User Avatar Image

Time Travel / Parallel dimension !

posted by scottyd2k9 on - last edited - Viewed by 900 users

Does anyone know any good

DVD's
Books
Games

That has time travel or parallel dimention elements in ?

These are my best type of movies, ive watched tons over past few years.
Sliders tv series, back to the future, triangle tv series, timecop, frequency.

After playing the back to the future i want more more more. The game is quite short an we only get to see an episode after each month but im craving some more lmao...

Thanks in advance !

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • BOOK: The Time Traveller's Wife. It was recently made into a movie with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana - not a bad job but the book was so much better. A guy has the ability to time travel without a car (or phone booth!) but cannot control the ability. Nor does he have the good luck for his clothes or any other object to accompany him. One moment he could be in front of a fire reading and the next he could be buck naked and shivering in the 1930s (hope Edna doesn't get a rude shock!) He meets a very young girl and they develop a friendship but he refuses to tell her his last name or about his life in the present so she can't find him before he travels back for the first time. They have their relationship out of chronological order...sometimes he's very young, sometimes he's older. And the first time he sees Claire, he's a young man working at a library and she bumps into him, takes him out for Thai and he is bewildered as to who she is! :P

TV: I would recommend the past Doctor Who series - first I've watched and it was with the new Doctor. Really good. He's no Doc Brown in my book but still great and the idea of Fate/paradoxes is presented very well. And Rose rocks (more so than the movie Jennifer, must say). Though I'm sure Claudia Wells could kick her ass! :P

GAMES: I assume you've played Day of the Tentacle but what about the new Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective game on Nintendo DS where you travel back in time short distances to change people's destinies and unlock a greater mystery. Haven't played it yet but it's on my 'To Buy' list.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I wholeheartedly second the Doctor Who recommendation!

You also might be interested in Red Dwarf, a British comedy/sci-fi series. It follows Dave Lister, the last human being alive, stuck with a few strange companions in a mining ship 3 million years from Earth.

The crew are always getting involved in stuff like time travel and parallel dimensions. I love how the show combines a quirky sense of humour with convoluted sci-fi and time travel / alternate reality elements (it's mostly character/situation comedy really, with the sci-fi elements largely used as plot devices). Plot inconcsistencies, character changes etc are generally explained away in some gloriously ridiculous fashion.

Some episodes to check out:
    [LIST]
    [*]Future Echoes - when their ship starts travelling faster than the speed of light, the crew experience visions/echoes of their own future
    [*]Stasis Leak - one of the ship's stasis pods starts leaking, creating a passageway back in time that the crew can travel through
    [*]Parallel Universe - pretty self-explanatory, the crew accidentally jump into a parallel universe and meet alternate versions of themselves
    [*]Backwards - the ship crashes through a "time hole" and the crew land on an alternate version of Earth where everything is backwards
    [*]Dimension Jump - an alternate version of one of the series' characters, very different to the one we know, crosses the dimensional barrier and interacts with the regular crew
    [*]Timeslides - the crew discover they can travel back in time by stepping into photographs projected on the wall
    [*]Tikka to Ride - after acquiring a "time-drive", the crew travels back to November 1963 and accidentally screw up the Kennedy assassination
    [/LIST]

• MOVIE: Hot Tub Time Machine. Four old friends go back in time to their youth and must make sure events that had happened, still happen. Including, girlfriend break-ups, musical interest and beat downs. But it's a good movie. Really funny writing too.

• Thanks alot guys ill be sure to check all these out.

And if you haven't watch sliders an the triangle tv series.

There both amazing parallel dimention tv series..

• Which reminds me... how could I have forgotten?... the movie TRIANGLE starring Australian actress Melissa George!

"When Jess sets sail on a yacht with a group of friends, she cannot shake the feeling that there is something wrong. Her suspicions are realized when the yacht hits a storm and the group is forced to board a passing ocean liner to get to safety. The ship appears deserted, the clock on board has stopped, but they are not alone... Someone is intent on hunting them down, one by one."

TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JP4wVVCOQ

and look up "Timecrimes", a Spanish film: http://www.wikio.com/video/timecrimes-trailer-hd-4970556

Both of these will mess with your head but are really cool.

There's also Run Lola Run! Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

• ... one element, sure. But it's the only way of telling people about it... I pasted in the description from a website since it's late. I'll edit it to give less detail... please remove your quote.

• Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is another good one. Bill and Ted use a phone booth to go through time and collect historical figures.

Not quite time travel as such, but involves temporal warping of some sort are Frequency and The Lake House. Frequency is where a father and son communicate through time with a radio over thirty years, while The Lake House is where a man and women communicate through a mailbox over two years.

• There are a lot of Star Trek episodes and movies dealing with time travel and parallel timelines, too many for me to list here, so I'll refer you to this handy dandy list: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Time_travel_episodes

• Futurama has a few episodes dealing with time travel, and a few more dealing with alternate realities.

• @bttf4444 said: Futurama has a few episodes dealing with time travel, and a few more dealing with alternate realities.

Futurama time travel episodes are especially fun because they go out of their way to use a different, contradictory time travel theory nearly every time they use time travel.

Add Comment