User Avatar Image

Just another Launching problem...

posted by pcabsturz on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

Hi guys :)

At first : Sorry for my nickname, it just all went wrong today and when the registration window refused at first to accept a chosen nickname i got
hopping mad, chose the first word that came to my mind, it was granted and i then noticed i'm not able to alter it anymore :D

@The Problem:
Like some of the others here in the Forum i also have problems starting up Sam & Max. Season 1 worked well on my engine and downloading and installing s02e01, too...well at first. After i wanted to start the game it asked me for my mail adress and the passwort. I typed it in, clicked on "send", waited... then the window which is attached to this post appeared. It just kept staying there... you can click the buttom for the newsletter at the bottom of the window, but the window itself won't change. You can still minimize, move and close the window but there's nothing like "Start the game" :mad:

What could it be ?
thanks for help

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sorry, I can't help you there, I've never used Norton's firewall :(

• @GI Joe said: Hm... ok, so how do I get Norton to quit blocking it?

I have the program set to "permit all" connections already. It shouldn't be blocking anything.

Ajax isn't a 'connection' it is a 'ad' , for Norton anyway.

Norton ad-blocking will kill a lot of Ajax stuff. Best thing to do is add www.telltale.com to your 'ad allowed' lists or whatever those are called nowadays.

You'll have to look up exact instructions on the Norton site.

And PLEASE set your firewall back to 'permit selective' or whatever but get it OFF 'permit all' that's asking for problems.

• *.telltalegames.com would be the actual domain to add

• It's not set to permit all for everything. It's very selective. Only trusted programs get set to that, and even then you instruct it which connections to allow, what protocol, etc.

I don't recall any settings for "ad" blocking, however. I'll have to look it over again.

• Ok, I found the settings, but after entering telltalegames.com, it wants me to enter specific URL strings that it should permit, and I've no idea what to put for that.

If I just enter the domain name alone, it isn't effective.

• All you're missing out on in offline mode is forum and blog updates, you know. There's no actual game functionality that's missing.

• @GI Joe said: Ok, I found the settings, but after entering telltalegames.com, it wants me to enter specific URL strings that it should permit, and I've no idea what to put for that.

If I just enter the domain name alone, it isn't effective.

If it still looks the same it did in 2003, when you add the domain name it appears in a list to the left. On the right you have three tabs.

Select domain name on the left, then choose the 3rd tab on the right which should be 'ad blocking'. You want to ADD an item.

In the 'add item' box set the option to PERMIT and text to just a slash (single / ). Press OK and check if it indeed has added 'PERMIT /' to the list for telltale.

That should do it. It permits basically ALL urls as ad's from telltale.

• Oh yeah, you only need to connect the game ONCE to unlock/activate it. So you should good to go already :)

• Also, activating the game is totally separate from 'offline mode' -- that doesn't use ajax, and doesn't have anything to do with the launcher retrieving community updates.

• @fpostma said: If it still looks the same it did in 2003, when you add the domain name it appears in a list to the left. On the right you have three tabs.

Select domain name on the left, then choose the 3rd tab on the right which should be 'ad blocking'. You want to ADD an item.

In the 'add item' box set the option to PERMIT and text to just a slash (single / ). Press OK and check if it indeed has added 'PERMIT /' to the list for telltale.

That should do it. It permits basically ALL urls as ad's from telltale.

Thanks for the tips. The interface does in fact look exactly as you described.

I followed your instructions to the letter, but it didn't change anything. The only way it will permit it is if I turn off ad blocking completely. I don't know what's wrong. But at least I learned more about the firewall program, so thank you for that.

And yes, I know I'm not missing out on any game functionality. It's still annoying, though.

Add Comment