User Avatar Image

Traditional animation vs. 3D animation...

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 4.4K users

I am not that big of King's quest, but I have seen bits of pieces of the games. The only game of King's quest that I remember playing was the 7th one, and that one was the Princeless Bride. I'm not that big into the animation of that one(Since I dislike it when people mimic the Disney style) but my sister likes it and it reminds her of Don Bluth's style. I know the game is likely to be done in 3D but will there be certain parts of the game that will use 2D? Or even better, used for the cutscenes of the game? It would be sweet if that would happen.

164 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Modern realtime 3D can be just as detailed, or even more so, than old pre-rendered graphics. It's just the qustion of the style and what the engine used can do. The comparision shots you've chosen aren't really fair, as the art style in them is very different. The pre-rendered ones try to approach realism, in where the realtime ones are more cartoony.

• You need to convince me with some evidence tomimt. I know adventure games well, I like to make adventure games and as an artist focus on background and character art as well as the overall design. If there are adventure games out there that play in real-time 3D world with more detail than a 2D game, I'd REALLY like to see it, not because I think it would be better (because you still have to contend with the navigation problems).

• The Longest Journey is every bit as 3D as Escape from Monkey Island. What were you thinking?

• @Radogol said: The Longest Journey is every bit as 3D as Escape from Monkey Island. What were you thinking?

Yeah, that was a really bad comparison. I was just thinking the same thing. They both use 3D characters on 2D backgrounds.

It seems to me what you dislike more than 3D vs. 2D is a cartoon aesthetic vs. a realistic one. The only difference in "detail" in the examples you've shown has to do with the art direction, not the engine.

Granted, I'd love to see a KQ game with hand-painted 2D backgrounds in 1080p. That would be a dream come true. But no one will ever do it, unfortunately. It just doesn't fit the current model for what a video game is supposed to be.

• The Longest Journey's background are pre-rendered, not real-time. There is a huge difference in the way the viewing angle is presented, the navigation controls of the main character and you can touch up still images in photoshop.

I don't care if it's cartooned (although I prefer it not to be), but you've missed the point if you think that's why I dislike 3D.

• @icedan said: The Longest Journey's background are pre-rendered, not real-time.

So are Escape's.

@icedan said: There is a huge difference in the way the viewing angle is presented, the navigation controls of the main character.

All right, but that's a design choice, not something that results from using real-time graphics over pre-baked ones.

• @Radogol said: So are Escape's.

Are you serious? *mind blown*.

• This brings back memories as I had the discussion if 3D is suitable for adventure games back in the 90s. And I actually preferred 3D compared to FMV (which was hot back then), because for example in GK3 it gave much greater feeling of exploring and direct control than FMV of GK2.

It's true that 3D of 90's hasn't aged particularly well, although it looked nice back then. However many more recent adventures which use 3D graphics don't look that badly aged, I still think that, for example, Syberia II (2004) has pretty graphics.

Besides these days most adventure games are either 3D or use 3D graphics which are disguised to look like 2D and real 2D is rarity. So I don't see why KQ should use real 2D.

Also I would find it suitable that new game would use similar style as first four KQ games, which were advertised as 3D games, although this time with real 3D graphics.

• Being popular doesn't make it right. I've dealt with both 3D and 2D engines for different genres, in the beginning I was fighting for 3D because back in the 90's it seemed like the next thing. But I have come to the strong conclusion that in some cases, 2D is just better. 3D is good if you want to move around the world quickly. It's not good if you are going from one scene to another that contains many puzzles using many objects lying around.

btw, 3D graphics these days are still as terrible as they have been for a long time. I have a strong feeling most graphic designers do not want to use 3D to make their games because they know it downgrades the overall quality, in other words, it has no feeling, no character, art requires finer touches than modeled shapes and rendered textures.

• @icedan said: Being popular doesn't make it right. I've dealt with both 3D and 2D engines for different genres, in the beginning I was fighting for 3D because back in the 90's it seemed like the next thing. But I have come to the strong conclusion that in some cases, 2D is just better. 3D is good if you want to move around the world quickly. It's not good if you are going from one scene to another that contains many puzzles using many objects lying around.

btw, 3D graphics these days are still as terrible as they have been for a long time. I have a strong feeling most graphic designers do not want to use 3D to make their games because they know it downgrades the overall quality, in other words, it has no feeling, no character, art requires finer touches than modeled shapes and rendered textures.

Modern 3D looks fine to me and IMO works well in the adventure games. I think that if you're trying to create illusion of three dimensional space (which most adventures try to do, no matter if those games are 2D or 3D games) you might as well use real 3D environment. Only problems which come to my mind are that sometimes when game uses 3D characters and 2D backgrounds those characters don't quite fit, but luckily there are plenty of games which have solved that problem. And sometimes games with full 3D graphics are rather heavy and need lot of resources.

Add Comment