User Avatar Image

King's Quest Collection - Steam Version help needed

posted by LeChuck1986 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Seeing how there were help topics for older Monkey Island titles, I made this one (seeing how you need to make 10 posts on Steam forums first before you can ask help >_>)

I installed the game and started with KQ5.
However, when I try to save, it says there is no disk space available or something like that.
I tried the solution of the "hardcopy KQ Collection" but then Steam doesn't let me allow to play the game.

Please help fellow KQ brothers & sisters.

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You need to install the KQ collection patches from The Sierra Help Pages. The Steam version is the same as the 2006 Vivendi retail boxed collection. Loaded with issues. The patches found on this website will fix everything in working order.

• What MI said. The King's Quest collection comes with an old version of Dosbox that does not work very well with the game. The patch upgrades it to a newer Dosbox and fixes some other issues. When I got the Space Quest collection, I had problems with slow screen transitions and sound skipping, and using the SQ patch fixed all of this.

• @LeChuck1986 said: Seeing how there were help topics for older Monkey Island titles, I made this one (seeing how you need to make 10 posts on Steam forums first before you can ask help >_>)

I installed the game and started with KQ5.
    However, when I try to save, it says there is no disk space available or something like that.
    I tried the solution of the "hardcopy KQ Collection" but then Steam doesn't let me allow to play the game.

Please help fellow KQ brothers & sisters.

I honestly suggest you buy the KQ Collection from www.GOG.com sure its 30$ for the whole collection but its DRM free and you can download and install it as many times as you want, plus the community is extremely helpfull.

I'm in no way affiliated with GOG it’s just my preferred Digital distributer

• @MusicallyInspired said: You need to install the KQ collection patches from The Sierra Help Pages. The Steam version is the same as the 2006 Vivendi retail boxed collection. Loaded with issues. The patches found on this website will fix everything in working order.

I tried that Patch, that was the above mentioned solution I tried. But then Steam won't recognise the game anymore and not start it anymore.

@MusicallyInspired said: I honestly suggest you buy the KQ Collection from www.GOG.com sure its 30$ for the whole collection but its DRM free and you can download and install it as many times as you want, plus the community is extremely helpfull.

I am not gonna pay for the game AGAIN, especially for such a price.

• $30 for all eight games isn't all that bad of a price, especially considering they all work perfectly under any current OS by default.

• @wilco64256 said: $30 for all eight games isn't all that bad of a price, especially considering they all work perfectly under any current OS by default.

Well, I bought it from Steam because it was affordable with my student income.
    I want a STEAM solution, not a "go buy a different version solution".

• Yeah that's the problem I have with Steam, they don't make much of any effort to resolve compatibility issues. I only bought a couple of games from Steam before moving over to GOG instead since their stuff works fine.

• Have you tried running the game with ScummVM?
    That should work and you don't need to re-buy it.

http://scummvm.org/downloads/

Get a daily build from the bottom of the page.

• You could also try just downloading the latest dosbox, and running the games executables with that.

• You don't NEED to run it inside Steam. Just use the new shortcuts that the patches create. The Steam game overlay UI does no good for DOSBox anyway unless you're running it in OpenGL mode. And even then the resolution is small so everything would be huge.

Add Comment