User Avatar Image

What they left out of the 3rd edition of the King's Quest Companion...

posted by Akril15 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

This is a repeat of a post I made on another forum several months ago, but I thought I'd post it again here, since some things have changed since I made the first post.

As some of you may know, there are several versions of The King's Quest Companion. The first one covers KQ1-4, the second one was expanded to include KQ5, the third added KQ6, and the fourth (and last) one covers KQ1-7. However, because of the vast amount of material KQ6 contained, one of the sections present in the first and second editions had to be removed from the third edition.

This section was called "An Encyclopedia of Daventry", and it discusses the various people, creatures, lands and entities found throughout the series, often describing their real-life origins. However, there is also a lot of "embellishment" added to the descriptions of some of the original characters by the author, and some of this embellishment is so bizarre that when I first saw some examples from the encyclopedia on the KQ Wiki, I thought that some mischievous fan was adding this info as a joke. However, I now own the 2nd edition of the KQC, and I can verify that not only are the pages where the 2nd edition of the KQC are accurate, but they're copied almost verbatim.

Here are a few of the more..."interesting" entries that I discovered:

From the entry on snow leopards:
[quote][...]Rosella speculates that the leopard might be more than just a bodyguard. It seems that fairies must spend a day each week in the form of some animal. Rosella thinks Genesta may become a female snow leopard and the regal beast she saw in Genesta's Ivory Tower is her animal husband.[/quote]
Er...o-kaaay...
(Note: The encyclopedia's entry on fairies repeats the "fairies must spend one day in the form of an animal" fact.)

And speaking of Genesta (this text is from the wiki -- it's supposed to be an actual fairy tale, but I haven't been able to find it):
[quote]Genesta once took a young boy from his parents, a foolish king and queen. Genesta promised to return the boy someday, but said they would not see him again until he was all covered with fur. She called the boy Mannikin because of his small size. He grew up to go on many adventures, aided by the good fairy Genesta. Years, later when Mannikin returned from the North Pole, Genesta arrived in a chariot drawn by eagles, bearing with her Mannikin's parents. Mannikin was wearing a fur coat, thus Genesta's promise was fulfilled.[/quote]
Wow...makes me wonder if Lolotte got the idea of stealing Edgar from Genesta.

From the pirates' entry:
[quote]All the pirates but one are now dead, the victims of a great storm spell cast upon them by Prince Alexander some weeks after his return home. The lone survivor washed up on the coast of Llewdor babbling of shipmates being consumed by sharks and others swallowed by a great squid after being crushed in its tentacles. The unfortunate man also kept whimpering a word that sounded something like "Cthulhu," but his mind had been shattered by the experience and he only continued to chatter incoherently.[/quote]
Is it just me, or does this story seem a bit...well, out of place?
"Well Mother and Father, I'd really love to spend more time with you after spending nearly 18 years as a slave to an evil wizard, but right now I've got to go sic an Elder God on some rude pirates who stole my things before they brought me here. Bye!"

On Queen Icebella:
[quote]Her consort is the changeling and werewolf, Sir Greywolf.[/quote]
What is it with the implied bestiality in this Encyclopedia!?

A bit of information from Cassima's entry (remember, this is before KQ6 was made):
[quote][Derek Karlavaegan] also mentions that Alexander and Cassima have communicated since their meeting [in Mordack's castle], but how, or where or when is unknown. Nothing is at it appears, and we know too little.[/quote]
How conveniently vague...
Other entries in the encyclopedia go on to say that during these "communications", Cassima told Alexander about Dink (the unseen monster named "Sam" is apparently his brother), the blue beast in the castle (he is somehow related to Dink, "although whether he is made from parts of Dink or his tissue is not clear"), how her locket wound up in the Roc's nest (Mordack flew with her to his castle "in the wings of a giant bird", and she dropped the locket on the way). Too bad she never told him something like...say, the location of the Kingdom of the Green Isles?

On vampires:
[quote]Derek believes vampires may be descended from the lizardfolk and not supernatural at all, having powers similar to the bat and chameleon (other species that may have descended from the lizardfolk).[/quote]
I probably shouldn't have looked up the lizardfolk's page after reading this, but I did...
[quote]The lizardfolk are [a] reptilian race that had owned the earth, and roamed the stars before the evolution of mammals that would become humanity. They crawled out of the swamps to raise gargantuan cities and ruled the stars for untold millions of years. Their race died out, disappearing into oblivion, victims of arcane sorceries from beyond the Multiverse itself. The insane and incomprehensible magics (the very sounds which cannot be conceived nor reproduced by humans) that destroyed the lizards may exist still. [/quote]
...I got nothing.

According to An Encyclopedia of Daventry, the winged horse in KQ2 is indeed Pegasus, who was born from the blood of the gorgon Medusa after she was killed by Perseus. However, this raises the quandary of how Medusa is alive in KQ3. A look at her page in the Omni reveals that:
[quote]There are hints that this Medusa is the same one Perseus killed. How she came to be alive again is unknown.[/quote]
No kidding.

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I actually had no idea there was a fourth edition.

• I got ahold of the first three editions of the KQ Companion recently. Some of the stuff in it is indeed pretty wild.

Irishmile, the fourth edition crops up on eBay and used-book sites from time to time, but it's pricier than the other editions, and it seems to be rarer. From what I can tell, the "new" KQ7 content in the 4th edition was actually reprinted from a separate KQ7 Authorized Player's Guide by the same author.

• This post covers every angle of why I take the KQ Companion with an entire pile of salt.

• I really like the latest edition. I never read the earlier ones. And based on the examples cited, I think lack of space may not have been the only reason the Encyclopedia was removed. A much more agreeable read this way.

• @ATMachine said: Irishmile, the fourth edition crops up on eBay and used-book sites from time to time, but it's pricier than the other editions, and it seems to be rarer. From what I can tell, the "new" KQ7 content in the 4th edition was actually reprinted from a separate KQ7 Authorized Player's Guide by the same author.

Indeed -- KQ7 really got the short end of the stick when it was added to the KQC. It didn't even get its own illustration at the beginning of the novelization -- it just got the the old version of KQ4's illustration (Rosella in Edgar's bedroom, holding the rose he slipped under the door), and there wasn't an excerpt from the novelization under the picture like there was with every other novelization's picture, either.

• @KatieHal said: This post covers every angle of why I take the KQ Companion with an entire pile of salt.

I couldn't agree more! That book is wack.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: I couldn't agree more! That book is wack.

Bt

Outside of the encyclopedia, I don't see what the big problem with it is.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Outside of the encyclopedia, I don't see what the big problem with it is.

I think the whole thread of "Derek Karlavagegananaenanan" is lame. What's even more lame is when I see people reference the book in discussions about King's Quest by saying "Well, Derek Karlavagean said....."..... This has happened to me!

Bt

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Outside of the encyclopedia, I don't see what the big problem with it is.

I could go on, but I'll pick two stand-outs.

1) Why need we imply Icebella is banging a wolf?

2) Vampires are descended from lizardfolk. Yeah, I'm putting that right up there with saying they sparkle.

• @KatieHal said: I could go on, but I'll pick two stand-outs.

1) Why need we imply Icebella is banging a wolf?

2) Vampires are descended from lizardfolk. Yeah, I'm putting that right up there with saying they sparkle.

Note that I said, "outside of the Encyclopedia."

Add Comment