User Avatar Image

PAX Preview and Interview with Nick Herman

posted by PartWelsh on - last edited - Viewed by 881 users

dynpicwatermarkimageviei.jpgGamingLives.com just posted their Jurassic Park Preview and Interview with Cinematic Artist, Nick Herman, recorded at PAX East these past few days.

Really cool of him to take the time to talk to the site so a mega thanks to Nick <3

Read the Preview and watch the Interview here:

http://gliv.es/gO5reX

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @jmine83 said: I'm sure TT will have to make up some flakey, sloppy explanation if the Troodon is staying in. It's pushing the guidelines of the franchise into stories that would be as ridiculous as saying, InGen was secretly making inteliigent dinosaur soldiers for the US Army, or InGen was secretly producing human-dinosaur-alien hybrids or something that's "way" out there and laughable. As for Dr. Harding, he's more likely not aware of what caused Nima's injury because I doubt he's experienced with identifying dinosaur wounds on a human being to a "specific" species of dinosaur unless each dinosaur species in a population is very different from each other. Going back to the 15 species list, a number of those dinosaurs are theropods, and some are about the same size as each other or could be depending on age.

As for the possibility of dinosaurs "sneaking" onto the transport boats from Sorna and "sneaking" off the boats in Nublar, that's extremely hard to believe. You've got tons of barriers and eyewitnesses that make such an attempt by a mere "animal" virtually impossible.

Possible, but does not seem likely. It defeats the purpose of why Site B exists. Isla Sorna is considerably larger than Nublar and again is the "production" island. It's not cost-effective to casually transport over new dinosaur species "unless" their was to be a projected profit in the very near future to do so. The fifteen species implies a fixed, set opening lineup for the first phase of the park that would open "one year" from the time the events in JP took place. To put a dinosaur species on Nublar that would not premiere for much longer than year, seems to me like a waste of value time and money. Product, i.e. the dinosaurs, has to be able to pay for itself within a reasonable timeframe.

What if you think the other way round. No "sneaking" Troodons on a transport ship to Nublar and no "missmatching with Nublar's dinosaur list" BUT:

They cloned Troodons as every other species on Isla Sorna.
    After hatching and observing the first time in the labs on Sorna they set all the dinosaurs free on the island to see how they are developing. They watch them growing and those which seem to fit to Jurassic Park for merchandise reasons and (more or less) save and adaequate animal housing were then transported to Isla Nublar.
    Some were put in paddocks along the tour with the electrified explorers, some maybe should be seen at the jungle-river ride.
    Eventually they had a big raptor paddock but due to the "big one" which killed all but two other raptors and started to test the fence for flaws the park staff was forced to put the 3 remaining raptors into the special raptor pen. This transportation is the opening scene of the first movie.
    What IF that weren't the only problems they were faced? What if other species made problems too? What if the Troodons turned out to be too dangerous to be held in a zoo-like environment? A fact that only occurred on Isla Nublar but not on Isla Sorna because this island had other conditions. Plus due to the fact that they were only hunting at night and primary hiding and sleeping during the day it was for merchandise reasons as well a rather bad performing animal which just cost too much to maintain and secure.
    Finally they decided to put the Troodons back on Sorna unless further scientific progress, optimizing the DNA (version 4.4... etc.) would bring a better result. This decision was taken rather late but early enough that the official dinosaur list of Isla Nublar could be updated to finally 15 remaining species which will be the main attraction after the opening of the park for the first time.
    Meanwhile the fact of expensively produced dinosaurs which didn't perform well in the park and the incident with the worker during the raptor transportation worried the investors which was the reason why Hammond was seeking for expert opinions to recommend the park and led to the happenings of JP I. But as work wasn't surely done on Isla Nublar the transportation of the Troodons back to Isla Sorna wasn't either.

So the Troodons weren't hiding on a transportation ship which was coming from Sorna BUT it was the other way round: THEY WERE MEAN'T TO BE BROUGHT BACK. The power failure then led to a terrible disaster at the harbour were the Troodons got free and escaped into the jungle.

• @tope1983 said: What if you think the other way round. No "sneaking" Troodons on a transport ship to Nublar and no "missmatching with Nublar's dinosaur list" BUT:

