User Avatar Image

How should this game handle ingame deaths?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

How should this KQ game approach dying? Specifically, should it have a "Restore/Restart/Quit" popup with only manual saves, should it have a "Try Again" popup with autosaves set right before encountering unavoidable death, or should it have less frequent autosaves and still require you to manually restore?

Do you have any different ideas?

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said:

I got just as much satisfaction from playing/solving DOTT and Myst as I did from KQ games.

So did I. But for completely different reasons. I outlined those reasons above. LucasArts games had witty and funny dialogue and great storytelling to make up for it. King's Quest was great for completely different reasons. That's why there are fans of Sierra and people who hate Sierra. And the same for LucasArts and Myst games. You can't compare the two that way.

I find the gameplay equally satisfying, there's nothing about the gameplay in Myst or DOTT that needs to be "made up for" as far as I'm concerned, and to me these games and KQ were all great for very similar reasons. (And in my book, story and dialogue can only go so far to compensate for gameplay deficiencies anyway.) That's why I characterized your post as sounding like the possibility of death with real consequences is necessary for you to be satisfied with gameplay, if not the overall game. Which is fine, lots of gamers would agree. :) I was just saying that I can go either way on the issue of death and consequences and wouldn't argue, in the abstract, that one style makes for more satisfying gameplay than the other.

In this specific case, however, I argue that if you're renewing a franchise in which death and consequences were centrally important, those aspects of gameplay should be preserved at least as an option. But I think we're all agreed on the need for choice, so I'm enjoying the latter part of this thread as a more general discussion on death and consequences in gaming. It's an interesting one even if KQ is being used as the whipping boy by one side. :p God knows Myst gets used as a whipping boy by the opposite side (often by people who've never played it!) in these kinds of discussions all the time, so consider the table turned. :D

• That's an excellent post you have there.

:D

• Heck, for me, some of the replay value came in trying to find the various ways to kill off Graham/Larry/Roger/Valanice/Rosella/Gwydion/Alexander after I'd played the game a few times already just to see the ways they would rip into me for failing. Personal favorite from Space Quest III: Deceleration Trauma: Its not the fall that gets you, its the sudden stop at the bottom.

• Lol. Good times. Personally, I feel completely differently about Space Quest, though. Games where death is a huge source of the comedy I'd actually feel ok with adding retries. As an adventure game I'm against it, but as a Space Quest game at the same time I'm ok with it.

• Yeah! Half the fun of Space Quest is seeing all the deaths! I know we put a lot of charm and effort into all the animations and other special fun stuff that accompanies dying in our SQ2 game.

Bt

• How's that coming along, Blackthorne?

• @ScreamingFalcon said: How's that coming along, Blackthorne?

Very well. The game is complete and fully playable. Just squashing bugs and adding polish. Work has slowed down lately as several of our team members are especially busy with work/school this time of year. Summer should hopefully see the last few kinks ironed out. We're very confident it will be out this year, sooner rather than later.

• For Space Quest nuts, I recall there is a website that has all of the death scenes in it. I think it was called "The Many Deaths of Roger Wilco" or something like that.

• @ScreamingFalcon said: How's that coming along, Blackthorne?

Just like Lambo said - we're working hard on it, but everyone's been busy with their real lives - school, jobs, wives, kids..... heh. But yeah, we're moving along - a few bug polishes, a couple of graphic tweaks, a lot of voice recording.... but it's playable as it is now - we've been going through it like crazy. We've kept all the deaths in, and I think we even added a few. We also took the time to make "death screens" for all of them, ala SQ3.

Like this....
    sq2rogerdead.jpg
    This one, of course, is an homage to one you'd find in SQIII and IV. We've got more..... little animations for all of them. We had a gruesome and fun time making them, let me tell you.

They were so much fun, and we spent a lot of time chuckling over them. I couldn't imagine a Sierra game without the deaths.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said:
    They were so much fun, and we spent a lot of time chuckling over them. I couldn't imagine a Sierra game without the deaths.

Heh, nice Bt.

And note the distinct lack of a namby-pamby "Retry" button on that GUI. Rock on.

Add Comment