User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Song(s) You Heard

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

I don't know how far this topic'll go, but it could be interesting. I guess it depends how often you guys listen to music; I do it every day!

I'll start. You can post links too if you want. I mostly only ever listen to songs I like, so this list might end up being rather silly. :D

Under the Boardwalk - Bruce Willis and the Temptations - 11/11

Joy to the World - Three Dog Night - 11/11

La Bamba - Ritchie Valens - 11/11

Devil Woman - Bruce Willis - 9/11

Sinner's Prayer - Bruce Willis, BB King, and Billy Preston - 10/11

Everybody Jam! - Scatman John - 11/11

Snow Road - Yuka Tsujiyoko - 9/11

Friday - Rebecca Black - 0/11 Because it's the cool thing to say.

285 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JedExodus said: Yeah, but it doesn't mean it's okay. SHAME ON RORY'S CORPSE!!

How DARE you say such things about a dead man, you bastard!

(Oh, and 9.5/10 for that link, by the way.)

• @Hayden said: How DARE you say such things about a dead man, you bastard!

(Oh, and 9.5/10 for that link, by the way.)

Bwahahahahahaa!! Excellent stuff!! My tea went down the wrong way when he started on Princess Di. But brings home a very valid point, you don't get your wings in the grave!!

• Rebecca Black - "Friday" - x2.gif
    It just doesn't get worse than this; this is just the pinnacle of crappiness in 'music'. I forced myself to listen to the whole of it yesterday (which was Tuesday) and really couldn't believe just how incredibly awful this track was. I practically tortured myself. How the hell do people like this get recording deals? She sounds like a horse with a cold, and her lyrics read like the diary of a nine-year-old girl (but in present tense, and not as well written). But apart from this track featuring the worst lyrics I've ever heard and some of the worst vocals I've ever heard on record, it features almost every trait that mainstream music is guilty of these days: grinding repetition, generic music, the token black rapper half-way through the song, and complete lack of originality both in the composition and in the choice of subject matter. Almost every track in the charts is guilty of these things, it's just that they've been amplified in this track and have become blatantly obvious. But the thing is that if it weren't for the over-descriptive, terrible lyrics and awful vocal delivery, the masses probably wouldn't pick up on these aforementioned problems, and would probably just swallow it like all the other rubbish that's fed to them. Absolutely no thought has gone into creating this 'song', and it frustrates me that talentless, brainless people can put some hollow, meaningless lyrics over the top of a generic background piece of music and still gain more recognition and success than somebody who can create the most thoughtful, articulate, profound poetry and integrate it with a cleverly composed that complements it perfectly. That's crap; that's not how things should work. But hey, I guess that's just how things go. The industry has been like this for a while now, but I think that it's reached a new low. Sure, Miss Black has been ripped on quite a bit and has met some serious criticism, but whether her music is acknowledged as being bad or not is beside the point; she still got a recording deal and she's still getting attention, which is all any artist needs.

Now I know why I usually avoid mainstream music altogether, but my curiosity got the best of me on this occasion.

Jonathan Coulton - "Still Alive" - 9/10
    I heard it for the first time after finishing 'Portal' for the first time last night. I was surprised at how much I liked it. It's incredibly catchy, I think that it's well-written and those lyrics are smart and pretty funny. Overall, I think that the song suits 'Portal' really well, and it was a nice way of capping off a great gaming experience.

Laurie Anderson - "Another Day In America"
    I don't feel I have the right to give this a score, since I don't think I fully understand this form of music. It's more just poetry read out over the top of a very dull, obscure, but great piece of music. But I do very much like the poetry; the words being said are rather strange, but understandable, and are hauntingly beautiful in a way, and very philosophical. These elements just seem to come together and form something that is enjoyable to listen to, and something that I can easily listen to for a long time. I don't know exactly what I find appealing in this track, but I do know that I enjoy it immensely.

