User Avatar Image

How to Handle Deaths (Revised Poll)

posted by chucklas on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

There has been much debate over how to handle deaths in this game. I want to present a single option asd ask, would this be ok with you?

So, if they were to implement the retry option as the default and allow the user to disable it and only save manually if they choose, would you be satisfied with that compromise?

168 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I personally like the system from SQ6--where you had the "Restore" and "Try Again" buttons on the same death message screen.

In conjunction with that, why not have some sort of penalty for using retries? What if you lost points for using the retry button, so that you had to never use it at all in order to get a perfect score? (Assuming Telltale includes a point score, that is.) I think some sort of gameplay penalty, where you get a less than optimal final result, is an adequate compensation for the use of retries.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

Yep, I was going to mention losing points for retrying as another option, too. There are many ways to modernize this and make it better than it used to be.

• Let me just say that I consider myself to be a hardcore adventure game fan, and if Telltale doesn't allow me to disable the option to Retry (ie. restore to a safe point immediately before death) I will be annoyed.

Now, granted I will also not say that KQ7 was a bad game. Sure, it has its issues for me personally (ie. a chapter select screen at New Game; single-action cursor; Retry upon death,) but they are not enough to qualify the game as worse than KQ5 (which doesn't have a Retry option) though I believe KQ7 would be all the better for fixing these things.

Still, I would certainly prefer and greatly appreciate the option to disable Retry and, separately, Autosave in Telltale's KQ.

• I will happily say that KQ7 is a giant, chunky, turd of a game. Worst KQ game BY FAR. haha

• I'd rather not be allowed to just pretend my mistake didn't happen.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

@Chyron8472 said: Let me just say that I consider myself to be a hardcore adventure game fan, and if Telltale doesn't allow me to disable the option to Retry (ie. restore to a safe point immediately before death) I will be annoyed.

So... if you are presented with the option to retry and restore all at the same time, you'd choose retry over restore and then be annoyed at Telltale for tempting you to do that? In that case you should be annoyed at yourself for falling for it, instead of keeping to your principle of using restore instead, no? :) If you were to use it, it means you are happy with it. I wouldn't do something that annoys me over something that pleases me. Would you?

That analogy sounds a bit like using a walkthrough and then being annoyed at the person who made the walkthrough for making it. :) But I guess to each their own --I just find it funny.

• No, it's like playing Back to the Future and having goal tasks pop up all the time that I can't ignore. I wish to God that they could be turned off but they can't. Don't tell me "just don't read them" because that's really a foolish thing to suggest. Using a walkthrough is entirely different because it doesn't automatically come packaged with the game and the game won't ever prompt you to look at it.

Yes, I would be bothered by the temptation. I don't want to feel like I'm continuously purposefully making the game harder for myself. What I want is to tell the game once that I don't want Retries, and have the game stop dangling it in front of me like "are you SURE you don't want to?"

Really Cez, come on now.

EDIT: Okay, I'll run with your mention of walkthroughs, since I thought of a store-bought strategy guide that really rubs me the wrong way. The Final Fantasy IX Official Strategy Guide by BradyGames has places all over it in the margins that refer to PlayOnline.com with various codes which must be input on said website to read further game hints and information. What I want is a standalone guide with all the pertinent info included in print. Sadly, no such guide exists in paper form for FF9, but I digress. You might say "just don't visit the site if you don't want to" but the fact that the guide constantly bothers me about it is of great annoyance to me.

So the same goes for always having a Retry button bothering me in a KQ game when it is not wanted.

• Man, I wish I had a retry button for the first time I had sex. But no.... I had to restore.....

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: Man, I wish I had a retry button for the first time I had sex. But no.... I had to restore.....

Bt

I tried restarting, but ended up just having to quit.

• I'm trying to think up a witty statement for Error 52 (or whichever it was) from QFG4....but I fail greatly at wit most of the time.

Add Comment