User Avatar Image

How should this game handle ingame deaths?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

How should this KQ game approach dying? Specifically, should it have a "Restore/Restart/Quit" popup with only manual saves, should it have a "Try Again" popup with autosaves set right before encountering unavoidable death, or should it have less frequent autosaves and still require you to manually restore?

Do you have any different ideas?

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GuruGuru214 said: I don't know, I'd consider it pretty damn impossible to win a game when you're dead.

Well you could definitely die in Fate of Atlantis. You could be shot, killed in fights, fall prey to booby traps, eaten by a giant octopus, fall into a pool of lava, etc. :)

• I like how the thread title emphasises that we're talking about "in-game" deaths. I'd like to know how a game could handle any other kind of deaths. :D

• @Brainiac said: I dead-ended on the ship once myself (I hadn't gotten the map in Chapter One and wound up with nothing to turn into a flaming mass).

Nothing? you can turn Stan's card(s) or the cereal box top or various other things into a flaming mass. You don't need the map for that.

• @Chyron8472 said: Nothing? you can turn Stan's card(s) or the cereal box top or various other things into a flaming mass. You don't need the map for that.

Yeah, I always used the feather pen from the captain's quarters.

• @Chyron8472 said: Nothing? you can turn Stan's card(s) or the cereal box top or various other things into a flaming mass. You don't need the map for that.

@Chyron8472 said: Yeah, I always used the feather pen from the captain's quarters.

You can put all of those into the cooking pot.

• IIRC, in the first releases of Monkey Island you could only use one or two objects to create the flaming mass.

• @icedan said: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENeRZEnn2Fc

enjoy

But that's a spoof of the deaths in the Sierra games.

• @MusicallyInspired said: IIRC, in the first releases of Monkey Island you could only use one or two objects to create the flaming mass.

I think one of the ways this was (partially) fixed was that you eventually get an infinite stack of Stan's business cards, since he gives you one every time you leave, but if you know what you're doing, you never get enough business cards for the infinite stack to happen.

• @SHODANFreeman said: You can put all of those into the cooking pot.

And that's why it can be a dead end. It's possible to put everything that you can turning into the flaming mass into the cooking pot before finally setting off the spell and thus being trapped just off the coast of Monkey Island. I'm pretty certain it's doable in any version of the game since I did it in the Monkey Madness CD edition (I never tested for it in the Special Edition, but I'd bet it's still possible there as well).

Now that I've said that you are correct and thus confirmed your superiority, SHODANFreeman, may I please be given a free pass for when you finally snap and kill us all? Between your handle and your avatar, I seriously fear for my life. ;)

• @Brainiac said: (I never tested for it in the Special Edition, but I'd bet it's still possible there as well).

How much are you willing to bet?

It was removed in the Special Edition.

Add Comment