User Avatar Image

Websites that Didn't Need the Change

posted by BoneFreak on - last edited - Viewed by 279 users

So, recently one of my favorite game sites, Kongregate, has been accquired by GameStop, and everyone is worrying about changes. I myself are not worrying, but I did get a good topic. What websites do you think should never have changed to what they are now?

One of mine is Candystand.com. Shortly after Wrigley was bought by MARS, the site got changed. Go figure. It's completely horrible now, before it had quality original content but now it takes crap from all other game sites, including RuneScape, which doesn't even deserve to be there. They also added a huge community thing, and prizes, but that seems to make the site even worse, and I can't even stand to play a game there ever again.

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Hayden said: I think we can all agree that Facebook's new 'press Enter to post' is quite unnecessary and pretty bloody annoying.

Now it seems more like the way an IM client would function, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a webpage. Although I'm in the habit of writing my comments in a text editor and then copy/pasting into the comment field, so to be honest I barely noticed the change.

• I like the Facebook feature, why would I want to post before I was sure I've said what I've meant to say? Why would I want it to just post randomly, before I finished my thought?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Hitting Enter used to do a new line (carriage return / line feed) in the comment box, and you clicked the Comment (or whatever it was called) button to post. Now the button is gone, pressing Enter posts the comment, and you need Shift+Enter to get a new line. If you're used to hitting Enter to paragraph, the new function means it's pretty easy to accidentally post something before you're done typing.

• @puzzlebox said: Hitting Enter used to do a new line (carriage return / line feed) in the comment box, and you clicked the Comment (or whatever it was called) button to post. Now the button is gone, pressing Enter posts the comment, and you need Shift+Enter to get a new line. If you're used to hitting Enter to paragraph, the new function means it's pretty easy to accidentally post something before you're done typing.

Yes ^, this is my main problem with the new function. Of course, it's not going to affect the majority of Facebook users, as most of them rarely post more than 3 or 4 words. But those who actually want to type paragraphs, or quote people, or anything like that, are going to be a little annoyed when they keep accidentally posting part of their full intended comment.

• @puzzlebox said: Hitting Enter used to do a new line (carriage return / line feed) in the comment box, and you clicked the Comment (or whatever it was called) button to post. Now the button is gone, pressing Enter posts the comment, and you need Shift+Enter to get a new line. If you're used to hitting Enter to paragraph, the new function means it's pretty easy to accidentally post something before you're done typing.

Oh, yeah...that does sound like a bad design flaw. Maybe it has to deal with mobile devices some how?

• @coolsome said: YOUTUBE they make loads of unnecessary changes and the page layouts get worse and worse and when you get used to something they change it

I just hate the ads on YouTube. Want to watch a 30 second clip from an Adult Swim show? Well enjoy this 40 second advertisement first.

• @Scnew said: I just hate the ads on YouTube. Want to watch a 30 second clip from an Adult Swim show? Well enjoy this 40 second advertisement first.

I don't care about the advertisements. They help the website to stay alive, and they help it to make a profit, meaning that there will be a YouTube for a long time to come. And I'd rather a YouTube with ads than no YouTube at all.

Besides, why is everybody so impatient. Of course, none of us want to watch the advertisements, but is it really a big deal? I never understand all of the complaining over the 10-40 second advertisements; it a tiny portion of your overall time on the internet, yet it's complained about so much. Just click onto another web page while you wait, or get up and grab a snack from the fridge; it's not really a huge problem, are we really this impatient?

• Yes. This is why we're on Youtube and Hulu instead of actually watching TV.

• IMDB I hate that they took away all the handy links for the movies away from the left side...

Facebook lack of submit button ticks me off for posts I accidentally hit enter about a hundred times and make half posts.

• http://www.kotaku.com/

Their web layout is an absolute mess.

However the original layout is still available on the canadian website:

http://ca.kotaku.com/

Add Comment