User Avatar Image

Alright...

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 911 users

I've been defending this game a lot BUT:

I watched a BTTF playthrough (I haven't had much cash so not really able to afford games) and I have to say...If TT takes the BTTF route with KQ, then it will have been a very big mistake.

I'm a fan of interactive movies; I loved Phantasmagoria--but even Phantas didn't explicitly hold you by the hand and tell you exactly what to do and where. From what it seems, BTTF is truly an interactive movie--a movie which tons of cutscenes, no REAL puzzles and very little interaction with the surroundings. I'd take an interactive movie in the Phantas vein with a narrator added--that could be cool, because Phantas was pretty challenging in parts. But not BTTF style? No way!

Also, I hope they don't go for the Pixar/3D cartoon look of BTTF. I'd love an updated VGA sort of look, or even a KQ7 look. But not a 3D Pixar look. It just looks goofy.

I've been supporting this game because I want KQ to come back from the dead, and from a plot perspective, I fear the alternative to TT (TSL). I don't ever want POS going near KQ officially. I'd accept AGDI doing an official KQ game as they get the feel and the puzzles and the atmosphere down pat, but I'm not a big fan of them tying all the games together tightly and having GK style conspiracies just like TSL does.

If AGDI would do a KQ game with the sophistication of KQ2VGA but without the intricate plot and "epic" backstory, I'd 100% support them getting the license....

So, yeah right now it's a "lesser of two evils" situation.....

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Well, you've already retconned most of the originals out of importance as it is. Do I think you'd go and remake all of the originals? No.

But you admit yourself that "with new games we'd be responsible for plot and gameplay and stuff like that." As TT is being judged by their previous work for what they're going to do with this game, why isn't it just as fair to judge you and what you might do with a commercial KQ by what you've done so far?

By rights, one can vehemently oppose such a possibility. You see, that's the major and main thing I'm opposed to: Your vision becoming canon. Make all the fangames you want--I don't care.

We have a 60% of one fan game track record. Telltale has an established pattern over quite a few commercial entries. There's no comparison.

• @wilco64256 said: We have a 60% of one fan game track record. Telltale has an established pattern over quite a few commercial entries. There's no comparison.

It's still the quality of potential, future work being judged by the quality of present/past work. The only difference is in the quantity.

Judging by your current work, I'd expect a commercial POS King's Quest to be:

Angst Quest II: More Hidden Deep Revelations and Suicidal Idealations

• @Anakin Skywalker said: It's still the quality of potential, future work being judged by the quality of present/past work. The only difference is in the quantity.

Judging by your current work, I'd expect a commercial POS King's Quest to be:

Angst Quest II: More Hidden Deep Revelations and Suicidal Idealations

Right, and you're welcome to your assumptions and opinions and whatever, but what's baffling to everyone (and here's the kicker, even to people who also can't stand TSL) is how much actual active HATE you spew at us. Well all have things we've disagreed with or disliked in life, but I have never known anybody to put so much effort into trashing something they didn't like as you do to Phoenix Online. Most people would much rather put that energy into something constructive.

• @wilco64256 said: Right, and you're welcome to your assumptions and opinions and whatever, but what's baffling to everyone (and here's the kicker, even to people who also can't stand TSL) is how much actual active HATE you spew at us. Well all have things we've disagreed with or disliked in life, but I have never known anybody to put so much effort into trashing something they didn't like as you do to Phoenix Online. Most people would much rather put that energy into something constructive.

I kind of get a kick out of it at times, if you want to know the truth.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

ok, this is going anywhere, as always.

Note that I agreed with you, Anakin, I agree with you that even if we have a big following TSL is not of everyone's tastes. I agree with you that it's dark and different to KQ (Yet not Twilight). I even agree with you a little that maybe we shouldn't have taken the direction we took, although that's not going to change anything at this stage.

You are the one that doesn't give up to anything. You go as far as saying that people like our game because they are like starving kids for anything KQ related.

So, I'll leave it at that. This will never change I've realized.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

@Anakin Skywalker said: I kind of get a kick out of it at times, if you want to know the truth.

oh, beautiful. Weldon, we are done here. Let's go.

• @Cez said: ok, this is going anywhere, as always.

Note that I agreed with you, Anakin, I agree with you that even if we have a big following TSL is not of everyone's tastes. I agree with you that it's dark and different to KQ (Yet not Twilight). I even agree with you a little that maybe we shouldn't have taken the direction we took, although that's not going to change anything at this stage.

You are the one that doesn't give up to anything. You go as far as saying that people like our game because they are like starving kids for anything KQ related.

So, I'll leave it at that. This will never change I've realized.

I did give up that you have a passion, perhaps even a love for KQ, and I respect that as I respect any other fan of KQ. I will concede that you have the potential to be a very talented writer if you'd be willing to have an editor--Even Lucas had an editor. I've said before your team behind you is also very talented, and I've never attacked anyone behind the scenes--the music people, the artists--because they only deserve plaudits.

Just as there certain points on which you will always hold your ground, however, there points where I will always hold mine. I can respect that we can agree to disagree on a lot.

• I dunno, personally I've seen a lot of this thread as Anakin making concessions and overall not being anywhere near as much of an ass as he was before. But I don't know, maybe that's just me.

• @Rather Dashing said: I dunno, personally I've seen a lot of this thread as Anakin making concessions and overall not being anywhere near as much of an ass as he was before. But I don't know, maybe that's just me.

you are just getting used to it by now.

• I dunno. I think he's trying, and I'm seeing a lot less snarky and sarcastic one-liners. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not entirely sure this is the place to cut off the dialog, since it looks to me like he's making a solid attempt at it.

Add Comment