they did to BTTF..." What have they done? The only game that was available for BTTF was an NES game that had nothing to do with the movie. TTG brought us the feel of the movie which made it enjoyable.

If someone punches you in the nuts, the next guy coming about and punching you in the gut doesn't improve the situation. And I hardly agree with it keeping the "Back to the Future feeling"(e.g., Doc's extremely limited animations and being put into situations where his animations can be forcibly limited), but that's an entirely different matter.

Let's see those arguing develop a game before commenting on how much you hate anything.

We should also remove user reviews on Amazon, until the users have verified that they're authors, manufacturers, engineers, video game designers, etc etc. It takes a chef to know when something's undercooked, a barista to know that your coffee is cold, a farmer to know that the fruit is rotten, and a trained maid to know that your room is a disorganized mess.

And as an aside, why does it take professional experience to be allowed to hold a pessimistic viewpoint, but excitement and support have a substantially lower bar of entry?

The only complaint I may have regarding BTTF is the lack of complexity. It did seem very linear, but Episode 2 made up a bit for it.

How?

I'm anticipating Episode 3 to move beyond my expectations because of the feedback provided by the community. If you don't promote what you enjoy, no one will listen and you will be left with nothing in the end.

What feedback? By the game development community? Because again, you're not supposed to make comments unless you've tried developing a game before.

• I don't think that anybody here has said anything to the effect of hoping that Telltale's game fails. Quite to the contrary, the fan groups involved in making adventure games likely want to see this game be a commercial success to support the adventure game genre period. If this game bombs then it would become more difficult for fan groups to do their own commercial products as well.

• @GuyMonkeyBrush said: Hoping that something fails before it's release is ridiculously narcasistic and promotes nothing but anger. If you don't want to support the effort, simply leave. Win/Win situation.

Nobody ever said they wanted it to fail. If they did I imagine they wouldn't even be here. In fact, I'm specifically staying around to try and make sure King's Quest is the best it can be.

As for the previous comment of "Look what they did to BTTF..." What have they done?

Not much. :rolleyes:

• @Rather Dashing said: [post]

Pariah? How are you a pariah?

I admit, you have no qualms to strongly voice your opinion (especially when it's negative), but what's wrong with that? At least you have intelligent reason behind your arguement, rather than just flat out saying something is great or sucks for reasons that don't make sense (like some people.)

Oh and btw, I totally agree with the rest of your post.

• @Chyron8472 said: Pariah? How are you a pariah?

You misread. I meant that if I was meant to accept that I and my viewpoint were inherently unacceptable and that, due to it, I should leave(and make everyone better off), I'd end up being essentially a pariah, separate from the normal flow of discourse(which was the point I was referring to in that section of my post).

Add Comment