Primus - "Tommy the Cat" - 9/10
    Damn these guys are strange, but I love them. I first heard them about a month ago at Soundwave (music festival). I'd never even heard them prior to this, and I was relatively blown away by their performance. I was just so impressed with their musicianship, mostly Claypool's bass-work, which was some of the best I'd ever seen. This was one of the songs they played in their set, and it was one that impressed me the most. Luckily, it's almost just as impressive on-CD as it was live. Like any Primus track (well, all of the Primus track that I've heard), there's some incredibly catchy, funky, zany music backed up by great musicianship and instrumentation. Primus sucks!

Dream Theater - "In the Name of God" - 10/10
    A truly amazing, monumental progressive metal epic! At over 14 minutes, this track holds my attention for the entirety of it. Beginning with the great opening riff, the song goes through many stages and transitions that range from a slow, powerful and anthemic chorus, to Metallica-esque, guitar driven sections, to quiet jams, to a ridiculously fast guitar solo, to an epic(for want of better word) outtro in which DT have integrated an old war hymn. I love everything about this track; every minute of it; every aspect of it; every section, whether it be heavy, soft, fast or slow. It's a very well-written song, musically.

Also, another thing that must be commended is the lyrics of this track, which deal with the topic of religious corruption. They're quite articulate, and very memorable (well, for me, anyway). And they're delivered greatly by LaBrie, who gives a terrific vocal performance on this occasion.

@JedExodus said: Bwahahahahahaa!! Excellent stuff!! My tea went down the wrong way when he started on Princess Di. But brings home a very valid point, you don't get your wings in the grave!!

Great, isn't it. I will admit that I found some of it to be in poor taste, but there's no arguing that the song itself is very funny and clever. And the message presented is undeniably true.

• @Hayden said: Rebecca Black - "Friday" - x2.gif

My curiosity finally got the best of me after reading this. I can't argue with any of it, but I will say that this version is a hell of a lot more fun to watch/listen to, plus it was for a good cause. The song still sucks, though.

• @GuruGuru214 said: My curiosity finally got the best of me after reading this. I can't argue with any of it, but I will say that this version is a hell of a lot more fun to watch/listen to, plus it was for a good cause. The song still sucks, though.

Wow, somebody actually took the time to read through my rant :D. But yeah, it is quite awful. I think the critics are right in labeling it the worst song of all time.

Haha! That version of great :). Not the fact that it actually sounds very good (it does sound better, though), but, as you said, because it's a lot more fun to watch. And the fact that it's taking the piss, mostly, and not trying to be taken seriously.

• Justin Bieber - Baby 10/10

whats not to like about this song?

• Bruce Springsteen - "Magic" - 10/10
    This song I've come to appreciate the more I've listened to it, and now I absolutely love it. This track is perfect for late night/early morning listening; best appreciated at a moment when you're completely relaxed and unoccupied. It's one of the songs that I like to listen to when I want think, reminisce or reflect upon things. It's one of the few songs that evokes real emotion in me. It's great.

• @Hayden said: Bruce Springsteen - "Magic" - 10/10
    This song I've come to appreciate the more I've listened to it, and now I absolutely love it. This track is perfect for late night/early morning listening; best appreciated at a moment when you're completely relaxed and unoccupied. It's one of the songs that I like to listen to when I want think, reminisce or reflect upon things. It's one of the few songs that evokes real emotion in me. It's great.

:o

Was it you I recommended that album to ages ago?

• @JedExodus said: :o

Was it you I recommended that album to ages ago?

Haha, yep. And I'm still grateful ;).

I don't listen to the album non-stop/constantly, like I do with some of my favourite albums, but this album is one that I like to come back to every now and then and re-appreciate.

• @Hayden said: Haha, yep. And I'm still grateful ;).

I don't listen to the album non-stop/constantly, like I do with some of my favourite albums, but this album is one that I like to come back to every now and then and re-appreciate.

Oh yeah def, it's not a flat-out kinda album.

Though 'Long Walk Home' is the stuff of long lazy Sunday afternoons :D

I'm in a summery mood at the moment so i've been listening to some choice Mad Caddies, here's one of my favourites whilst I do a bit of fishing out the back

Mad Caddies - Souls for Sale

Add Comment