User Avatar Image

How should this game handle ingame deaths?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 951 users

How should this KQ game approach dying? Specifically, should it have a "Restore/Restart/Quit" popup with only manual saves, should it have a "Try Again" popup with autosaves set right before encountering unavoidable death, or should it have less frequent autosaves and still require you to manually restore?

Do you have any different ideas?

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah see the difference between having to do your own saving and the whole autosaving thing is that an autosave takes (just my opinion) all of the challenge out of a game by showing you exactly where you screwed up. If you have to do all your own saving then it takes a lot more thought and planning on the player's part to figure out what's going wrong when they get stuck or die.

• How about a pop up option asking the player the style they'd like to play under? Like asking them if they'd like to play the "Classic Sierra" way (Save Early, Save Often), the "Modern Sierra" way (reversible death, KQ7-esqe), or the "TTG/LucasArts" way (the only reason to save is incase of power failure)?

• @ScreamingFalcon said: How about a pop up option asking the player the style they'd like to play under? Like asking them if they'd like to play the "Classic Sierra" way (Save Early, Save Often), the "Modern Sierra" way (reversible death, KQ7-esqe), or the "TTG/LucasArts" way (the only reason to save is incase of power failure)?

The main problem I see with that is it's extra work to code multiple methods into a game like that and I don't really see Telltale wanting to spend that time or effort required to do so. They do the games and get them out the door. I'd love to see that, but I don't expect it at all.

• @ScreamingFalcon said: the "TTG/LucasArts" way (the only reason to save is incase of power failure)?

LucasArts games never had auto-save. :p

• @SHODANFreeman said: LucasArts games never had auto-save. :p

True, but my statement still holds true. The only game from LucasArts (LucasFilms Games as it was known at the time) that I can recall that you could actually die (or be captured, as was the case) in was the first one, Maniac Mansion.

• @ScreamingFalcon said: True, but my statement still holds true. The only game from LucasArts (LucasFilms Games as it was known at the time) that I can recall that you could actually die (or be captured, as was the case) in was the first one, Maniac Mansion.

The Indy games, too. Zak McKracken also had its fair share of dead ends.

• @Lambonius said: The Indy games, too. Zak McKracken also had its fair share of dead ends.

Meh, never much of a LucasArts fan back in the day.

• @ScreamingFalcon said: True, but my statement still holds true. The only game from LucasArts (LucasFilms Games as it was known at the time) that I can recall that you could actually die (or be captured, as was the case) in was the first one, Maniac Mansion.

If you stayed underwater for 10 minutes in the first Monkey Island, the game would become unwinnable, too.

• @wilco64256 said: Yeah see the difference between having to do your own saving and the whole autosaving thing is that an autosave takes (just my opinion) all of the challenge out of a game by showing you exactly where you screwed up. If you have to do all your own saving then it takes a lot more thought and planning on the player's part to figure out what's going wrong when they get stuck or die.

This.

I want a Restore/Restart/Quit screen. If I have an an autosave function, I want to it only save at various checkpoints or when I get a point for doing something. I don't want to go right back to before I died. I voted for having a choice.

Shodan, you've played too many LucasArts games and too few Sierra games to understand the value of making the player save early, save often and be careful about overwriting ealier savegames.

In KQ3, you're made to walk down the mountain at least once to get to town. If you fell off the mountain and the game gave you a Retry screen and put you right exactly next to where you fell, then there would be no feeling of precariousness. There would be no thought of "oh, crap I hope I don't fall... maybe I should save right here so I don't have to walk all the way down again if I die."

Also, say you're playing KQ6 and wandering the catacombs. If you walk into a room with a trapfloor, die and get a Retry screen, you would be put in the room immediately before you walked into the trap. Such a thing would drastically reduce the feeling of peril you get from playing the game.

But if you don't want the feeling of peril, then fine. I voted for choice anyway.

• @SHODANFreeman said: If you stayed underwater for 10 minutes in the first Monkey Island, the game would become unwinnable, too.

Wasn't there also a dead end where you could waste all your pieces of eight on the Grog machine or something?

Add Comment