User Avatar Image

Adventure Games: 3D vs. 2D

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

I'm not sure if it's kosher to make my first post here a new topic, but this thread idea pertains well to an adventure gaming board.

As an adventure-gamer, do you prefer sprite-based games (Day of the Tentacle, Kings Quest, etc.) or 3D-modeled games (Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 4)?

I personally prefer the scheme of a good old 2D adventure game, because 3D adventure games seem harder to control, especially since they don't use the mouse. I guess I wouldn't complain if I could use the mouse when I control my characters' movements, though.

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

You have 6 of the 10 most rescent posts on the front page. That's impressive in my books.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

lol i have lots of time to post

thats why i am sir yakalot :D

:-/

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

lol i have lots of time to post

thats why i am sir yakalot :D

:-/

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Is there an echo in here?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

The 3D/2D topic to me is like comparing charcoal drawings and pencil drawings. Each has has their own artistic value that changes the perception of the artistic content. To say that one is better than the other is to say that certain media of art work is invalid or obsolete.

That said, I believe that there are 3D titles that would have worked better 3D and vise versa. "The Longest Journey" may have benefited artistically in a full 2D production since the modeling work didn't live up to the pre-rendered backgrounds. Not to mention that April changes appearance between the box art, the different LAVs, and the actual playable character. However, I am excited to see the production of Dreamfall and confident that Ragnar T�rnquist will still keep his quality storytelling skills and have a presentation that will match his rich narratives.

But is there room for 2D? I think so. I'm sorta banking on it with my own project Antidote. It's a graphic adventure much like Myst, but is heavily dependent on live-action video and existing sets (only one scene will be CGI'd). As long as the interface is solid and with a narrative that engages the user, that's all I need to care about. If a player can't get beyond a 3D rendered space, then there is no hope for me to tell the story to them. They are only looking for pencil drawings.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

dont think 2d doesnt have a comercial future

• I don't know why everyone is convinced 2d adventure games don't have a future. When it comes to games like these I find they are the best in 2d. Just like how the 2d fighter is harder to find these days they are still out there. Games like Guilty Gear still do fine for fighting games. So why not adventure games ? I guess if people see 2d games as having less value they are less likely to spend 80 bucks on it instead of a 3d game but thats for us to decide. I know I'd pay for a quality adventure game in 2d provided it was long and hard enough to warrent a buy but the price of games vs worth is another topic for another day....

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]dont think 2d doesnt have a comercial future[/quote]

2D comics have a future, 2D cartoons have, 2D paintings have, hell, even my computer-screen is only 2D! ;)

Certainly for 'realism', 3D delivers more... but I want toonish games...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

2d can be cartoonish,3d also

ps: beware of that vampira after you :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]ps: beware of that vampira after you :D[/quote]

Vampira?
    Where?
    Next to the three-headed monkey?
    :D

Add Comment