User Avatar Image

Encyclopedia Dramatica is dead!

posted by coolsome on - last edited - Viewed by 574 users

It has become "Oh internet" and from what I can tell its a page about internet culture n stuff.

Sherrod DeGrippio's reasoning was that "Shock for shock’s sake is old at this point and we're looking forward to the future and how things are evolving... when you put user experience first, the language becomes highly important and that's what we’ve done."

I think what she means is "I like money".

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @RAnthonyMahan said: No. It was...uh...how do I put this...

    Well, it was partially a wiki about Internet culture, with articles about memes, websites, and...notorious individuals. And it was partially a shock humor site (I should add that almost every article was outright insulting its subject).



    Another difference was that it was occasionally funny, unlike Uncyclopedia

  • I loved ED. I wouldn't mind if they turned down the shock value for shock value's sake so much if the new UI wasn't so obnoxious and as ugly as sin.

  • @RAnthonyMahan said: Why do you say this? I'm not trying to disagree with you (it's no secret that ED had a lot of problems, to put things politely), I'm just curious about your reasoning.



    @RAnthonyMahan said: Dead baby real pics for humor. That's just one of the reasons I'm glad its gone forever.

    Well there's this. I personally found the site to be rather hateful.

  • @Secret Fawful said: Well there's this. I personally found the site to be rather hateful.



    That was its thing. it'd insult something or someone, then insult the polar opposite/antithesis of it. There was no real hate, equal opportunity offenders and all that

  • It wouldn't hurt someone to have a passively "hurtful" site somewhere, to be honest. ED's real philosophy is to criticize something within a perspective that isn't restricted by ANY ethical rules whatsoever. With that, they were actually quite talented about bringing up legit points that noone else could do, for a variety of reasons that most normal people weren't even aware of said reasons' existence until they see some other people using such arguments. Maybe I read into it too much, but I think ED was a way of rediscovering social and cultural restrictions and getting aware of them. After that point, you can always choose by which perspective you want to use in YOUR life. There were many times I disagreed with ED but at least they showed an option, and when I disagreed with them I became aware of my own personal weaknesses. ED wasn't restricted by nationalism, communism, christianity, islam, or ETHICS, or WHATEVER; they were truthfully objective. One might say they were restricted by anarchism, but they never really hurt anyone other than people who openly claimed to be offended by ED, aka people who fed the trolls; and STILL the damage ED bestowed was never a physical one.

    Like how JedExodus put it, it was equal opportunity of getting insulted for everyone, BY everyone --everyone who got bored of many systems we are currently living in.

    It's hateful and I'm sorry but, noone should baww over pixels like pussies and grow some balls to READ. That is why ED was actually quite famous; not just because newfags could puke gallons of text with lots of swearing about their ex-girlfriends.

  • @JedExodus said: Another difference was that it was occasionally funny, unlike Uncyclopedia



    What's not to love about Age of Umpires?

  • @Mr Nutt said: What's not to love about Age of Umpires?



    Well, it's not very funny; for one.

  • A friend of mine who has Asperger's Syndrome posted on her Facebook Wall once about how she had found the "articles" on ED about Asperger's and Autism which belittled and mocked people who were diagnosed with same. She was really very upset about it, so I, having never visited ED before, explored the site and discovered that ED belittles and mock pretty much everything that it is possible to do so, apparently merely for the sake of getting a rise out of people (or perhaps for stupidity's sake.)

    I told her that ED makes fun of everything and not to worry about it. (Actually, I also created an account there and tried to remove much of offensive info on the articles in question, but they banned my account and reversed my actions within half an hour of my doing so.)

  • @Chyron8472 said: A friend of mine who has Asperger's Syndrome posted on her Facebook Wall once about how she had found the "articles" on ED about Asperger's and Autism which belittled and mocked people who were diagnosed with same. She was really very upset about it, so I, having never visited ED before, explored the site and discovered that ED belittles and mock pretty much everything that it is possible to do so, apparently merely for the sake of getting a rise out of people (or perhaps for stupidity's sake.)

    I told her that ED makes fun of everything and not to worry about it. (Actually, I also created an account there and tried to remove much of offensive info on the articles in question, but they banned my account and reversed my actions within half an hour of my doing so.)



    I tried to argue something similar to this. See, you don't *have* to read their site and they've got the freedom to make fun of anyone and everyone - and they do.

    Undoing the articles is like trying to patch a leak on a cardboard steamship; it's not going to do shit.

  • I'm glad ED is gone. I admit I did find it funny sometimes but the shock images and jokes about murdered kids and other sick things on there where to far IMO. Its true that if you don't like it don't go so that's why I stopped. But I'm still aloud to be happy its gone though freedom of speech goes both ways meaning I can express my happiness its gone.

Add Comment