User Avatar Image

I'd like to pitch a new Sam & Max series to Adult Swim, but...

posted by lattsam on - last edited - Viewed by 728 users

Maybe I should show a script of a potential episode to Steve Purcell first, and see if he'll give me his blessing. After all, it worked for the radio play! :D

Should I do this or not?

(Oh, and by the way, the series I want to pitch is NOT my abridged series, just to get that out of the way.)

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • SillyStell speaks the truth I am afraid.. I have to imagine if Steve wanted it to be a toon his contacts in that world are a lot better than anyone who posts here...

I would suggest instead just making an awesome fancartoon.. It always amazing what dedicated fans can put together...

Also Icedhope is right... there is absolutely no reason to be outright mean to them.

• @Irishmile said: ...

Also Icedhope is right... there is absolutely no reason to be outright mean to them.

i'm not trying to be mean. Its just that he keeps asking for something that just wont happen

• I think writing to Steve or leaving a comment on his blog about doing a new series is a perfectly fine thing to do, but I doubt it would be appreciated if someone started going to Adult Swim and trying to pitch them a show without going through Steve, since Sam & Max is pretty clearly his to do with what he wants.

• I thought pitching ideas was a big no no, since it's murky afterwards where the idea came from, this being the reason why lots of writers avoid reading fan fiction like the plague (so as to avoid being accused of plagiarizing the fanfiction writer's work, and possibly closing off entire possibilites for their characters that they otherwise might have invented versions of themselves).

This means that you atleast never should send ideas to writers at all, atleast not until you've cleared their view on this.

• @somaen said: I thought pitching ideas was a big no no, since it's murky afterwards where the idea came from, this being the reason why lots of writers avoid reading fan fiction like the plague (so as to avoid being accused of plagiarizing the fanfiction writer's work, and possibly closing off entire possibilites for their characters that they otherwise might have invented versions of themselves).

This means that you atleast never should send ideas to writers at all, atleast not until you've cleared their view on this.

If you want to formally pitch a concept its usually said that you should go through an agent. I don't know if that works very cleanly when you're pitching a third party on a different third party's content.

• @lattsam said: I don't think that's appropriate for this thread. This thread is about pitching a Sam and Max series to Adult Swim.

Okay, Hamza?

That could be appropriate as it is related to your topic of a new show, although maybe not this person's attitude/tone that the All-Caps suggests though, but what he's saying may be true. Then again, it might happen - weirder things have happened - although unlikely. I think a better topic of this thread would be - "Let's pretend we had the rights to pitch a Sam and Max show to Adult Swim. What would it be like?"

• @Icedhope said: Guys seriously, who are you to tear someone down for having an Idea? it's uncalled for and not necessary.

So he has been adamant about Nick and Bill. Well he's a fan of it, and he would like to see it happen.

Seriously though stop knocking someone down.

True. Jaleel White was recently (yes, it's true) casted as Sonic again, albeit for a fan live action movie with a 3D Sonic character. Like I said, it could happen. Stranger things have happened. Like Jaleel White playing a 3D hedgehog in a fan film - like about 20 years after the Sonic cartoon originally aired.

• @somaen said: I thought pitching ideas was a big no no, since it's murky afterwards where the idea came from, this being the reason why lots of writers avoid reading fan fiction like the plague (so as to avoid being accused of plagiarizing the fanfiction writer's work, and possibly closing off entire possibilites for their characters that they otherwise might have invented versions of themselves).

Oh. I just don't read fan fiction because a lot of it sucks. lol

• @Jake said: I think writing to Steve or leaving a comment on his blog about doing a new series is a perfectly fine thing to do, but I doubt it would be appreciated if someone started going to Adult Swim and trying to pitch them a show without going through Steve, since Sam & Max is pretty clearly his to do with what he wants.

It wouldn't matter since the pitch, no matter how good, would be immediately turned down as soon as Adult Swim realized the person didn't own the rights and therefore wasn't serious about the pitch. Steve would either laugh a little or raise an eyebrow, but he'd know that there's nothing that can be done against him since he owns the copyright.

Oh, didn't realize I quoted an ADMIN/TTG employee. No, it's true, that wouldn't be appreciated, but I don't think any network or etc would take a pitch from a third party, as you said, seriously since they do not have rights to the pitched content.

• @Irishmile said: SillyStell speaks the truth I am afraid.. I have to imagine if Steve wanted it to be a toon his contacts in that world are a lot better than anyone who posts here...

I would suggest instead just making an awesome fancartoon.. It always amazing what dedicated fans can put together...

I like this idea. You see fan animations all over the web. Why not get a bunch of fans together and make a short or series of shorts? It'll be fun and not illegal as it falls into the area of fan-fiction and it'll be free and won't be making the fans any money. Just credit the copyright holder(s) (Steven Purcell) and what not.

Add Comment