User Avatar Image

Leisure Suit Larry

posted by MusicallyInspired on - last edited - Viewed by 953 users

@tbm1986 said: They even tested the water with Leisure Suit Larry, which they must have picked up on by seeing posts by me and one or two others that lurk on the forums. I don't think we'll ever see a LSL game made by TTG (1) because the demand is too low and 2) getting Sierra to lease out any IPs must take some doing) but that doesn't stop me hoping I'm wrong.

1- Sierra doesn't exist anymore, the IPs of the defunct company and retired brand are now owned by ActiVision
2- ActiVision doesn't own the IP for Leisure Suit Larry anymore. They sold it to CodeMasters.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: 1- Sierra doesn't exist anymore, the IPs of the defunct company and retired brand are now owned by ActiVision
    2- ActiVision doesn't own the IP for Leisure Suit Larry anymore. They sold it to CodeMasters.

Whoa! I had no idea. Thanks for filling me in. I seriously doubt either of those companies would be willing to fly the Adventure flag. Maybe it's up to TTG and the like to persuade them to lease (or, even better, sell outright) the Adventure game IPs.

• Well, ActiVision allowed TSL to be released, QFG2VGA and KQ3Redux to be released, and now Telltale are doing King's Quest officially. I think ActiVision is allowing it to thrive a little.

• Activision wasn't doing anything with the IP anyway, they're probably happy to have someone pay something to use it.

• Allright, who wants to form a company to do something with the Larry property? :D
    I'd totally be into it!

• @tbm1986 said: They even tested the water with Leisure Suit Larry, which they must have picked up on by seeing posts by me and one or two others that lurk on the forums. I don't think we'll ever see a LSL game made by TTG (1) because the demand is too low and 2) getting Sierra to lease out any IPs must take some doing) but that doesn't stop me hoping I'm wrong.

The demand for LSL would probably be greater than for any non-movie/TV licensed product Telltale has made. It is without question a bigger name than Monkey Island and Sam & Max. There is a big difference between the properties that are popular around here and on hardcore gaming sites, and that which the general public/casual gamer is aware of.

• Yeah, I've known people who aren't even gamers that know who Leisure Suit Larry is.

• I would only be into another Larry title if it was classy, and not just sleazy mini games. Just hearing an announcement about a LSL game would not be enough to make me interested.

• Codemasters isn't even doing anything with Larry since Box office bust was a complete bust(meaning failure). Also I would only buy a Leisure Suit Larry game from Telltale if it had these things.

1. 2D animation similar to Love for sail.
    2. Finish the proposed sequel for love for sail(as a full game not episodic)
    3. Classy title(as Zounds mentioned) filled with adventure game goodness.
    4. After finishing love for sail's proposed sequel, make an episodic series that takes place after that.
    5. Here's an important one, GET AL LOWE.

• Al Lowe told me in an email that he is happily retired and plans to remain so. But the really Awesome thing about Al is that he seems to ALWAYS reply to emails... if TTG contacted him I am pretty sure he would give them his thoughts.

As for 2D im not opposed to this... but I actually thought visually MCL was pretty good and fit into the world nicely.

• People need to get over 2D. If Al Lowe and Sierra were in-tact and making LSL games today they would be in 3D.

Add Comment