User Avatar Image

free Ep. 1: english subtitles please !

posted by herc on - last edited - Viewed by 550 users

i am from germany, and i am very happy to be able to play a free episode of back-to-the-future !
but the fun is massively spoiled by one flaw: i get german subtitles for english voices. i am not that bad in english that i need german subtitles! i rather need english subtitles to support hearing.
also it is clear that some puns / linguistic jokes simply cant be translated easily.

so my question: how do i enable english subtitles?

(are there english subtitles anyway ?)

11 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Download the English version and enable subtitles and it should work

• I've the same problem.
    Voice over in english, menu and subtitles german.

My telltale page is in english, I don't get asked which version I want to download. Neither does it during installing, or lets me change language after its installed not in the launcher or the game.
    The filename is "bttf_101_setup.exe"

I would love to have the english subtitles, because really, having them mixed up like that is completely confusing.

• crap same problem but whit french subtitle
    i hoped ther wase a way to change the seting but i cant find it anywhere

• Some more googling brought me to this thread:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=428234&postcount=30

That works for me, after adding the registry key, its all english now! YAY.
    I also renamed the german folder, so not sure thats required or not, but I did it.

And here are a few more ideas how to solve it:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=454438

However I hope telltale adds an option to change language without messing with the registry all the time.

• In the main menu, under the Quit option, there are three flags. Click on them?

• I also downloaded the free version of episode 1 but I'd like to have German voices instead. Does anyone know if there are more language files included in this "demo"-version and how to enable them?

If I can't adjust to the German voices I can switch back to English but I at least like to have the choice :)

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Mondai said: I also downloaded the free version of episode 1 but I'd like to have German voices instead. Does anyone know if there are more language files included in this "demo"-version and how to enable them?

If I can't adjust to the German voices I can switch back to English but I at least like to have the choice :)

If you don't get a language option on the download page for the free episode, you may not be able to get the German voices. If you do end up purchasing the full season, there's a language-selection dropdown on the games download page that should give you the German voice files.

• Thanks for answering. I do know that there is that option if I buy the full season but what's the point in offering episode 1 and excluding every language (voices) besides English? Before buying the full season I wanted to hear for myself if it's worth paying for or waiting for it to get cheaper. I prefer playing in my native language so this would really help me deciding.

Some might say that I could watch some videos on Youtube but that would spoil the fun, right? :D

• @Kronos2000: thank you so much. that registry hack did the trick !

• @Falanca said: In the main menu, under the Quit option, there are three flags. Click on them?

The flags don't exist in the free Ep1, neither does a download option to change language.

Bot of them exist in the purchased version though, so if you buy it, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Add Comment