User Avatar Image

Traditional animation vs. 3D animation...

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

I am not that big of King's quest, but I have seen bits of pieces of the games. The only game of King's quest that I remember playing was the 7th one, and that one was the Princeless Bride. I'm not that big into the animation of that one(Since I dislike it when people mimic the Disney style) but my sister likes it and it reminds her of Don Bluth's style. I know the game is likely to be done in 3D but will there be certain parts of the game that will use 2D? Or even better, used for the cutscenes of the game? It would be sweet if that would happen.

164 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Giant Tope said: But it's still done in 3D. Everything but the characters and user interface are in 3D. Not to say that the Telltale Tool is incapable of doing Puzzle Agent using only illustrations (on a 3D axis). The difference is that whereas Puzzle Agent is generally fixed camera, I can't imagine King's Quest, with the cinematic notion that Telltale has taken to, staying fixed all the time. That would complicate things for the 2D backgrounds.

If I was mistaken about the game being 3D I apologize, but my intention was to point out that the game appears to be more hand drawn than 3D CGI. There aren't lots of 3D camera angles, there isn't a lot of wide open environments with CG animations... The game looks like it was drawn by hand where the other games look like they were sculpted on a computer.

• I'd be thrilled if it looked like The Whispered World.

• @G.byrne said: If I was mistaken about the game being 3D I apologize, but my intention was to point out that the game appears to be more hand drawn than 3D CGI.

I got that your real question was more about the look, rather than the technology behind it. So, no, you're not the only one -- I would like KQ to have more of a hand-drawn look. But it's not a huge issue for me, not nearly as important as getting the gameplay right.

• I don't really care as long as it looks nice. I'd much rather see good 2D than bad 3D.

• I have downloaded and played both Monkey Island and BTTF games from TT, both I ended up stopping half way through the first episode because the 3D engine is simply not suitable for adventure games. Adventure games are best designed with a 2D background and preferably a 2D character animation.

I just pretended Monkey Island Tales weren't part of the real franchise and left it alone, just like I did with Monkey Island 4 for mostly the same reason. Then you came out with BTTF, I was excited to hear the news, but that 3D engine kept nagging at the back of my head, I played BTTF and I was right, it's frustrating as hell.

Now TT, you are stepping into fierce territory, you can't just pick up Kings Quest and make it the way you think it's best to. You will be up against the most hardcore of adventure game fans of all time. Kings Quest is meant to be in 2D, it's best in 2D and not only that but you should consider a hard-option by where players have to type in everything, these two should save your arse, if you use your silly 3D engine to make this game, I will have lost any hope for TT. It IS important, it sets the mood, the scene, the users connection with the game. Your puzzles are OK, your stories are fairly good but your engine doesn't work.

I'm not the biggest Kings Quest fan out there, but I am one of the biggest Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry fans out there and I fear if you take Kings Quest down the path of BTTF or MI Tales, then I'll be pissed if you ever take on the likes of LSL and Space Quest. Please do it right.

• Lol. No way they're ever going to work in 2D, dude. Ever.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Lol. No way they're ever going to work in 2D, dude. Ever.

If we don't speak out, then there's no hope for change. I don't think they are even aware how bad their engine is compared to a simple 2D adventure game.

• Pretty much all video game genres have had to move into 3D to survive, some were more successful at this than others. It was called the '90s. I see no reason why an adventure games aren't suitable for 3D.

Grim Fandango is one of the greatest adventure games of all time and it was 3D with pre-rendered backgrounds. I'd like to hear some of your reasons why you believe 'Adventure games are best designed with a flat 2D background.' I can't think of single thing a 2D adventure game can do that a 3D one can't.

• @Woodsyblue said: Pretty much all video game genres have had to move into 3D to survive, some were more successful at this than others. It was called the '90s. I see no reason why an adventure games aren't suitable for 3D.

Grim Fandango is one of the greatest adventure games of all time and it was 3D with pre-rendered backgrounds. I'd like to hear some of your reasons why you believe 'Adventure games are best designed with a flat 2D background.' I can't think of single thing a 2D adventure game can do that a 3D one can't.

Grim Fandango, as you said, has pre-rendered 2D Backgrounds, it never got frustrating. Same goes for The Longest Journey. It's ok if its pre-rendered.

Maybe others here can help me, but off the top of my head:

1. A LOT of detail can be put into the scenes.
    2. Detail adds to the gameplay value, there's a sense of adventure and exploration.
    3. It looks better.
    4. It's easier to navigate when you can see where everything is at once and know where all your exits are, I found in TT games, it wasn't always clear where the other rooms are or where exactly you are standing in a particular room (the Doc's house in BTTF comes to mind).
    5. Moving the character around in 3D space can get very frustrating, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for those who are not experienced with moving in 3D, it would totally alienate them.

• Let's compare some scenes:

Flat World:
    600full-the-longest-journey-screenshot.j

3D World:
    4491019549_bdd516c3f0.jpg

Flat World:
    1285533265480.jpeg

3D World:
    wanted-a-wild-western-adventure-20040921
    Can you see where all the exits are in this screen?

Add Comment