User Avatar Image

Are you religious?

posted by JedExodus on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Well, are you? Just interested in seeing how everyone round these parts is inclined.

Personally, I dunno what the story is myself, caught in a game of Pascals wager and open minded specticism.

So vote and discuss, it goes without saying that if you disagree with someone's views you don't have to stamp your feet and bore us to death about how you're right and others are wrong

222 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm an Athiest I just don't belive there can be a god watching and judging us.

• @coolsome said: I'm an Athiest I just don't belive there can be a god watching and judging us.

If he was you'd be going straight to hell bucko :p

• @JedExodus said: If he was you'd be going straight to hell bucko :p

Id gladly go to hell rather then change:rolleyes:...well probably not gladly.

• thread being locked up in 3.....2.......

• @coolguy721 said: thread being locked up in 3.....2.......

There have been several religion threads that have prospered for quite some time. I think this one has a chance. Especially, since it's a poll, which limits interaction.

• No. I am not religious.

I don't believe in God.

In fact, I believe moreso in the idea that everything just happens randomly.
    Something randomly becomes something else, which randomly becomes somthing else.
    Why couldn't we just pop into existance (if we actually exist in that sense).

As for Religion (which even though is linked to the belief in god, though is mostly a seperate concept), I have never felt the need to pick any up.

Don't think of it as ignorance or offensive though, after all I spent most of my childhood in a church of England school, I went to choirs, assemblys (which always involved praying and a story from the bible), and have been in church.
    I just never really absorbed any of it. Most of the morals just seemed like common sense, and those that didn't I just ignored anyway.

I guess I'm one of those odd type of people who prefer to define their own way of life, their own morals and routines.

• No, there's not a knee-jerk policy to lock religion threads. That said, they almost inevitably turn bad, and if/when they do, that's when they get locked.

As for myself, I'd say I fall somewhere between agnostic and confused, but I voted agnostic.

• At some level I always will be. Was agnostic into my college years until, for lack of better words, I had a divine experience.

I don't believe in a God who watches waiting to judge, but I do believe there are general principles of right and wrong.

• I, personally, like Pascal's view on the issue, which I quote from Wikipedia.

@Wikipedia said: [Even] though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

Of course, Sir Terry Pratchett has an equally valid opinion.

@Wikipedia said: This is very similar to the suggestion put forward by the Quirmian philosopher Ventre, who said, "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If its all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isnt then you've lost nothing right?" When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said, "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts...".

So...maybe that isn't the best way to go about things.

• @GuruGuru214 said: No, there's not a knee-jerk policy to lock religion threads. That said, they almost inevitably turn bad, and if/when they do, that's when they get locked.

It is my fond hope that people will see how tedious it is to argue over something that's been argued over for a long long time by greater minds than the rabble that we are still haven't gotten anywhere.

I mean what're we gonna do, start a new age of enlightenment :p

@GuruGuru214 said: I, personally, like Pascal's view on the issue, which I quote from Wikipedia.

I already name-dropped Pascal, boom! However I did not name-drop Pratchett. I tip my hat to you My hat is not a Ushanka, Pants. Ushankas are shit

Add Comment