After hatching and observing the first time in the labs on Sorna they set all the dinosaurs free on the island to see how they are developing. They watch them growing and those which seem to fit to Jurassic Park for merchandise reasons and (more or less) save and adaequate animal housing were then transported to Isla Nublar.
    Some were put in paddocks along the tour with the electrified explorers, some maybe should be seen at the jungle-river ride.
    Eventually they had a big raptor paddock but due to the "beast" which killed all but two other raptors and started to test the fence for flaws the park staff had put the 3 remaining raptors into the special raptor pen. This transportation is the opening scene of the first movie.
    What IF that weren't the only problems they were faced? What if other species made problems too? What if the Troodons turned out to be too dangerous to be held in a zoo-like environment? A fact that only occurred on Isla Nublar but not on Isla Sorna because this island had other conditions. Plus due to the fact that they were only hunting at night and primary hiding and sleeping during the day it was for merchandise reasons as well a rather bad performing animal which just cost too much to maintain and secure.
    Finally they decided to put the Troodons back on Sorna unless further scientific progress, optimizing the DNA (version 4.4... etc.) would bring a better result. This decision was taken rather late but early enough that the official dinosaur list of Isla Nublar could be updated to finally 15 remaining species which will be the main attraction after the opening of the park for the first time.
    Meanwhile the fact of expensively produced dinosaurs which didn't perform well in the park and the incident with the worker during the raptor transportation worried the investors which was the reason why Hammond was seeking for expert opinions to recommend the park and led to the happenings of JP I. But as work wasn't surely done on Isla Nublar the transportation of the Troodons back to Isla Sorna wasn't either.

So the Troodons weren't hiding on a transportation ship which was coming from Sorna BUT it was the other way round: THEY WERE MEAN'T TO BE BROUGHT BACK. The power failure then led to a terrible disaster at the harbour were the Troodons got free and escaped into the jungle.

I like your explanation. Pretty good idea, and a bit creepy. ;)

• Oh man, after reading the posts in this thread i checked out the troodons wikipedia page to see what they were, i remember years ago as a kid watching stuff on tv about dinosaurs and i remember seeing that dinosaur/human thing that that one guy thinks they might have evolved into, that thing seriously creeped me out and gave me nightmares >> im older now but the kid in me is freaking out over the memories :P

and now the ancient ancestors of that creepy thing are free on the island? >> "they should all be destroyed!" new threat is definately threatening enough to me :P

• If you pay attention you can hear some of the music Jared composed for the in-game action. It sounds very very very Williams-esque and I love it!

Can't wait to hear it in a complete form! :D

• Want more info on consoles, but it's heartening to to hear that they'll eventually make it!

• @tope1983 said: What if you think the other way round. No "sneaking" Troodons on a transport ship to Nublar and no "missmatching with Nublar's dinosaur list" BUT:

Eventually they had a big raptor paddock but due to the "big one" which killed all but two other raptors and started to test the fence for flaws the park staff was forced to put the 3 remaining raptors into the special raptor pen. This transportation is the opening scene of the first movie.

Good theory...dinosaurs that were too "dangerous" or resistant to integration into a Park setting has seemed like a good way to introduce new species bred by InGen for a while, so I'd be happy to see this if Telltale used it in their approach...

BTW, since the Troodons are said to be poisonous, I think it's a safe bet that's what bit Nima and lead to her condition in the demo, (although Harding doesn't know this and stipulates it from plants that the animals are eating)...

• @waroftheworlds01 said: That we know of. There were 15 species that were part of the "tour". Who's to say that there wasn't an extra padlock on the island that wasn't part of the main tour which held other animals they were looking after but had not added to the main tour yet.

Exactly.

I understand the point being brought, but I consider this:

InGen is practically cloning blind when they start the Jurassic Park project, they really dont know what species they are making until they hatch and slowly the surviving hatchlings grow and are able to be identified. SO they must've had dozens of species cloned. Amongst them the Spinos, Ceratosaurus, Troodons, etc. All this on Site B. Those 15 are the final species that InGen decides to keep open the park with, but who's to say that initially they didn't have different lists?? Who's to say they didn't test different species on the park environment to see how they fared? I dont think transportation is an issue for a company as well funded as InGen (at that time) if it means better understanding of dino performance as an attraction. To them the ends justify the means, and as Hammond would say, "We spared no expense". And if they could keep a huge "behind the scenes" project like site B a secret to tons of InGen employees, they certainly could test those secret species in Isla Nublar before deciding the final 15. That's even if cloning different species was such a huge secret to people outside InGen scientists...

You know what I find even more perplexing than that? How InGen could keep JP silent so many years, when so many people were working on it. I guess they simply spared no expense and were filthy rich to do whatever they wanted...

• @Bombillazo said: Exactly.

You know what I find even more perplexing than that? How InGen could keep JP silent so many years, when so many people were working on it. I guess they simply spared no expense and were filthy rich to do whatever they wanted...

Either that or if you tried talking about it Ingens hired goons fed you to the raptors or the rex nomnomnomnomnom

• @NickTTG said: My only concern with that interview is how many times I said "UMMMM".

Jeff Goldblum is somehow involved I KNOW IT !!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zEjWK4EUiE

• @NickTTG said: My only concern with that interview is how many times I said "UMMMM".

Don't worry, you said "like", like, a lot more! :p

Anyhoo, seeing as the Troodon is shaped like and the same general size as one species we already have, (Velicoraptor), and has the attributes of another, (it's poisonous like the Dilophosaurus), I'm interested in how this will turn out to be a "new" character...

Add Comment