User Avatar Image

The Discworld series

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 191 users

We had a topic for Terry's the watch, so I figured it would be best if there was a topic regarding on his well known series Discworld. How many of you have read the books or played any of the games? I do know that there were only three of them. I only played half of Discworld 1(stopped it seeing that Scummvm crashed whenever I tired to load it) and I'm currently going through the second game.

I just finished reading Mort and got a huge kick out of it. So are there any Discworld fans on here?

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Davies: I'm not sure about this, but I seem to remember that SCUMMVM works with the Discworld series. I can't remember if Discworld Noir was on the the list, but you could always check it out.

• I'm a huge fan. Have all the books, almost all of the spinoff products (Mapps, Science Of, Folkore Of, Games, Calendars, Diaries, DVDs, CDs, a few minatures.... and more) and this weekend I'm travelling to Sydney for the 3rd Australian Discworld Convention (my fourth overall - 3 in Australia, 1 in the UK).

I've submitted a question about future computer games to be asked during Terry's interview session (assuming I don't get the chance to talk to him directly myself - after all there'll be 400 people there wanting to chat) so next week I might have some news for you about the /possibility/ of future Discworld Computer games, assuming a deal can be reached between Terry and a developer.

• @Alcoremortis said: @Davies: I'm not sure about this, but I seem to remember that SCUMMVM works with the Discworld series. I can't remember if Discworld Noir was on the the list, but you could always check it out.

I have the first two loaded into ScummVM (along with every other compatible game, excluding some of the kids titles) but unfortunately Noir is not compatible due to it using a complex semi-3D engine, it's the same reason that EFMI and Grim Fandango aren't supported. Maybe in a 2045 release of ScummVM...

• @Woodsyblue said: Funnily enough the only book I've read of the series is Mort. I quite enjoyed it but every time I think about trying to take the series on I get scared off my just how many books their are :(

When I get into a series I like to read them all and right now I just don't have time to get through Discworld. I did enjoy the game, don't know which one I played though. I didn't realise there were three :o

There's really no reason to be put off by the huge number of books into the series, mostly because they are pretty neatly broken up into smaller sub-series, which mostly have 3-5 books in each and can be read together. Reading all of Discworld is a pretty large endeavor -- though the books themselves aren't that long -- but getting through the books about each of the characters is a bit less daunting.

There are some which are a bit more 'standalone', such as "Small Gods" or "Moving Pictures", but most of the books fall under either The Wizards, The Witches, Death, Rincewind, The Watch, or more recently Moist von Lipwig.

• I'm gonna have to borrow my brother's copy of Unseen Academicals as it's the only one I've not read yet (not counting the young adult series). Hell, that's why I bought him the book for his birthday at the end of last year!

• @Davies said: I have the first two loaded into ScummVM (along with every other compatible game, excluding some of the kids titles) but unfortunately Noir is not compatible due to it using a complex semi-3D engine, it's the same reason that EFMI and Grim Fandango aren't supported. Maybe in a 2045 release of ScummVM...

Didn't know it was 3D. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be another program, developed by the same people, that would work for 3D engines. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though, only that it was about halfway finished two years ago.

Probably still halfway finished.

And yes, that was incredibly vague. That's gonna bug me for the rest of the week.

• @Alcoremortis said: Didn't know it was 3D. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be another program, developed by the same people, that would work for 3D engines. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though, only that it was about halfway finished two years ago.

Probably still halfway finished.

And yes, that was incredibly vague. That's gonna bug me for the rest of the week.

I know Residual is being worked on for Grim Fandango (& eventually Escape from Monkey Island) and I think another team is working on using that for Discworld Noir.

• @corruptbiggins said: I know Residual is being worked on for Grim Fandango (& eventually Escape from Monkey Island) and I think another team is working on using that for Discworld Noir.

Yes! That's the one I was thinking of! Now I won't have to wonder about that for the next week or so.

Though for some reason, I thought it was something to do with resurrection.

So they're still not finished, huh?

• @Alcoremortis said: So they're still not finished, huh?

I can't find much current info about it - either they're being very quiet with it or it's in a state of limbo. Most stuff I've read about it comes from 2009 (which is when it started I believe). But then I think development of Residual for Grim Fandango has stalled since then as well. In short I wouldn't expect anything any time soon.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@KuroShiro said: There's really no reason to be put off by the huge number of books into the series, mostly because they are pretty neatly broken up into smaller sub-series, which mostly have 3-5 books in each and can be read together.

That's right! Check out the handy-dandy reading order guide (click here for a larger version):

DjO27.jpg

'Tis a thing of great beauty.

I've read most if not all of the books (kind of hard to remember exactly since that's been over maybe a 13 year period). Easily one of my most favourite series. It's more rewarding the more books you read, seeing this intricate world built up in such beautifully interwoven detail.

Add Comment