User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Song(s) You Heard

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 4.4K users

I don't know how far this topic'll go, but it could be interesting. I guess it depends how often you guys listen to music; I do it every day!

I'll start. You can post links too if you want. I mostly only ever listen to songs I like, so this list might end up being rather silly. :D

Under the Boardwalk - Bruce Willis and the Temptations - 11/11

Joy to the World - Three Dog Night - 11/11

La Bamba - Ritchie Valens - 11/11

Devil Woman - Bruce Willis - 9/11

Sinner's Prayer - Bruce Willis, BB King, and Billy Preston - 10/11

Everybody Jam! - Scatman John - 11/11

Snow Road - Yuka Tsujiyoko - 9/11

Friday - Rebecca Black - 0/11 Because it's the cool thing to say.

285 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hayden said: Iron Maiden - "Invaders" - 6.5/10
    If I wanted to turn somebody off from Maiden, I'd show them this song.

I'd pick anything from X-Factor for that purpose, it's probably the most depressing album I own, and I own Automatic For the People.

Also, for my money, Gangland's a worse song

INVADDERRS, DOO-A-DO-DO-DOO!!

• @JedExodus said: I'd pick anything from X-Factor for that purpose, it's probably the most depressing album I own, and I own Automatic For the People.

I actually liked 'X Factor'; I think it's a pretty good album that's unjustly ripped on. But I do think that a lot of the songs on there could have been a whole lot more if the guys had just spent a bit more time cultivating them. It's like, with each of the songs, they wrote some good material, but didn't bother to put in the time or effort to improve them or make them into something great.

Also, for my money, Gangland's a worse song

Yeah, that song's not great either. "Gangland"'s another of the uninspired, boring songs that occupy the majority of the 'Number of the Beast' album - undoubtedly their most overrated album, if not one of the most overrated albums in metal. However, "Gangland" doesn't quite get up my nose as much as "Invaders" does. The only true moment of brilliance on the album is "Hallowed...", and "Children..." on a good day. But overall, pretty much every other song on the album is quite mediocre.

INVADDERRS, DOO-A-DO-DO-DOO!!

...thanks.

• @Hayden said: I actually liked 'X Factor'; I think it's a pretty good album that's unjustly ripped on. But I do think that a lot of the songs on there could have been a whole lot more if the guys had just spent a bit more time cultivating them. It's like, with each of the songs, they wrote some good material, but didn't bother to put in the time or effort to improve them or make them into something great.

This is very ture, when you watch Dickinson do a Blaze song like Sign of the Cross or The Clansman it's like listening to a whole other, far far better song

@Hayden said: ...thanks.

Don't even try be dry about it. You loved it you bitch

• @Hayden said: If I wanted to turn somebody off from Maiden, I'd show them this song.

I say that would be Mother of Mercy on The Final Frontier. I personally like the song but when I showed the lyrics to my friend, he was all "Breath of fire? Do they still use that? LOL I'll pass".

• @Falanca said: I say that would be Mother of Mercy on The Final Frontier. I personally like the song but when I showed the lyrics to my friend, he was all "Breath of fire? Do they still use that? LOL I'll pass".

Pretty much all of No Prayer For the Dying would do the trick

• Another WTF song:

Recoil - Luscious Apparatus

Anyway, real ratings time!

Aphrodite's Child - End of the World. 8/10.
    FUN FACT - The keyboardist went on to score the music for Blade Runner.

The Red Army Choir - My Army 10/10.
    I adore this song and I adore the Soviet Red Army Choir.

Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows 9/10.

• @Comrade Pants said:
    Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows 9/10.

Fookin good song Pantsy! Maybe I should direct my attention Mr Cohen's way, bar Hallelujah obvs

• @JedExodus said: Fookin good song Pantsy! Maybe I should direct my attention Mr Cohen's way, bar Hallelujah obvs

DO EET. Look up Waiting for The Miracle to Come and Democracy. He's got some other great songs, but I can't be arsed at the moment.

• F*ck You by Cee Lo Green Maybe it's for the project I was working on, or because the melody and lyrics are so catchy, either way, I dig this song a lot. 9/10

• @Comrade Pants said: Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows 9/10.

Ha, this song was actually used for an anti-smoking ad here in Australia. A really graphic smoking ad, might I add. Yep, that's just how we roll down here in Oz.

@Comrade Pants said: Don't even try be dry about it. You loved it you bitch

:D Okay, fine, I will admit that you did get a mild laugh smirk out of me.
    Anyway, the pronunciation was wrong, it's more: InnVAderrs. See the difference?

@Comrade Pants said: I say that would be Mother of Mercy on The Final Frontier. I personally like the song but when I showed the lyrics to my friend, he was all "Breath of fire? Do they still use that? LOL I'll pass".

No, the lyrics weren't exactly great on that track: rhyming a word with itself ('done' with 'done'), rhyming 'fire' with 'desire' (my most hated metal cliche), including the line "Rivers flow with blood", rhyming 'crying' with 'dying', and the one you mentioned. It's guilty of a lot of lyrical cliches and failures.

The rest of the songs from the album have pretty decent lyrics, though, like those in "Coming Home".

Add Comment