User Avatar Image

Welcome to the Fables Forums

posted by Alan Johnson on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Hey everyone! Welcome to the Fables forums!

Enjoy yourselves, but don't let The Adversary get you!

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just wanted to say that I'm THRILLED about this. Fables is one of my favorite series of all time. Seems like Telltale can't stop picking up properties I love. Let's just hope the difficulty is there in the puzzle aspect of the game.

• Stupid question, I know, but is this going to be a point-and-click adventure?

• I was briefly into graphic novels from around 1999 to 2003 and Fables was one of the last ones I read. I am pretty sure I read the first two books and liked both very much. Looking forward to seeing what kind of game this is!

I do hope it is kind of its own thing though, I don't want to need to read the books to get it.

• Please, please let this be an adult-oriented series, unlike the watered down Sam 'n Max (the original still the best).

• @manicm said: Please, please let this be an adult-oriented series, unlike the watered down Sam 'n Max (the original still the best).

Sam and Max have never been to the point people seem to think they were. Sam and Max cursing and using extreme extreme violence just seems out of character now.

• User Avatar Image
    Lex

@KuroShiro said: I guess this means the episodes are going to be set somewhere in the first half of the series (thusfar) then. :P

Maybe, or maybe it'll be sometime before the issue #1. Telltale games seem to be original stories taking place in an established fictional universe. So right now I doubt these Fables games will be retellings of stories we've already seen.

• Bringing up the "rape" as a storytelling device thing again, I really disagree that DC/Vertigo uses it more than it should in their stories. It's not like it doesn't happen in the real world. I think bringing it up in stories that are aimed at adults shouldn't be too shocking, as long as it is not treated in a way that's particularly exploitative. The two specifically implied examples in Fables actually added a lot to the backstory of the major characters.

I can't wait for this by the way. I've just been catching up on Fables lately (I was a few trades behind), and this is easily one of my all time favorite comics. This world seems like such a perfect fit for Telltale. Kudos, and know that I'll be preordering this :)

• @Calbeb said: Bringing up the "rape" as a storytelling device thing again, I really disagree that DC/Vertigo uses it more than it should in their stories. It's not like it doesn't happen in the real world. I think bringing it up in stories that are aimed at adults shouldn't be too shocking, as long as it is not treated in a way that's particularly exploitative. The two specifically implied examples in Fables actually added a lot to the backstory of the major characters.

As I said before, it's not about the use of rape per se, it's about the execution. Even admitting it added up to his backstory in a way that no other tragedy could, it was still poorly executed.
    Also, DC definitely overdid with the rape thing, especially in "cape comics". A lot of their most notable female characters have been raped.

• User Avatar Image
    ttg_Stemmle Telltale Staff

Jeepers, where'd all this rape come from? That hardly seems like the sort of thing one expects in a "welcome" thread.

Anyhoo, hi-ho, Telltale-a-rinos. For those who don't know me, I'm Mike Stemmle, one of the writers/designers/people to inevitably blame for disappointing you horribly on Fables.

Now that we're amping up towards production (even as I type this I'm writing dialog on my other monitor and having a heated discussion with John Drake about the look of a certain character's sanctum sanctorum*), I'll be dropping by a little more often to spread news, answer questions, and generally tease the living bejebus out of Fables.

So, in that spirit, does anyone wanna hit me with some initial questions?

I'll answer one right off the bat - Unless our story changes significantly over the next few months, I don't think there's gonna be any rape.

Mike "No Rape - That's the Telltale Promise" Stemmle

* I almost typed "Sanctum Santorum," which would've been an entirely different scene altogether.

• Hi Mike,

My main question is: how much of the comic should we read before the game comes out?

I'm a late starter (having only started reading the comic since the game's announcement) and so I've been getting the Deluxe editions that have been released - 3 volumes = 25ish issues so far. So I'm /way/ behind, obviously... so realistically, in order to avoid too many comic spoilers from playing the game, where should I read up to?

Thanks!

Add Comment