User Avatar Image

Doodo's Musings

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Why when experiencing life dos the brain function with certain brain waves? How does it select those types of waves, what is the process behind this? I heard it's chemical response? In a healthy brain scan, they know what to look for...these waves light up on a scan like Christmas day.

Could a brain function using different waves for different activities than our average human brain selects? Are these waves truly ideal, for experiences, for reality, for these activities they are tied to? Must it be that way?

Is the brain ultimately a receptor for the layers of reality that it filters? How accurate is it, is it all entirely objective? Is it the only form of experience, reading these layers? Is it true observation, do we make a true, indisputable connection to reality?

Do these waves make a true connection to "reality" are their similar receiving waves outside of our human bodies? What is the universe made up of? Are we connected? Is it a issue of dimension?...??
Do our bodies, minds, brains, make waves that are actually on the same level as the objective plains of reality, existence?

These brain waves, are only from a impartially working, developed brain. The true brain power, the true evolution, creation of brain isn't truly present.Ultimately, we may not be connected to a truer, more comprehensive form of reality.

[quote=YA response]Brain "waves" are a name given to phenomena that are observed when measuring the brain via electroencephalographs and similar technology. The overall rise and fall of electrical potentials in localized areas. Because they're easily observed, they are useful in correlating brain states and brain function. But you shouldn't confuse them with how the brain works.

Similarly, an experienced mechanic could use the sound an engine makes to diagnose how it is operating. But we wouldn't ascribe the sound waves with any sort of utility to the engine. You could say that brain waves are indications of an overall pattern of activity within the brain.

The activity pattern is driven primarily through neural activity. That activity is signalling by discharge of an electrichemical potential in the neurons and by neurotransmitters. The activity at this scale is much faster and more fine-grained than simple chemical responses. But hormones and other chemicals do produce system-wide changes in activity as well.

So I might read your question as "could a brain function using different overall patterns for activities than our average human brain does". My opinion is yes and no.

Yes, it's entirely conceivable that a brain could exist that uses radically different techniques to process and use information that our brains do. In such a sense, the brain waves would be very different.

But at the same time, such a brain is not going to pop into existence in a human. Just like all the engines that Ford puts in cars work just about the same way, all human brains appear to have certain overall processing techniques that are very conservative (even if we don't understand the details of how the processing works).[/quote]

517 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • dude, pass some more o' that weed

• Humans actually go through several stages of brain wave activity from childhood to adulthood. Adulthood is 'optimal' because it allows best perception in a physical world.

Brain waves have nothing to do with hypothetical superstrings outside of the fact that under that theory, brain matter is composed of superstrings as is all matter.

Altering brain wave activity may put you into a coma. The issue of human perception of the surrounding universe goes beyond something as simple as brain waves.

• @DAISHI said:

Altering brain wave activity may put you into a coma. The issue of human perception of the surrounding universe goes beyond something as simple as brain waves.

I'd agree, then why are humans so sure what exists and doesn't exist? Such, as oh, i don't know, spirits.

I agree, and yet we can't separate things from the validating process of existence while existing to decide whether or not things exist outside of our selves. We need first hand experience, we need academic principals. Hell, we need to say what red, blue, green is...

[QUOTE=]consider trying to not create patterns where patterns were not set up by design. stucco wall texture or a field of flowers for example

your brain is wired to view reality according to specific constructs. numbers, patterns, groups and pairs.

tangentially you have a limited scope of sensations. this limits your possible understanding of the objective reality[/QUOTE]

Just another response I got else where.

• Insanity results from unlimited sensory input. Your brain doesn't posses the computational capability of inputting every single sensation.

I think most people believe in spirits or a spirit to varying degree throughout the world.

That said I think it's easy to postulate a distinct dimension of non corporeal, non linear, non terminating entities if we inhabit a universe populated by the opposite.

• @DAISHI said: Insanity results from unlimited sensory input. Your brain doesn't posses the computational capability of inputting every single sensation.

I think most people believe in spirits or a spirit to varying degree throughout the world.

That said I think it's easy to postulate a distinct dimension of non corporeal, non linear, non terminating entities if we inhabit a universe populated by the opposite.

I completely agree with you.

And I think spirits only exist in a varying degree in "this version of reality". So, I agree with what you say.

• I'll have some of whatever he's having!

• @Origami said: I'll have some of whatever he's having!

Oh, quit being so sally...

Harry funny, harry funny...

• I personally believe that it's easy for people to come to the conclusion that spirits exist just because they don't have any other explanations for certain happenings of the world. However, just because you can't conceive any other explanation, does not mean there is a supernatural cause.

Until there is proof that something is caused by supernatural forces (or anything else for that matter), there's no reason to believe it. It's best to just admit that you don't know rather than fill it in with the hope of something magical doing it, I think. The universe is already amazing as is without magic.

• I can't confirm whether spirits exist or not, I can only confirm that 98% of the people that claim to see them are charlatans.

This discussion has been closed.