User Avatar Image

What you'd like to see in TTG's Kings Quest (merged threads)

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

I've noticed in KQ games--ESPECIALLY KQ5--you get a lot of interesting things, both in the art and story, which are never explained but nonetheless entice. For example, look at the shot of the Roc carrying off Graham:
kq5vga3h.png

Note in the foreground there is a primitive village. It's there and it's made clear, yet we never learn anything about it, or visit it. It's just there to entice the eyes and get you wondering.

kq5vga2q.png

Or this snowy vista. Endless miles of snow lay beyond, perhaps kingdoms of ice and caves among the mountains in the distance--but we don't know. We aren't told. It's just there.

Then you have some of the characters. We never learn much about Mordack, but he comes off as a very powerful, dark, evil fellow right out of a pulp fantasy story. We don't know all that much about him, but we can see he's clearly obsessed with the occult, with snakes, and with some kind of cult (note his Satanic looking altar in the last photo ). None of this is explained to us, but that makes it all the more interesting.
kq5vga3r.pngkq5vga3s.pngkq5newvga18.pngkq5vga3u.png

Or, look at these scenes when Graham is in the boat.
kq5cd1r.pngkq5vga3a.png

Dozens of rocky islands are seen far off in the horizon, but we never visit them, and we're never told anything about them. And it leads the mind to wonder--what IS on those islands? What creature or people reside there? Your mind can run wild with speculation.

I think that a TT King's Quest game should have little things like this--places we can't explore that are just at the edge of the screen, far away places that tantalize the imagination, interesting characters who we don't learn the whole story of--Because it allows you to have things left up to your own imagination, to dream up your own stories and backstories about these characters and locations.

It leaves you hungrier for more--and such things have sustained the fan community for years. For example, single, cryptic message about something called the Black Cloak Society kept fans' imaginations fired for nearly 20 years, without us ever being told much of anything about this society other than it's name. Less is more in King's Quest, and in KQ, all of these lands, and characters are left purposely unexplained, and are never returned to, never explored in full, and it serves a good purpose:

It entices you, the same way a scantily clad woman is enticing and intriguing to the eye without revealing everything; It makes your mind wonder, and lights your imagination up. If you're told everything about a character or, are allowed to explore every crevice of a land, you lose the ability to imagine and dream yourself, and you become less an active participant in this wild, alien fantasy world and more a mere observer with everything about it being spoonfed to you.

81 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: -Only one goal in mind. Everything else you figure out on your own as you discover the world.
    -The world has to be big and full of life and obstacles to get in your way to block you from that goal. Don't give the WHOLE world away all at once, but a lot of it. There has to be some excitement to see new areas, which is what puzzles like getting rid of the snake and fixing the boat in KQ5 were all about. Getting to that new area at last!
    -The game has to be dangerous and cause real feelings of suspense, thrill, and excitement. There has to be a possibility of utter failure in the gaming experience if this is to work.

I'm skeptical of any large post that people say is "required reading," but... yeah. This sums it up really well.

This gives me the idea that in order to work episodically and maintain that KQ feel, red herrings have to be set up in earlier episodes. Say in "Episode 1," you come across an angry beaver troll that's preventing you from entering a jungle - you're going to think that this is a puzzle to solve. The catch would be that you don't even get the item you need to get past this beaver troll until Episode 3.

• Yeah, that's an interesting idea.

• lol, so the higher the frustration, the greater the satisfaction? Is that KQ's motto?

• How is that frustrating? It's an adventure game. It's supposed to be difficult. The better the puzzles the better the game. More obstacles means more puzzles; more game!

• Internet Mood Fail. I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, I was just laughing at why frustration leads to satisfaction.

• Listen, we all love KQ, yeah, but come on, let's be honest...It's 2011. All of that cutesy, bright, family friendly Disney-ish crap is so 1990. This is the Jane Jensen age, not the silly bright old Roberta Williams or Walt Disney age. Psh.

This is the modern age, and these are darker times than the bright and sunny 1990s were. KQ needs to be revamped for the darker, more gritty, more emo-centric 2010s. Who really needs all that family friendly nonsense when you can have a dark story with complex characters and a complex storyline? Adventure games are about thinking, dammit! In the original games, you didn't think, you simply had an enjoyable experience--That's so hollow, so fake, such a farce! What good is an adventure game if it doesn't have a mind bending plot and deep characters who have real emotions?

I say ditch all that Disney, fairy tale stuff. This ain't 1984. This is 2011. Out with that old, crappy lighthearted stuff.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Is this sarcasm or.....?

No. It's a new day. The old, light hearted, illogical, silly KQ "family friendly" formula isn't going to cut it anymore. This isn't 1990. You can't get away with throwing pies in a Yeti's face anymore. This is 2011. The post family friendly era.These are serious times. Serious times require serious games.

• The Kings Quest series started moving in that direction with Mask of Eternity, in that way I'm happy it was the last KQ game so the trend could not continue.

Add Comment