User Avatar Image

How should this game handle ingame deaths?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 944 users

How should this KQ game approach dying? Specifically, should it have a "Restore/Restart/Quit" popup with only manual saves, should it have a "Try Again" popup with autosaves set right before encountering unavoidable death, or should it have less frequent autosaves and still require you to manually restore?

Do you have any different ideas?

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Programming wise, I'd imagine the easiest method would be to have a switchable auto-save feature. Saving the game manually comes as default, so no extra programming needed there. All we need really is an option for those who don't like dying and loading a save from 10 minutes ago.

The auto-save feature will enable the game to save when you do something that kills you and puts you back right before you made that deadly action. Unfortunately, this method would probably not work under timed events or falling.

Although I like how LucasArts handled deaths in Monkey Island, it's just not fitting for Kings Quest.

Lastly, Space Quest 3 Deaths ftw

• @icedan said: Although I like how LucasArts handled deaths in Monkey Island, it's just not fitting for Kings Quest.

Err, handled deaths by not having them? (10 minute one doesn't count)

• @MusicallyInspired said: Wasn't there also a dead end where you could waste all your pieces of eight no the Grog machine or something?

I think so, and I think there was also one where you could burn all of your items on the ship and be unable to light the cannon.

@MusicallyInspired said: Err, handled deaths by not having them? (10 minute one doesn't count)

He dies in MI2, also, and it cuts back to him and Elaine with a "wait that's not how it happened" moment.

• So... so far this poll shows that 20 people are pro-choice and 12 are pro-life.

Yeah, I went there. Sorry. :p

• I voted other. I think it should be A, with an unskippable warning at the beginning of the game that informs you that there may be surprise deaths and that you should save frequently.

• @Scnew said: Err, handled deaths by not having them? (10 minute one doesn't count)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENeRZEnn2Fc

enjoy

• @MusicallyInspired said: Wasn't there also a dead end where you could waste all your pieces of eight on the Grog machine or something?

I dead-ended on the ship once myself (I hadn't gotten the map in Chapter One and wound up with nothing to turn into a flaming mass).

• @Lambonius said: The Indy games, too. Zak McKracken also had its fair share of dead ends.

Both of them? I thought only The Last Crusade had dead ends. I thought every game starting with Loom was impossible to make unwinnable.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Both of them? I thought only The Last Crusade had dead ends. I thought every game starting with Loom was impossible to make unwinnable.

No no, I was saying that in the Indy games, you could DIE. I wasn't talking about putting the game in an unwinnable state.

Zak McKracken was the only Lucasfilm game that I can think of that really had bad dead ends in it. I'm actually pretty sure there are no true dead ends in Last Crusade. The original Maniac Mansion may have had some dead ends in it, too, but I can't really remember.

• I don't know, I'd consider it pretty damn impossible to win a game when you're dead.

Add Comment