User Avatar Image

How should this game handle ingame deaths?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 952 users

How should this KQ game approach dying? Specifically, should it have a "Restore/Restart/Quit" popup with only manual saves, should it have a "Try Again" popup with autosaves set right before encountering unavoidable death, or should it have less frequent autosaves and still require you to manually restore?

Do you have any different ideas?

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @wilco64256 said: Yeah see I want a game to challenge me because it's a challenging game, not because I set the difficulty setting higher.

This statement baffles me to the point where I'm at loss for words. Well played.

• @Radogol said: This statement baffles me to the point where I'm at loss for words. Well played.

I think what you're missing here is my point that there's a huge difference between a game being a good challenge and it being difficult just because there's a setting I can change so that the enemies do a ridiculous amount of damage to me. Making the ghosts travel ten times faster in Pacman might make it more difficult, but that's not a "better" challenge.

In the same light, I don't see how increasing the "difficulty" setting on Uncharted makes it any better. It doesn't change the mechanics of how the game plays at all.

• Uncharted gives you all the tools you need to complete each level without a scratch. If a player can't complete an encounter on Crushing, that's because his skill is insufficient, not because the game is unfair.

• @wilco64256 said: I think what you're missing here is my point that there's a huge difference between a game being a good challenge and it being difficult just because there's a setting I can change so that the enemies do a ridiculous amount of damage to me. Making the ghosts travel ten times faster in Pacman might make it more difficult, but that's not a "better" challenge.

In the same light, I don't see how increasing the "difficulty" setting on Uncharted makes it any better. It doesn't change the mechanics of how the game plays at all.

How is being sent back to play through the same area you've already completed earlier more challenging than raising the difficulty to the point that you have to play extremely carefully to avoid being killed?

• Becuase you obviously don't want to go back to play through the areas you've played through already. This goes back to my earlier point. There's a danger to your accomplishments up to that point. If you haven't saved you're going to lose it. In an FPS this isn't necessary, but it is crucial (for some of us) to the experience of an adventure game.

This is really a mindset thing and how specific people look at adventures. I doubt people with an opinion like yours, Shodan, will even understand it. (that was in no way a jab or an insult) That's why I ask for a choice.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Becuase you obviously don't want to go back to play through the areas you've played through already. This goes back to my earlier point. There's a danger to your accomplishments up to that point. If you haven't saved you're going to lose it. In an FPS this isn't necessary, but it is crucial (for some of us) to the experience of an adventure game.

This is really a mindset thing and how specific people look at adventures. I doubt people with an opinion like yours, Shodan, will even understand it. (that was in no way a jab or an insult) That's why I ask for a choice.

This right here, it's just a different mindset about what makes a game good. If a good game to you is one that just changes the damage variables so that you die 600 times in every area that's totally fine. That's just different from what some other people consider to be a proper challenge.

• @wilco64256 said: If a good game to you is one that just changes the damage variables so that you die 600 times in every area that's totally fine. That's just different from what some other people consider to be a proper challenge.

Don't be such a patronizing dick. The generalizations are uncalled for.

• @Radogol said: Don't be such a patronizing dick. The generalizations are uncalled for.

Wow, easy tiger. It's perfectly okay to have a difference of opinion but there's no need for you to start calling names.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Hey guys, keep it classy here.

As for in-game deaths - I just don't like to see my character die, and that's enough to create a sense of "danger" for me. Dying feels like failure. Sure, I'll poke the wasp's nest just to see what happens, but I'll probably only do it once (unless it leads to an amusing death that begs repeated viewings).

Manual saves don't really add anything to the experience for me, so I'm all for KQVII-style "try again" popups. I sure don't mind if the player gets to choose autosave frequency, but I'd be going the least manual route.

• But imagine leaving in deaths and dead-ends...etc. You have to play the game in such a way that you are trying to prevent these things from occurring. To me that makes a great challenge. If you remove those elements, it makes it so you can't play on if you haven't done everything right to that point. Why not let the adventurer decide if he thinks that he is ready, and if he is not, lets hope he saved just in case. That to me makes a great sense of adventure and challenge. In KQVI I wouldn't go into the catacombs unless I felt confident that I had everything that I needed, and if I forgot something, I would be screwed. But I save before going in just in case. I don't know how anyone can see a problem with that design, but then again, everyone doesn't think like me. That is why having difficulty settings makes sense. No one is the same in what they like or how they think.

Add Comment