User Avatar Image

Alright...

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 922 users

I've been defending this game a lot BUT:

I watched a BTTF playthrough (I haven't had much cash so not really able to afford games) and I have to say...If TT takes the BTTF route with KQ, then it will have been a very big mistake.

I'm a fan of interactive movies; I loved Phantasmagoria--but even Phantas didn't explicitly hold you by the hand and tell you exactly what to do and where. From what it seems, BTTF is truly an interactive movie--a movie which tons of cutscenes, no REAL puzzles and very little interaction with the surroundings. I'd take an interactive movie in the Phantas vein with a narrator added--that could be cool, because Phantas was pretty challenging in parts. But not BTTF style? No way!

Also, I hope they don't go for the Pixar/3D cartoon look of BTTF. I'd love an updated VGA sort of look, or even a KQ7 look. But not a 3D Pixar look. It just looks goofy.

I've been supporting this game because I want KQ to come back from the dead, and from a plot perspective, I fear the alternative to TT (TSL). I don't ever want POS going near KQ officially. I'd accept AGDI doing an official KQ game as they get the feel and the puzzles and the atmosphere down pat, but I'm not a big fan of them tying all the games together tightly and having GK style conspiracies just like TSL does.

If AGDI would do a KQ game with the sophistication of KQ2VGA but without the intricate plot and "epic" backstory, I'd 100% support them getting the license....

So, yeah right now it's a "lesser of two evils" situation.....

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I agree, several of these posts from him have been downright reasonable. It looked like mutually agreeable discourse was (and is?) at least a possibility.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

Yeah, in this thread it's cool. I can live and listen to the criticisms. Yes, my stuff can be edited a lot, and yes, if I ever were to work on another IP, I'd probably keep it as true as I could to the originals --especially if it's something commercial. Again, I'm very much enjoying my time with TSL, but I wrote that 10 years ago. It has been a great learning experience and it has made me re-evaluate a lot my goals for Corridor 9.

It's hard to do something about TSL now, but yes, I do see the melodrama in spades now, and I see how it would have been much better if it was less. I'm actually taking the chance to implement a lot of the feedback in Episode 5, which is the one episode that's being written to end the story. The story is not going to change, because we are happy with it, and like Weldon said, it doesn't make any sense now, but, we are listening. We can't give in to everything people want, but we are listening.

• @Cez said: Yeah, in this thread it's cool. I can live and listen to the criticisms. Yes, my stuff can be edited a lot, and yes, if I ever were to work on another IP, I'd probably keep it as true as I could to the originals --especially if it's something commercial. Again, I'm very much enjoying my time with TSL, but I wrote that 10 years ago. It has been a great learning experience and it has made me re-evaluate a lot my goals for Corridor 9.

It's hard to do something about TSL now, but yes, I do see the melodrama in spades now, and I see how it would have been much better if it was less. I'm actually taking the chance to implement a lot of the feedback in Episode 5, which is the one episode that's being written to end the story. The story is not going to change, because we are happy with it, and like Weldon said, it doesn't make any sense now, but, we are listening. We can't give in to everything people want, but we are listening.

Fair enough, and I do wish you luck on C9. I appreciate your efforts and one thing I will say is that TSL led me to re-finding the Sierra internet community I was only 12, so I wasn't a major internet user, but we had had the internet for like 5, 6 years.

A few years earlier, like '98, '99, I had been on sites like Sierra Planet and Xavier's KQ page--But by 2002, 2003, I had forgotten all that, and one day while in a summer camp's computer room i think it was, I had looked up King's Quest--because I had been playing the old games again and had finally gotten a computer which Mask would run properly on, and I wondered, "Whatever happened to King's Quest?", and I did some sort of search--I don't know if twas Google since this was 2003--and found TSL's site, and joined the forum not long after, around the Fall of 2003.
    So TSL did bring me back into the fan community.

• Good on you, Anakin. Un-ignored....for now.

• Haha, Dwight Schrute-ly played, MI :)

• @Anakin Skywalker said: I kind of get a kick out of it at times, if you want to know the truth.

I hope that's not true, because if it is that's really depressing.

• Anakin, dude, there are some hills that just aren't worth dying on. You've really gotta let your hate of TSL go, or it's going to consume you. Seriously - there's better things to put such energy in to.

It's okay; you don't like it. You don't have to. You don't have to play it. There's no reason to go poking at Cez or Weldon all the time. It just comes off as petty, and I know you're better than that.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: Anakin, dude, there are some hills that just aren't worth dying on. You've really gotta let your hate of TSL go, or it's going to consume you. Seriously - there's better things to put such energy in to.

It's okay; you don't like it. You don't have to. You don't have to play it. There's no reason to go poking at Cez or Weldon all the time. It just comes off as petty, and I know you're better than that.

Bt

I don't know about being better than that, given Richard Nixon is one of my biggest heroes :p

• @Anakin Skywalker said: I don't know about being better than that, given Richard Nixon is one of my biggest heroes :p

Well, it's your life. If you want to be a douche, that's your prerogative. I just think it's doing you no good.

Bt

• Its ok to debate as long as you remain respectful... Its ok to disagree... but do NOT resort to name calling and personal attacks... The only time people do it is when they are losing an argument .... something to think about.

Add Comment