User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 38.2K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: Tom Baker to record Big Finish Audios

That's pretty good. I'm guessing that's why theyre stopping Paul mcganns series, (he's still getting some new standalone episodes, but he's on his last full season). It seems odd they're doing a lost stories set with him. That's supposed to be for the deleted 1st/2cnd doctor stories, and the cancelled 6/7th doctor seasons! The only lost Tom baker story I can think of was shada, which big finish already did (albeit as a Paul mcgann story).

• Oh, trust me. A lot of stories get cancelled, and not just due to industrial action (like Shada). Writers not producing poor scripts, producers making last minute changes... stories being rewritten by other writers... there's plenty of 'lost' stories out there.

For example... [Pulls out his Televison Guide] ...The Ark in Space was originally written by John Lucarotti, but as it was felt to be unsuited to the then-current style of the show Robert Holmes rewrote a huge amount of it, so much so that the serial is credited to him, not Lucarotti.

Another one is Revenge of the Cybermen, which was originally written by Gerry Davis as Return of the Cybermen. However, Robert Holmes again rewrote it, most notable adding in the Vogans, resulting in a different story.

The story originally commissioned for the spot that would be replaced with Pyramids of Mars was written by Lewis Griefer and involved alien seeds hidden in the British Museum with mummies chasing around the exhibits, before Robert Holmes completely rewrote it.

...I could go on. Plenty of opportunity for Lost Stories, as you see...

• Yeah, he's going to have Series 4 of the Lost Stories possibly to himself. Series 3 will be 5/6/7 with 3 each starting in October. Speaking of, The Season 27 Lost Stories start next month with Ace's goodbye story! Hooray for important things happening to Televised Companions!

• I guess you learn something new every day!

Also, I never liked Ace. Which is probably the main reason I haven't picked up many Sylvester McCoy serials (two, one being part of a box set)

• @Friar said: I guess you learn something new every day!

Also, I never liked Ace. Which is probably the main reason I haven't picked up many Sylvester McCoy serials (two, one being part of a box set)

I can't stand a few companions, most coming from the Nathan-Turner era, and a few coming from Russel himself, and rhymes with 'shmany one of the companions from the specials who are never heard from or mentioned again'. However, Ace is the Seventh Doctor companion I liked. Despite how much I like Colin Baker, I can't stand either Peri or Mel, which were his only two companions in the televised run, not counting Jamie from the Two Doctors. Plus, Ace is part of the whole 'There are worlds out there where the stars are burning...' speech, which is a plus.

• The good news is that, much like the Doctors themselves (I'm looking at you, Colin), the companions are much better in the audios then they were in the actual series. Mel in particular is far superior, mostly due to the actress growing up and actually learning how to act.

• Michael Gough, who played alfred in four batman films, and also the celestial toymaker has died!
    250px-Celestial_Toymaker.jpg
    :(

• @Friar said: Michael Gough, who played alfred in four batman films, and also the celestial toymaker has died!
    250px-Celestial_Toymaker.jpg
    :(

Nooooo! Not the Celestial Toymaker!

That was easily my favorite First Doctor adventure and I was watching the reconstructed version.

• @Alcoremortis said: Nooooo! Not the Celestial Toymaker!

That was easily my favorite First Doctor adventure and I was watching the reconstructed version.

I've haven't seen the episode myself yet (i'm a sucker for boxsets, so I refuse to buy standalone DVDs until I complete the boxsets.), so to me, he'll always be alfred.
    6810-1296.gif

Add Comment