User Avatar Image

Feathers?

posted by thesporkman on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

So... It's pretty much the consensus of the modern paleontological community that theropod dinosaurs like Velociraptor and possibly even Tyrannosaurus had feathers. Should Telltale incorporate the most up-to-date paleontological knowledge in their design of dinosaurs for the game, or should they stick to the more reptilian design aesthetic precedented by the movies? Of course, the idea that modern birds evolved from dinosaurs is a pretty big theme in the movies, particularly the first one. Perhaps it would actually be truer to the spirit of the movies to change the design and give the raptors bird-like feathers?

Which would you prefer:

reptilian, like in the movies?
velociraptor.jpg

or more bird-like, as modern science suggests?
velociraptorAB.jpg

100 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah I watched a Docu on de-evolving a modern bird embryo but all you have is guess work.. the DNA of a bird is way to complex to even begin guessing what genes to turn "off" and "on" What you would have in the end is an altered bird and not a true dinosaur... But it is interesting... they can make a chicken with teeth ... because it is indeed carried in their DNA...

• @Irishmile said: Yeah I watched a Docu on de-evolving a modern bird embryo but all you have is guess work.. the DNA of a bird is way to complex to even begin guessing what genes to turn "off" and "on" What you would have in the end is an altered bird and not a true dinosaur... But it is interesting... they can make a chicken with teeth ... because it is indeed carried in their DNA...

Wow! Do you remember the name of that documentary? Sounds very interesting.

• I watch so many documentaries I lose track... but I am 70% sure it was called Dinosaurs Return to Life.

Jack Horner.. was on it... and he was saying its TOTALLY possible to do it... but he has a thing for making kind of wild claims... Im not saying he is wrong... But.... you know.

• @Irishmile said:
    Jack Horner.. was on it... and he was saying its TOTALLY possible to do it... but he has a thing for making kind of wild claims... Im not saying he is wrong... But.... you know.

Good ol' Jack...I wonder he's ever said anything that wasn't absurd?

• @CartoonistWill said: You also forget that Velociraptors in reality are not that tall (more like 3-4 feet, or so I've read in some places) and their killing claw is not on the interior of the foot but on the middle toe, as taught by Alan Grant in the beginning of JP1 before we see that the raptor models used in the movies have the claw in the wrong; a decision I don't disagree with as it looks better, although it is scientifically incorrect. I also say no feathers. :-) But of course TellTale already made the decision concerning that as such.

Velociraptor mongoliensis is about the size of a house cat. That said, the "raptors" from the movie more closely resemble Deinonychus antirrhopus in size and general build.

And the movie got the claw right. Most therapod dinosaurs have four toes on their hind legs. One of them is almost vestigial and serves no purpose. The Velociraptor's claw is shown on what would be the third toe, going inwards. Same with Deinonychus, Utahraptor, and other claw-toed dromeosaurids.

• @Icedhope said: Yes, but if anything jurassic park taught us well...were all fans of the movie so we should know. I hate to say it but a dinosaur wouldn't survive todays conditions, the atmosphere the gravity change, the poor thing wouldn't last long or at all.

I promise you, when a scientist that is determined to succeed comes along to do it, they will. You guys are saying that a DINOSAUR will not be able to survive, but unless you have a time travelling DeLorean you will never be able to have a real dinosaur. What scientists will do is continue to change the DNA sequence until it can survive and until it looks like a true dinosaur.

• @RexMaster said: I promise you, when a scientist that is determined to succeed comes along to do it, they will. You guys are saying that a DINOSAUR will not be able to survive, but unless you have a time travelling DeLorean you will never be able to have a real dinosaur. What scientists will do is continue to change the DNA sequence until it can survive and until it looks like a true dinosaur.

And how is genetically engineering creatures that look like what we think dinosaurs looked like but who don't live or behave how we think dinosaurs lived and behaved going to help us learn about real dinosaurs?

• @thesporkman said: And how is genetically engineering creatures that look like what we think dinosaurs looked like but who don't live or behave how we think dinosaurs lived and behaved going to help us learn about real dinosaurs?

Becuase it would be the closest we'll ever get.

• What Icedhope was saying was true... the atmosphere today is completly different than it was in the Jurassic and the crustaceous periods... there was a much higher amount of oxygen in the air... therefore huge animals were able to breath easier and therefore grow so large.. it was ALSO a ton hotter so hot that some scientists have a hard time believing they were warmblooded at all... I am not convinced one way or the other... maybe they were lukewarm blooded...

the point though is there are too many variables to consider and we really wouldn't know unless someone actually cloned a dino... personally I think that it WOULD have a hard time breathing and would not be able to function well at all.... it would be like trying to run a marathon on top of Everest.... you would pass out pretty darn fast.

But Dinosaurs probably didn't have to exhale as we do... birds don't... the air they breath is released in their bones and muscles in sacs... it also uses less energy that way.

• @evolution_rex said: Becuase it would be the closest we'll ever get.

Thanks for taking that one for me man!! :)

@evolution_rex said: What Icedhope was saying was true... the atmosphere today is completly different than it was in the Jurassic and the crustaceous periods... there was a much higher amount of oxygen in the air... therefore huge animals were able to breath easier and therefore grow so large.. it was ALSO a ton hotter so hot that some scientists have a hard time believing they were warmblooded at all... I am not convinced one way or the other... maybe they were lukewarm blooded...

the point though is there are too many variables to consider and we really wouldn't know unless someone actually cloned a dino... personally I think that it WOULD have a hard time breathing and would not be able to function well at all.... it would be like trying to run a marathon on top of Everest.... you would pass out pretty darn fast.

But Dinosaurs probably didn't have to exhale as we do... birds don't... the air they breath is released in their bones and muscles in sacs... it also uses less energy that way.

Genetic power has an endless range of discovery my friend, during the process of cloning a dinosaur "successfully", we would learn a lot more. I promise you that we will have a dinosaur, or a good recreation of one not too far into the future.

Add Comment