User Avatar Image

Alright...

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 732 users

I've been defending this game a lot BUT:

I watched a BTTF playthrough (I haven't had much cash so not really able to afford games) and I have to say...If TT takes the BTTF route with KQ, then it will have been a very big mistake.

I'm a fan of interactive movies; I loved Phantasmagoria--but even Phantas didn't explicitly hold you by the hand and tell you exactly what to do and where. From what it seems, BTTF is truly an interactive movie--a movie which tons of cutscenes, no REAL puzzles and very little interaction with the surroundings. I'd take an interactive movie in the Phantas vein with a narrator added--that could be cool, because Phantas was pretty challenging in parts. But not BTTF style? No way!

Also, I hope they don't go for the Pixar/3D cartoon look of BTTF. I'd love an updated VGA sort of look, or even a KQ7 look. But not a 3D Pixar look. It just looks goofy.

I've been supporting this game because I want KQ to come back from the dead, and from a plot perspective, I fear the alternative to TT (TSL). I don't ever want POS going near KQ officially. I'd accept AGDI doing an official KQ game as they get the feel and the puzzles and the atmosphere down pat, but I'm not a big fan of them tying all the games together tightly and having GK style conspiracies just like TSL does.

If AGDI would do a KQ game with the sophistication of KQ2VGA but without the intricate plot and "epic" backstory, I'd 100% support them getting the license....

So, yeah right now it's a "lesser of two evils" situation.....

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @wilco64256 said: And that right there is why even other people who dislike TSL won't take you seriously, you flat out refuse to hold any kind of mature discussion about anything. The second anybody points out that you're misrepresenting anything you immediately go this place of being whiny and sarcastic and just won't look at anything with even the smallest bit of logic.

Kind of hard to be mature when you write a long, mature, calmly written piece expressing your view, and you're replied with what amounts to:

"yeah well we have Sierra designers talking to us and big download numbers, so no one is listening to you and basically your opinion means nothing, and you're giving the community a bad name, and by the way, tee hee, in opposing us, you're actually helping our cause."

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Kind of hard to be mature when you write a long, mature, calmly written piece expressing your view, and you're replied with what amounts to:

"yeah well we have Sierra designers talking to us and big download numbers, so no one is listening to you and basically your opinion means nothing, and you're giving the community a bad name, and by the way, tee hee, in opposing us, you're actually helping our cause."

Maturity isn't about writing some long, mature, calm thing. Anybody can write something long and calm. Maturity is about how you react when someone disagrees with you.

• @wilco64256 said: That's just your conspiracy theory that you made up, we never once said anywhere that we intended to remake all of the Sierra franchises into something else. We have always said all along that any franchise we worked on we would do everything possible to keep them true to their roots and get original designers involved. This crap about us re-making entire series is something you made up all by yourself.

And yeah, we're three episodes into a five episode game, we're sticking with the plot we have and finishing this game. Even if we feel it might have been better to do it a little differently, we're not going to try and rewrite the entire tone of the game with only two episodes to go. That wouldn't accomplish anything other than confusing people and taking too long to finish the game.

Well, you've had 8 or 9 years of development time, and almost a year has passed since Episode 1 came out. I don't know when you began to question your plot or it's tone...But whenever it happened, there's been plenty of time to change even a bit of it to make it lighter, more KQ-esque. And you've had detractors for years, almost half a decade at least, and in all that time, never once did any criticism, even from Josh Mandel himself about the darkness of the plot, make you rethink anything major, about the tone or darkness or anything.

• @wilco64256 said: Maturity isn't about writing some long, mature, calm thing. Anybody can write something long and calm. Maturity is about how you react when someone disagrees with you.

Maturity isn't about calmly putting forth your opinion?
    So what is maturity--basically telling someone "my company is bigger than you, we're bigger, no one listens to you or cares what you have to say, so just shut up"?

If someone antagonizes me, I give it right back to them. I gave you in that long post what I felt was the greatest amount of respect I can give, I gave acknowledgement that even if I loathe your game, you are fans nonetheless, I was pretty fair on some points.

And I was responded with an antagonistic, arrogant response.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Well, you've had 8 or 9 years of development time, and almost a year has passed since Episode 1 came out. I don't know when you began to question your plot or it's tone...But whenever it happened, there's been plenty of time to change even a bit of it to make it lighter, more KQ-esque. And you've had detractors for years, almost half a decade at least, and in all that time, never once did any criticism, even from Josh Mandel himself about the darkness of the plot, make you rethink anything major, about the tone or darkness or anything.

Actually you have no idea what the original plot actually was or how much has changed or what the exact details of Josh's beef with the game were so your entire post has no basis in anything but your own opinion.

• Actually, I remember clearly Cez saying something to the effect of if POS got the Sierra IPs they would do what they wanted with them because they're the ones who got the IP and that he was sorry but they can only do what they like doing (I'm heavily paraphrasing). So that's not entirely true. Still, whatever. If that happened and POS did screw up Sierra IPs I just wouldn't acknowledge them. Like I won't acknowledge Telltale's KQ if they screw it up. But at this point I'd support POS any day in a commercial venture over Telltale as things stand right now.

• @wilco64256 said: Actually you have no idea what the original plot actually was or how much has changed or what the exact details of Josh's beef with the game were so your entire post has no basis in anything but your own opinion.

Considering a large portion of what seems to have been the original plot (circa 2002?) leaked on Google Groups nearly a decade ago and portions of it have remained the same since, I'd imagine stuff like "Manannan is Valanice's father!" would've evoked a "WTF?" response from Josh.

And in his infamous fight with Cez on AdventureGamers, Josh did give inklings as to his own doubts plotwise.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Actually, I remember clearly Cez saying something to the effect of if POS got the Sierra IPs they would do what they wanted with them because they're the ones who got the IP and that he was sorry but they can only do what they like doing (I'm heavily paraphrasing). So that's not entirely true. Still, whatever. If that happened and POS did screw up Sierra IPs I just wouldn't acknowledge them. Like I won't acknowledge Telltale's KQ if they screw it up. But at this point I'd support POS any day in a commercial venture over Telltale as things stand right now.

Right, with new games yes we'd be responsible for plot and gameplay and stuff like that. What I'm referring to here is Anakin's ongoing claim that if we had the rights to do KQ games we would replace all the old KQ1-8 with our own new versions and get rid of those.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Considering a large portion of what seems to have been the original plot (circa 2002?) leaked on Google Groups nearly a decade ago and portions of it have remained the same since, I'd imagine stuff like "Manannan is Valanice's father!" would've evoked a "WTF?" response from Josh.

And in his infamous fight with Cez on AdventureGamers, he did give inklings as to his own doubts plotwise.

As you said, it's been 8 years since then and the game has been massively overhauled in that time. And you're still trying to speak for Josh Mandel when he's perfectly capable of speaking for himself. Yes he disagreed with the plot, but he also understood that the game is fan fiction and he was able to let it go at that.

• @wilco64256 said: Right, with new games yes we'd be responsible for plot and gameplay and stuff like that. What I'm referring to here is Anakin's ongoing claim that if we had the rights to do KQ games we would replace all the old KQ1-8 with our own new versions and get rid of those.

Well, you've already retconned most of the originals out of importance as it is. Do I think you'd go and remake all of the originals? No.

But you admit yourself that "with new games we'd be responsible for plot and gameplay and stuff like that." As TT is being judged by their previous work for what they're going to do with this game, why isn't it just as fair to judge you and what you might do with a commercial KQ by what you've done so far?

By rights, one can vehemently oppose such a possibility. You see, that's the major and main thing I'm opposed to: Your vision becoming canon. Make all the fangames you want--I don't care.

Add Comment